Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

What do we have in Matt Skura?

One guy that continues to impress me each week is Matt Skura. He's had one rough outing and that was the first Pitt game, but other than that he's been damn solid.

What exactly do you guys think he can be moving forward? Is he a starter and can battle with Lewis? Or is he just a depth guy that can provide strong play if a starter goes down at G or C?

I'm definitely a little worried that with his strong play they let Jensen walk and plug Skura in to the starting C spot.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Re: What do we have in Matt Skura?

Have you noticed, since Yanda went down, that any game without Skura, the OL has sucked? He's made that much difference. I'm not saying he's All Pro, but he's got some talent. With Lewis and Yanda coming back, Skura and hopefully Siragusa making a full recovery, I like our depth at G next season.

That being said, I still think they pay Jensen.

Blog Entries

All things considered, Skura has played extremely well...like well enough that Jermain Eluemunor, Nico Siragusa, and Alex Lewis may have some serious competition next year - not just for starting roles, but also for roster spots.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

We're in really good shape for our OL next year. Since Skura is doing well at RG I'd keep him there.

Stanley - Yanda - Jensen (FA) - Skura - Howard

Have Siragusa backup both the guard spots. Lewis can be backup the guard spots and RT.

The offensive line is set. We might have to have a conversation about Yanda taking a paycut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    We're in really good shape for our OL next year. Since Skura is doing well at RG I'd keep him there.

Stanley - Yanda - Jensen (FA) - Skura - Howard

Have Siragusa backup both the guard spots. Lewis can be backup the guard spots and RT.
    I'd like for them to add another OT, but Lewis can play LT or RT, so that's not too bad.

I also think they'll make an effort to keep Hurst. He's been a good OG.

Blog Entries

I think coaching has helped this line over achieve somewhat but Skura can be a good guard. The board couldnt have been more down on a guy than Hurst, and he's turned out to be more than serviceable.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Based on what Jensen commands on the open market, I think they need to look at Skura as a potential replacement at C. I do think Jensen's play has tailed off quite a bit since he was a hot name early in the season. He may not command as much on the open market and should be signed. If they sign Jensen the question becomes do you bring back Howard or do you move Lewis there?

Hurst should only be signed for reasonable back up contract. He has done well filling in at G but is the weakest link on the line. He is pretty bad in space. If he gets starter opportunity somewhere else, they should let him walk. Also if the Ravens sign Jensen I think they need to let Hurst walk. They would have 8 OL - Stanley, Lewis, Jensen, Yanda, Howard, Skura, Elumenor, Siragusa. I think the team only carries 8.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Based on what Jensen commands on the open market, I think they need to look at Skura as a potential replacement at C. I do think Jensen's play has tailed off quite a bit since he was a hot name early in the season. He may not command as much on the open market and should be signed. If they sign Jensen the question becomes do you bring back Howard or do you move Lewis there?

Hurst should only be signed for reasonable back up contract. He has done well filling in at G but is the weakest link on the line. He is pretty bad in space. If he gets starter opportunity somewhere else, they should let him walk. Also if the Ravens sign Jensen I think they need to let Hurst walk. They would have 8 OL - Stanley, Lewis, Jensen, Yanda, Howard, Skura, Elumenor, Siragusa. I think the team only carries 8.
    They do usually carry 8. I think at one point this year we had 9, but 8-9 is pretty standard.

Typically for he backups you'd wanna have a backup C/G (or just C), swing tackle (kind of like Jah Reid who could play G and T) and then a true T who can play the left side (kind of like Hurst prior to this season).

TBH I'd still like ot invest in RT early in this draft. I think the approach should be to get the guys in camp and just play the best 5.

Lewis looked promising, but can't stay healthy so I don't want to rely on him as being a starter. I woudl like to see him battle with Howard if we don't draft a capable RT this year.

Also, with the amount of needs (WR, TE, ILB, FS) it's hard to justify a RT early when Howard has been pretty solid this year.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    One guy that continues to impress me each week is Matt Skura. He's had one rough outing and that was the first Pitt game, but other than that he's been damn solid.

What exactly do you guys think he can be moving forward? Is he a starter and can battle with Lewis? Or is he just a depth guy that can provide strong play if a starter goes down at G or C?

I'm definitely a little worried that with his strong play they let Jensen walk and plug Skura in to the starting C spot.
    Skura is the future with Yandas health and age in question.

If this front office lets Jensen walk in free agency and don't atleast franchise tag him until we sign, or draft a replacement every Ravens fan should be calling for OZZIES head. Ill start the picket line

The play of our OLINE has been the single biggest reason the offense has improved past few weeks.

One other factor too and i haven't heard it mentioned. (Anyone find it Ironic that since Pitta went public) We have seen completely different play calling????

Skura is cheap great labor for next few years, we should draft another OT, G early this year to continue building this line

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    Skura is the future with Yandas health and age in question.

If this front office lets Jensen walk in free agency and don't atleast franchise tag him until we sign, or draft a replacement every Ravens fan should be calling for OZZIES head. Ill start the picket line

The play of our OLINE has been the single biggest reason the offense has improved past few weeks.

One other factor too and i haven't heard it mentioned. (Anyone find it Ironic that since Pitta went public) We have seen completely different play calling????

Skura is cheap great labor for next few years, we should draft another OT, G early this year to continue building this line
    I said in the game thread this week that Flacco looks better because of two primary reasons:
    1) The play calling is back to his strength. I want to do a film watch of the last two weeks and post Flacco's stats on play action. We've used it a lot more becuase our run game is better and he has looked so much better. And, of course, we're throwing down field more and it's working.

2) The OL in pass pro has been flawless. Flacco has only been sacked twice in the past two weeks and the sack yesterday should have been thrown away. He's not runnign for his life every play.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think coaching has helped this line over achieve somewhat but Skura can be a good guard. The board couldnt have been more down on a guy than Hurst, and he's turned out to be more than serviceable.
    Then kudos to D'Alessandris and Roman.