Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Gruden

Blog Entries

Re: Jon Gruden

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Funny how this is suddenly all about the media "calling him a racist/homophobe", and not about, you know, WHAT HE HIMSELF actually wrote

Funny how Gruden is now suddenly being portrayed as a "victim" by the same people who claim to ABHOR "victim culture"

Funny how some people find it impossible to ever discuss ANY issue without spouting off nonsensical political ideology.
    It's the same thing we see every time a story like this comes out. There are plenty who come here for the politics board and really don't want to talk much football.

2. Re: Jon Gruden

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    To which I would respond with total disbelief. You say what you say, if you don't mean it, don't say it.
    In fairness, I think Gruden is absolutely genuine with this sentiment. He never meant to hurt anybody because he never meant for the world to discover just how much of a bigot he is. That was supposed to be reserved for "his boys."

The apology is a half-step beyond "I'm sorry you're offended" and is tantamount to admitting "I'm sorry I got caught."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Waywatcher View Post
    In fairness, I think Gruden is absolutely genuine with this sentiment. He never meant to hurt anybody because he never meant for the world to discover just how much of a bigot he is. That was supposed to be reserved for "his boys."

The apology is a half-step beyond "I'm sorry you're offended" and is tantamount to admitting "I'm sorry I got caught."

I wonder if the guys on the other side of those emails also never meant to hurt anyone. Gruden is probably not alone in this.

What's amazing to me is how we've seen plenty of criticism of Goodell and Demaurice Smith for years without restoring to racist talk. Those two are pretty easy to bash just based on their actions over the years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    A. You don't care about football but you suddenly like Gruden because you found out he's a racist?
    Where did I say I like Gruden?

B. If you don't care about football or the Ravens why are you posting here on a Ravens football forum? You seem to only pop up to post on Covid or political topics anyway, which gets threads dragged down to the politics dungeon and makes it impossible for us Ravens fans to discuss certain topics.
    I've been on this board for a long time, and it's probably more habit than anything, but there are a few peoples conversation I do enjoy

C. Seems like you're using "criminals" as a synonym for black people here. Ouch. That's not doing Gruden any favors.
    Seems like that would you're interpretation, which says a lot about you. Ouch

The phoniness is definitely an issue, none of these players want to play for a coach who isn’t real with them and probably talks about them behind their backs for being black or gay or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    The phoniness is definitely an issue, none of these players want to play for a coach who isn’t real with them and probably talks about them behind their backs for being black or gay or whatever.
    And who is against the league's player safety initiatives.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Maybe I haven't seen all the emails, can you show me where Gruden was talking about people "being black"?

Before this gets moved, which should be any second now, I just want to state a few facts.

1. The 51% of NFL players having criminal records is ridiculously false.
    2. This was not a result of the DEA investigation. This is a result of the ongoing investigation into toxic workplace environment/harassment lawsuits against the WFT. If you don't know about that part and the years of abuse of the cheerleaders and other abhorrent behavior in Landover, your opinions on this are probably a bit uninformed.
    3. Work email is not private. Never has been, never will be. Truthfully speaking, neither is personal email. You can rail about that all you want, doesn't change the fact that it's true. The moment law enforcement opens an investigation or a lawsuit gets brought against you, everything is on the table.
    4. This is the result of Bruce Allen's emails being reviewed, not Jon Gruden's. But it's an important lesson nonetheless. In addition to being accountable for what we say and do, yes, we are also responsible for the company we keep. Again, you don't have to like it, but it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Funny how this is suddenly all about the media "calling him a racist/homophobe", and not about, you know, WHAT HE HIMSELF actually wrote

Funny how Gruden is now suddenly being portrayed as a "victim" by the same people who claim to ABHOR "victim culture"

Funny how some people find it impossible to ever discuss ANY issue without spouting off nonsensical political ideology.
    I didn't say Gruden was a victim. I didn't say that anywhere. He deserved what he got. What I'm talking about is our culture of selective outrage. As far as the media is concerned, it's perfectly fine to trash some people depending on who they are while even the mildest criticism of others must be met with personal destruction. I wonder how many people in the NFL have plenty of outrageous things to say about people who are NOT black, gay or female. Are we going to root them out, too? This isn't ideology. It's simple observation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    I didn't say Gruden was a victim. I didn't say that anywhere. He deserved what he got. What I'm talking about is our culture of selective outrage. As far as the media is concerned, it's perfectly fine to trash some people depending on who they are while even the mildest criticism of others must be met with personal destruction. I wonder how many people in the NFL have plenty of outrageous things to say about people who are NOT black, gay or female. Are we going to root them out, too? This isn't ideology. It's simple observation.
    Exactly. I would expect to be fired if emails I said negative shit about my boss or company became public.

What I find hypocritical is he is being fired/resigned for things he said when there are people in the league who have done way worse.

Like I said, I could find people in this thread who wanted Karheem Hunt on the Ravens after he was found to have kicked an punched his pregnant girlfriend, yet he's still playing.

That's what I find to be a bit of a double standard.

You do realize Gruden was coaching the only openly gay player in the NFL right along with a ton of players with different ethnic backgrounds right?

Again, not defending the guy but you portray Gruden to be this Racist Bigot and was just never caught before last week but if he truly felt that way do you not think he would have found a way to cut Carl Nassib? I think someone, ex player, ex coach someone would have went public with information before last week if he was this bad.

Didnt he also bring in Richie Incognito back when no body would sign the guy?

If Gruden was in fact this horrible racist bigot, why would he sign a guy like Cognito, then a gay guy like Carl Nassib when Incognito supposedly got cut by dolphins for his bullying of a possible gay player??

Ive never been gruden fan as a coach, but I enjoyed him calling games more than the train wreck of screws we normally are stuck with.

You also seem to miss the massive point that in this actual Story Gruden is absolutely a victim of circumstance because his privacy was definitely violated.

All of it is wrong, but there are many other parties involved who seem to be getting a pass including the Redskins, their employees, Bruce Allen, The law enforcement officer who leaked the information etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Exactly. I would expect to be fired if emails I said negative shit about my boss or company became public.

What I find hypocritical is he is being fired/resigned for things he said when there are people in the league who have done way worse.

Like I said, I could find people in this thread who wanted Karheem Hunt on the Ravens after he was found to have kicked an punched his pregnant girlfriend, yet he's still playing.

That's what I find to be a bit of a double standard.
    I agree about there are far worse players and possibly coaches who no one wants to mention.

Karheem Hunt and Antonio Brown are terrible human beings. Look at the video evidence but people can forgo that but an email sets you off??? lol