Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dak Prescott

Re: Dak Prescott

We are not the fanbase to be laughing at a team for potentially overpaying an average QB.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    We are not the fanbase to be laughing at a team for potentially overpaying an average QB.
    Flacco was way better than Dak. Or, I should say, way more valuable than Dak, because he had the talent to take over games.

Dak’s floor is higher, but his ceiling is way lower than Joe’s was. An average, steady game manager who can make things happen with his legs is an incredible asset when you’re paying him less than $1m a year as they have over the course of his rookie contract, and get to effectively use nearly the entire cap to build the rest of the team without worrying about the QB position. They’ve won a lot of games with him because he stays out of the way and they’ve been able to invest in other areas to put a pretty stacked team around him. But that same guy for top dollar puts a serious cap on your ceiling. With Flacco, we at least had upside, even if we rarely saw it after the contract.

What the hell is in the Gatorade down there in Dallas? Dak, Zeke, Cooper, all crazy.

Smart teams let guys walk. We did it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    What the hell is in the Gatorade down there in Dallas? Dak, Zeke, Cooper, all crazy.

Smart teams let guys walk. We did it.

They’ve gone 32-16 in three years since they drafted Dak and Zeke. I’m clearly on record as not thinking he’s worth it but that’s very easy to say from afar.

We’ve let guys walk, but we’ve certainly never let a successful, popular, 26 year old homegrown QB walk, nor a recent top pick who quickly became the most dominant player in the league at his position. This is a very tricky situation to navigate and I do not envy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I laughed out loud when I read he wants 40 million. Aaron Rogers at least WON something as did Russell Wilson. This dude is close to a JAG than an Elite QB. In fact, Flacco haters aside, I’d take Flacco before that chump because at least Flacco is clutch in the playoffs, just as Tom Brady.

Dark would wilt if he had to have faced Luck, Manning, and Brady.

40 million equates to reading your local press clippings. Super JAG at best.
    I won’t get into salary numbers, but...

Devil’s advocate here- Dak’s postseason performance thus far has been a helluva lot better than Flacco’s early postseason performances were. Check out the numbers. The only leg to stand on regarding Joe’s first two postseason trips is that his record was 3-2...but even that is incredibly misleading. Those victories were due almost entirely to the Ravens’ strong running game and elite D. Joe threw just 1 TD in those 5 games, had < 50% completion rate and 6 INTs. You mentioned DAK “wilting” against guys like Manning and Brady, well- take a look at how Joe did the first time he faced Manning and Brady in the playoffs.

Not saying Dak is elite, or even that he deserves elite money but it’s a head-scratcher (to me) to say you’d rather have Joe in there now than Dak. Dude hasn’t played a postseason snap in over 4 years, and he certainly hasn’t gotten better in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    This just begs to be repeated.

32-16 as a starter, never missed a game, won offensive rookie of the year. Really good completion% and TD/Int ratio. Not a TD machine by any means. Plays behind a stellar offensive line.

13-3 as a rookie when Zeke had over 1600 yards and 15 touchdowns.
    9-7 when Zeke played 10 games and was under 1000 yards
    10-6 last year when Zeke had over 1400 yards

There’s definitely a trend there. Prescott’s surface numbers look really good, but he isn’t the engine of that offense. Didn’t dive deep enough to see what kind of fourth quarter QB he really is. Flacco was never about stats he just won, but a back like Zeke just grinds you down in the fourth quarter and Dak just has to play smart and clean and let Zeke and the line do the work.

30 million is fair, 40 million is ludicrous, so the middle is somewhere near 35, the same thing SB champ Russell Wilson got behind a shaky offensive line, and no real big time offensive weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    They’ve gone 32-16 in three years since they drafted Dak and Zeke. I’m clearly on record as not thinking he’s worth it but that’s very easy to say from afar.

We’ve let guys walk, but we’ve certainly never let a successful, popular, 26 year old homegrown QB walk, nor a recent top pick who quickly became the most dominant player in the league at his position. This is a very tricky situation to navigate and I do not envy them.
    Excellent point. I was referring more to the players though. In what world does Dak think he should be the highest paid QB? Zeke has 2 more years on his rookie contract and he's trying to get out of it and get paid big ASAP. What's the point of a rookie contract if guys hold out in year 4 of 5?

I guess my point is, they are pushing the envelope on craziness in contract negotiations, and they're all on the same team.

So he wants 40, Cooper wants 20+ and Elliot wants 16+-20. Make those numbers work. Three guys on offense, all eating up 76-80 million in cap space. No way on earth. Thar leaves less than 2 million per player for the rest of the roster.

I understand you need a qb but Dax is no better than Dalton. Let Dax walk, trade a fourth to Cincinnati for the Red Rifle and you are in decent shape at QB. Who in their right mind is going to offer Dax 40 million? 30 is more than you can justify. It is the running game which has kept Dallas winning, not Dax passing ability. The book is clear. Keep Elliot contained, force Dax to beat you from the pocket, either double the TE or Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    So he wants 40, Cooper wants 20+ and Elliot wants 16+-20. Make those numbers work. Three guys on offense, all eating up 76-80 million in cap space. No way on earth. Thar leaves less than 2 million per player for the rest of the roster.

I understand you need a qb but Dax is no better than Dalton. Let Dax walk, trade a fourth to Cincinnati for the Red Rifle and you are in decent shape at QB. Who in their right mind is going to offer Dax 40 million? 30 is more than you can justify. It is the running game which has kept Dallas winning, not Dax passing ability. The book is clear. Keep Elliot contained, force Dax to beat you from the pocket, either double the TE or Cooper.
    They’re paying Zach Martin 6/84 already. 40 million guaranteed. It’s impossible to pay everyone

Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    Excellent point. I was referring more to the players though. In what world does Dak think he should be the highest paid QB? Zeke has 2 more years on his rookie contract and he's trying to get out of it and get paid big ASAP. What's the point of a rookie contract if guys hold out in year 4 of 5?

I guess my point is, they are pushing the envelope on craziness in contract negotiations, and they're all on the same team.

Again, I don’t think he’s special, but it’s a natural mindset. All these guys believe in themselves. Dak has won his whole life. He took Mississippi State of all schools to a number one ranking nationally, and has, as has been mentioned, quarterbacked a team that went 4-12 the year before he was drafted to 32 wins in three years, starting from day one. A competitor’s not gonna look at all that and say sure my teams keep winning but I’m not actually that good, I should ask for something more modest. It’s a weird situation in that I don’t think he’s close to worth it but I understand both why he would think he is and why they would be willing to give it to him. And I think it’s gonna bite them in the ass.

Football is a business too though, and Cowboys fans are a special brand of delusional/entitled. They would burn shit to the ground if they let him walk and signed a Sam Bradford type to be a bridge while they tried to find their next guy, and Jerry knows that.

Can’t defend Zeke at all though, that dude is on one. If you’re gonna hold out at least wait til the last year of your deal. And unlike Dak who has effectively made the minimum his whole career, Zeke as a top five pick is already making damn good money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YoCo757 View Post
    I won’t get into salary numbers, but...

Devil’s advocate here- Dak’s postseason performance thus far has been a helluva lot better than Flacco’s early postseason performances were. Check out the numbers. The only leg to stand on regarding Joe’s first two postseason trips is that his record was 3-2...but even that is incredibly misleading. Those victories were due almost entirely to the Ravens’ strong running game and elite D. Joe threw just 1 TD in those 5 games, had < 50% completion rate and 6 INTs. You mentioned DAK “wilting” against guys like Manning and Brady, well- take a look at how Joe did the first time he faced Manning and Brady in the playoffs.

Not saying Dak is elite, or even that he deserves elite money but it’s a head-scratcher (to me) to say you’d rather have Joe in there now than Dak. Dude hasn’t played a postseason snap in over 4 years, and he certainly hasn’t gotten better in that time.
    Proven commodity. Hell, roll Romo out of retirement, they did with Witten.

Stats don't translate into titles. All I am saying. A Super JAG wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL. *Queues laughtrack*