Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Has Manti Te'o been taken off the Ravens' board?

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Ravens would be foolish to remove a player from their draft board because he was duped. There are quite a few players that should be removed before Teo if they were removing players because of character. Ogletree was described by a member of one team's front office as an "immature idiot". I would be more worried about a player like that than a player who may be naive.

Ravens usually do their homework and past transgressions are not automatic for removal. See Jimmy Smith.
    I was just going to bring up Jimmy Smith as a counterexample. A team that would draft Smith but not even consider Te'o because of "distractions" would be a very bad organization, and we know the Ravens aren't that.

Blog Entries

Jimmy kept his nose clean for three years and graduated. T'eo couldn't even put all of the pieces together with the inadequacies of the story. Yet, this is going to be your first pick, a guy you aren't even sure you can trust with this story? At least with Jimmy, you had evidence that he stayed out of trouble for three years.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Jimmy kept his nose clean for three years and graduated. T'eo couldn't even put all of the pieces together with the inadequacies of the story. Yet, this is going to be your first pick, a guy you aren't even sure you can trust with this story? At least with Jimmy, you had evidence that he stayed out of trouble for three years.
    Jimmy Smith had good game tape AND combine/pro-day measurables seemed to indicate that his game would translate well. To this point Jimmy has kept his nose clean to my knowledge. His injury problems do not seem the Gaither/character type. They seem real and tangible. Still think that if he can put those behind him he has the talent to be a pretty good CB in this league.

T'eo has the tape but the measurables are not there. His lack of speed has to be concerning. Throw in the character issues and I tend to think that he is not the kind of guy Ozzie is going to take a chance on in the 1st. The upside in the 1st is not enough.

Have seen others compare his poor combine/pro-day results and issues to Burfict. There is a huge difference between taking a shot on a guy in the 3rd, 4th or lower and taking that same chance in the first even if your pick is #32. The opportunity cost is just much higher.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Exactly how does being duped by a guy/girl impact, even one iota, your ability to play middle linebacker? Let's go through the sports landscape and see how many superstar atheletes have at some point been duped by a woman. Hell, let's go through the male population and see how many men in general have at some point been duped by a woman. I believe Shaun Rogers (who is supposedly 10 years smarter than Te'o) just got robbed of $440K worth of jewelry. Can we also assume that he can't play football?

This nonsense should be on Maury Povich, not in an NFL draft room.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Jimmy Smith had good game tape AND combine/pro-day measurables seemed to indicate that his game would translate well. To this point Jimmy has kept his nose clean to my knowledge. His injury problems do not seem the Gaither/character type. They seem real and tangible. Still think that if he can put those behind him he has the talent to be a pretty good CB in this league.

T'eo has the tape but the measurables are not there. His lack of speed has to be concerning. Throw in the character issues and I tend to think that he is not the kind of guy Ozzie is going to take a chance on in the 1st. The upside in the 1st is not enough.

Have seen others compare his poor combine/pro-day results and issues to Burfict. There is a huge difference between taking a shot on a guy in the 3rd, 4th or lower and taking that same chance in the first even if your pick is #32. The opportunity cost is just much higher.
    Does not have the measurables is a comical statement. He had better numbers than Ogletree in just about everything but the 40. At their pro days Teo ran a 4.71 and Ogletree ran a 4.64 with the wind and a 4.75 against it. He ran a 4.7 at the combine. Teo's 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone were faster. Teo had same 40 as minter and was also faster than him in 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle.

So what measurables does he not have compared to other ILBs?

I don't think Ravens should take an ILB at 32 but to say Teo should be taken off the board because of measurables is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Exactly how does being duped by a guy/girl impact, even one iota, your ability to play middle linebacker? Let's go through the sports landscape and see how many superstar atheletes have at some point been duped by a woman. Hell, let's go through the male population and see how many men in general have at some point been duped by a woman. I believe Shaun Rogers (who is supposedly 10 years smarter than Te'o) just got robbed of $440K worth of jewelry. Can we also assume that he can't play football?

This nonsense should be on Maury Povich, not in an NFL draft room.
    Your right, its not like the kid was snorting coke, doing B&E's or driving drunk.
    If you believe T'eo did not know he is at best a kind of weird and naive kid and worst an absolute idiot. Neither are exactly endearing qualities for a GM. If he were a 3/4/5th round pick nobody really cares. 1st round picks though carry weight so its reasonable to worry bout things you might not in the lower rounds.

If T'eo killed it at the combine and pro-day he would be a definite top 20 pick and people would forget the weirdness much quicker. Fact is he did not kill it at the combine though did slightly better at the pro-day. It just makes a better story for people to yap about to believe that the main reason T'eo falls out of the 1st is more due to the "scandal" than his measurables.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Te'o got destroyed by Alabama. Who cares about his girlfriend saga, all I needed to see was his performance against Alabama to draw any conclusions. That team is the closest you will get to an NFL team, especially their offensive line.

The thing that concerns me more than the girlfriend he never met was blaming "combine stress" for his less than inspiring workout. From my small snapshot I felt he would have been better off taking the high road instead of making an excuse.

It would seem a lot of baggage comes with this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    The thing that concerns me more than the girlfriend he never met was blaming "combine stress" for his less than inspiring workout. From my small snapshot I felt he would have been better off taking the high road instead of making an excuse.

It would seem a lot of baggage comes with this guy.
    That was what turned me off him as well. Combine stress? STFU, what do you think game stress or playoff stress is gonna be like? I want guys who respond to stress by being BETTER (ala Joe Flacco) not worse (ala Tony Romo).
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    That was what turned me off him as well. Combine stress? STFU, what do you think game stress or playoff stress is gonna be like? I want guys who respond to stress by being BETTER (ala Joe Flacco) not worse (ala Tony Romo).
    Exactly. He doesn't know what "stress" is yet. Everybody is "stressed" at the Combine. It's not like it'll get any better with the media and fans picking apart every move and every play.

And I've said this before but... OK, so let's say he DID actually believe he had a girlfriend he never met (which in the world I grew up in, is totally INSANE.... but apparently much of society, from what I read, is pretty accepting of this like it's an everyday occurrence.... to which I say, ya'll are a bunch of nuts).

But anyway, so OK, let's walk through this. Guy has a girlfriend. Thinks she's real. Got it.

So now she has cancer. Does he visit her in the hospital? NOOOOOOO!

What the hell kind of guy doesn't ONCE go visit his girlfriend in the hospital when she's dying of cancer? WHO? Who doesn't go to her funeral either????? WTF?!?!? :hammer:

So even if you believe him when he says he thought she was real, how does the story make sense? What we have here is a dude who blows off his dying girlfriend in the hospital AND skips her funeral, AND whatever memorial service? That guy would be an asshole.

But of course, I don't think Te'o really believed it. I think it was a hoax and he was in on it. That's the only way to explain why he didn't go visit the girl or attend her funeral.

Either way, I think the guy has a freakin' screw loose.

He's not a felon, he's not an armed robber...I get all that. But if I can't make sense of a guy's senior year in college, I'm not taking him in the first or second round, or anywhere ahead of another guy I think is less of a wild-card. Talent or no talent, he's some kind of head case. A new kind we haven't seen before, and therefore can't get a real handle on. Could turn out fine but.... who knows?? Buyer beware!

Blog Entries

Like I said before, what star college football player needs to go online to find a girl? Very very fishy if you ask me...

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Like I said before, what star college football player needs to go online to find a girl? Very very fishy if you ask me...
    Not defending Te'o, but not every CFB player is your stereotypical jock. I have a friend at WVU and he said Geno Smith rarely goes out on the town and is somewhat introverted.