Page 1 of 324 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Prospects

Draft Prospects

It's never too early to start talking about some of the prospects coming up in this year's draft. Who are some guys you are looking at and want to be in a Ravens Uni (Realistically).

For me I love Michael Brewster, C out of Ohio State. He can run block and pass block very well. Can get into the 2nd level very quickly and has been a 4 year starter at OSU. Late 1st, Early 2nd Round grade due to the center position lacking real value in the draft.

Also, besides when we traded up for Oher, Ozzie hasn't really had to move up for anyone special IIRC. If Vontaze Burfict falls past 15, I have a feeling we would need to move up. Probably one of the best LB prospects to come out of college since Willis.

Thoughts?

Re: Draft Prospects

Dwight Jones is another guy I'm keeping my eye on. Having a 1-2 punch of Torrey Smith and Dwight Jones with Boldin in the slot would be dangerous.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    It's never too early to start talking about some of the prospects coming up in this year's draft. Who are some guys you are looking at and want to be in a Ravens Uni (Realistically).

For me I love Michael Brewster, C out of Ohio State. He can run block and pass block very well. Can get into the 2nd level very quickly and has been a 4 year starter at OSU. Late 1st, Early 2nd Round grade due to the center position lacking real value in the draft.

Also, besides when we traded up for Oher, Ozzie hasn't really had to move up for anyone special IIRC. If Vontaze Burfict falls past 15, I have a feeling we would need to move up. Probably one of the best LB prospects to come out of college since Willis.

Thoughts?
    With the way the draft system is now and 1st round picks not costing nearly as much as they used to, I think you'll start seeing a lot less trades in round 1.

Plus, I can't see any way that Vontaze Burfict falls out of the top 12 picks.

If the Ravens want to use a rd 1 pick on an ILB they're going to be looking at guys like Manti T'eo and Dont'a Hightower because that is who will be around when the Ravens pick towards the bottom of round 1. There is a slight chance that Luke Kuechly could fall...I doubt it though. He and Burfict are top notch prospects.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    With the way the draft system is now and 1st round picks not costing nearly as much as they used to, I think you'll start seeing a lot less trades in round 1.
    Id have to disagree. I think youll see more trades in the top 10 with the picks not being so risky. Bad teams will still trade down for more picksand good teams will still trade up for that one player they think theyre missing. You probably wont see much of a change in quantity of trades overall but I bet people move around in the Top 10 a lot more than in years past.

Do we go OL or ILB seems to be the question. I can see getting one more year out of McKinnie and Oher, but if Grubbs goes i have to think 1st or 2nd will address that. I dont follow college at all but Im hearing theres a decent class of ILB as opposed to last year which had none. I think Ray might be retiring after this year, win or lose, so if that happens I can easily see an ILB with the first and OL with the second and maybe another WR with the 3rd if Evans is let go. I know that seems like drafting for needs which Oz doesnt do, but im just trying to value our needs. Im sure Oz will draft wherever he gets the best value/BPA.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Id have to disagree. I think youll see more trades in the top 10 with the picks not being so risky. Bad teams will still trade down for more picksand good teams will still trade up for that one player they think theyre missing. You probably wont see much of a change in quantity of trades overall but I bet people move around in the Top 10 a lot more than in years past.
    I can certainly see your point on this. I just think that now because the top 10 picks are not as much of a financial and contractual burden you won't see so many teams trying to trade out of the top 10. 3 years ago whoever had the #1 pick had a hell of a time trying to determine if the guy they wanted as their top pick was worth THAT kind of money. Now, it's a lot more reasonable to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Do we go OL or ILB seems to be the question. I can see getting one more year out of McKinnie and Oher, but if Grubbs goes i have to think 1st or 2nd will address that. I dont follow college at all but Im hearing theres a decent class of ILB as opposed to last year which had none. I think Ray might be retiring after this year, win or lose, so if that happens I can easily see an ILB with the first and OL with the second and maybe another WR with the 3rd if Evans is let go. I know that seems like drafting for needs which Oz doesnt do, but im just trying to value our needs. Im sure Oz will draft wherever he gets the best value/BPA.
    Well, I think that Ozzie has gotten a close up look at what this OL is like with Grubbs out of the picture and it isn't pretty at all. Grubbs is a must stay. McKinnie can stick around for that option year on his current deal with the Ravens and relatively speaking, he's pretty inexpensive and he's done a decent job this year. Not great, but decent. Better than Oher on the left side. The only other option - to me - that makes sense here it so shuffle Oher to LG and start Jah Reid next year at RT. That's a worst-case-scenario in that they can't re-sign Grubbs.

I really think that the Ravens are going to be looking at LT prospects, C prospects, and pass rushers in next year's draft. At least early on in the draft.

Courtney Upshaw is a good pick prediction. He's comfortable in a 3-4 scheme as an OLB, has a great size/speed combo (6'2" 260lbs), and has a lot of pass rushing "moves". With the number of teams running a 3-4 right now and looking for that hybrid DE/OLB type of player, Upshaw is going to be a popular choice and highly sought after.

However, with the way Kruger has been playing and the fact that they kept McAdoo and still have Kindle on the books, I think they'll hold off on a pass rusher right away.

I really feel like the Ravens are going to be looking for that LT in this draft.

Keep your eyes on Barrett Jones from Alabama (6'5" 315lbs) and Mike Adams from Ohio State (6'8" 320lbs).

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I really think that the Ravens are going to be looking at LT prospects, C prospects, and pass rushers in next year's draft. ...
    However, with the way Kruger has been playing and the fact that they kept McAdoo and still have Kindle on the books, I think they'll hold off on a pass rusher right away. ...
    Keep your eyes on Barrett Jones from Alabama (6'5" 315lbs) and Mike Adams from Ohio State (6'8" 320lbs).
    I forgot about McAdoo, good call.

Would love to see the Ravens grab a LT early, and/or a Center. You know Ozzie is well aware of all the Alabama guys.

Blog Entries

Jim - agreed.

I really like Barrett Jones as a late 1st round OL prospect.

This guy has played left and right guard, played right tackle last year and swapped over to left tackle this year for Alabama and has done a hell of a job every where he's gone. He's a fantastic run blocker and he's proven to a lot of skeptics that he can be a reliable pass blocker as well. We all know that Ozzie and Harbaugh value utility and flexibility, so I could certainly see them having Barrett Jones on their big board.

As it stands, I see the Ravens taking Hightower. Though they really need a center as well.

I know I've mentioned Michael Brewster since my first day joining here a few months ago. He's the most polished, starter-ready C in the draft. However, Peter Konz out of Wisconsin might be the better prospect. Konz is massively strong for a C (6-4/315) and, although his technique isn't as polished as Brewster, he seems to be the type of player who is so physically advanced that he can still be dominant while his technique is developing.

Burfict is falling fairly steadily. He seemed a lock to be a top 8 pick entering the season, but a lot of mock drafts I'm seeing now have him in that 14-16. It's not crazy to think he could be around in the late first round. That having been said, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have Teo or Hightower even up anyways. I think in terms of consistency, attitude, and showing to play every game, they might be the safer pick anyways. I've watched Burfict play twice this year and he seems to take plays off now and then. Someone said that Burfict is the best true LB prospect since Willis. I don't think he's nearly as good as Rolando McClain from the 2010 draft.

Don't sleep on Zach Brown (LB, North Carolina) either for our 1st round pick. He is rising fast and might be viewed as the superior LB prospect above Teo and Hightower.

As far as 2nd rounders go, I'd salivate at the thought of Mark Barron slipping to us. He is everything you want to see from a player who figures to be Reed's eventual replacement . He's physical, runs well, is a good leader, and very heady. If Barron isn't around, I wouldn't mind us looking S with the pick and select either Markelle Martin (Ok. St) or TJ McDonald (USC).

I can also see us double dipping on the D-line this draft, like we did at CB and WR last year. We only have 4 true D-linemen under contract for next year (Jones, Ngata, Cody, McPhee). I guess it's possible that one out of Redding/McKinney might be back, but that still gives us room for two draftees. If we use that 2nd round pick on a D-linemen, I'd love to see Jared Crick be there when we draft in the late 2nd round, however that might be a stretch. A more realistic target might be Josh Chapman (NT, Alabama---Cody's replacement) or Alameda Ta' Amu (Washington). I also have heard good things about Cam Johnson (DE, Virginia) Vinny Curry (DE/OLB, Marshall) or Brandon Lindsey (DE/OLB, Pitt). I think Johnson is truer D-lineman than the other two, so he would be my preference, especially since we have Kruger/Kindle as the rush LB type player now anyways.

As good as JJ is at setting the edge and making heady plays all over the field, I see less and less of a chance he returns with each passing week. He really deteriorated down the 2nd half of the year last year and his play seems to be heading the same direction this year.

If the Ravens don't go with Konz/Brewster in the first round, Ben Jones (C, Georgia) is likely to be available with their 2nd round pick. He isn't as big of a slam dunk type prospect as the other two, but should be a starter-caliber player from day one and does have a decent upside.

Walter Football, which runs an excellent draft, has us drafting Brandon Weeden in the 3rd round. I don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I know I've mentioned Michael Brewster since my first day joining here a few months ago. He's the most polished, starter-ready C in the draft. However, Peter Konz out of Wisconsin might be the better prospect. Konz is massively strong for a C (6-4/315) and, although his technique isn't as polished as Brewster, he seems to be the type of player who is so physically advanced that he can still be dominant while his technique is developing.

Burfict is falling fairly steadily. He seemed a lock to be a top 8 pick entering the season, but a lot of mock drafts I'm seeing now have him in that 14-16. It's not crazy to think he could be around in the late first round. That having been said, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have Teo or Hightower even up anyways. I think in terms of consistency, attitude, and showing to play every game, they might be the safer pick anyways. I've watched Burfict play twice this year and he seems to take plays off now and then. Someone said that Burfict is the best true LB prospect since Willis. I don't think he's nearly as good as Rolando McClain from the 2010 draft.

Don't sleep on Zach Brown (LB, North Carolina) either for our 1st round pick. He is rising fast and might be viewed as the superior LB prospect above Teo and Hightower.

As far as 2nd rounders go, I'd salivate at the thought of Mark Barron slipping to us. He is everything you want to see from a player who figures to be Reed's eventual replacement . He's physical, runs well, is a good leader, and very heady. If Barron isn't around, I wouldn't mind us looking S with the pick and select either Markelle Martin (Ok. St) or TJ McDonald (USC).

I can also see us double dipping on the D-line this draft, like we did at CB and WR last year. We only have 4 true D-linemen under contract for next year (Jones, Ngata, Cody, McPhee). I guess it's possible that one out of Redding/McKinney might be back, but that still gives us room for two draftees. If we use that 2nd round pick on a D-linemen, I'd love to see Jared Crick be there when we draft in the late 2nd round, however that might be a stretch. A more realistic target might be Josh Chapman (NT, Alabama---Cody's replacement) or Alameda Ta' Amu (Washington). I also have heard good things about Cam Johnson (DE, Virginia) Vinny Curry (DE/OLB, Marshall) or Brandon Lindsey (DE/OLB, Pitt). I think Johnson is truer D-lineman than the other two, so he would be my preference, especially since we have Kruger/Kindle as the rush LB type player now anyways.

As good as JJ is at setting the edge and making heady plays all over the field, I see less and less of a chance he returns with each passing week. He really deteriorated down the 2nd half of the year last year and his play seems to be heading the same direction this year.

If the Ravens don't go with Konz/Brewster in the first round, Ben Jones (C, Georgia) is likely to be available with their 2nd round pick. He isn't as big of a slam dunk type prospect as the other two, but should be a starter-caliber player from day one and does have a decent upside.
    OL and ILB have to be priorities...with maybe S being right behind.

I like Brewster a lot...considering he along with Peter Konz out of Wisconsin are probably the only guys that will be late 1st/early 2nd round guys.

For ILB, I like Teo but not a big fan of Hightower. Not sure if there are any other late 1st guys...we know Burfict and Kuechley probably will be off the board before then.

I think it's also time to look at safeties...I really like both of Bama's safeties...Lester and Barron.

Blog Entries

More than anything they need to stop ignoring the ILB problem or trying to patch it with bad players and use a high pick (1st or 2nd round) on one. Ray potentially retiring could force the team's hand on that, but even if he doesn't, ILB is by far the weakest position on the team behind him.