Page 61 of 94 FirstFirst ... 5960616263 ... LastLast

Re: Is Lamar the answer, article from Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Ah message boards. Thank you for documenting takes like this one.
    It's funny because Cleo & Dilly is trying to get on the bandwagon after they realized Flacco is the same in Denver as he was in Baltimore. I love these old takes on Lamar its entertaining. I need to see more lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle18 View Post
    It's funny because Cleo & Dilly is trying to get on the bandwagon after they realized Flacco is the same in Denver as he was in Baltimore. I love these old takes on Lamar its entertaining. I need to see more lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Lol exactly. Some of these posters are flip flopping like a mf.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Exactly. Tony is a good guy, but he's not perfect and this assessment is off the mark. His runs in Louisville were largely designed. His runs here were largely designed. He is far more comfortable throwing from the pocket than on the run. I think that a generalization has been made, because he's athletic. I think that generalization is flawed and lazy quite frankly.
    Looks like Ex had it right, right from the beginning.

It appears that some posts on this thread, have taken a bit out of context, some of the things I wrote in a Q&A piece back in January, 2019. Here's what was asked and my replies:

QUESTION: Tony, I am thoroughly convinced that LJ is not the long-term answer at QB. Would you be surprised to see the Ravens select a QB early (first or third round) in this year’s draft? Thanks! Joe of Bel Air

Joe, I hear you and I do feel like Lamar’s limitations will prevent him from being a long-term answer as the team’s starting QB. Perhaps if he fails as a QB, there’s a way to integrate him into the offense throughout his rookie deal that doesn’t require him to be behind center.

Lamar will never be a pocket passer but he can be a threatening signal caller provided he develops in the passing game. There’s a ton of work to be done but when you listen to the players, he’s doing some eye-opening things in practice in the passing game. The challenge will be to move such accomplishments from The Castle on weekdays to The Bank on Sundays.

That said, I don’t see them drafting a QB as early as you suggest this season. I see them bringing back Robert Griffin III for at least another campaign and then prioritize the position in the 2020 NFL Draft based upon Lamar’s progress in 2019. I am a fan of QB’s on rookie contracts. It frees up the cap to surround them with accomplished talent. We’ll see how Eric DeCosta does that this offseason.

QUESTION: How do you teach a QB, i.e. Lamar, to throw accurately? Although there were glimpses of throwing ability, they were few and far between. AND, if accuracy is teachable, wouldn’t virtually every QB who has played the game be in the HOF? Richard from Texas

Players’ mechanics and techniques can be refined to improve accuracy and consistency somewhat, but in the case of Lamar, he has 22 years of muscle memory to refine and that’s unlikely to happen. He was never an accurate passer at Louisville in a relatively soft ACC so there’s no reason to expect that to improve measurably in a rugged AFC North.

I spoke to a quarterback coach about Lamar and he referenced that muscle memory. Sometimes coaches just have to work with the skill set and glean the most they can from it. You have to understand the limitations and then game plan around them.

The same QB coach used Philip Rivers as an example. When you watch his throwing style, a coach would immediately want to break it down and change it. But when the results are considered, you leave it alone. Rivers’ accuracy appears innate. Unfortunately, Lamar’s inaccuracy may be innate as well.

Since January Lamar has made progress, obviously. I saw it in OTA's. Saw it at camp. You all caught a glimpse of it in preseason. Things can change and fortunately for Lamar, they are changing in a positive way. I documented my observations and opinions in the video below on July 16 and then later on August 3rd HERE.

I'm happy to say that Lamar has surpassed my expectations so far in 2019, despite their optimism. And I can tell you that he's surpassed the expectations of others inside The Castle.

Just shows what hard work and the right mix of personnel and scheming can do.

Here's to the future.
    Last edited by TL24x7; 09-19-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Lol exactly. Some of these posters are flip flopping like a mf.
    I don't know why they are. Lamar was back to his normal self against the Cardinals. Sure, he had a huge amount of yardage passing and running the ball, but the team was only able to get 23 points. I'll take the win, sure, but I haven't seen anything that can convince me that Lamar has really taken this next step. And before people say the Dolphins, c'mon. That team is a Division III team.

Quote Originally Posted by TheThinkingRaven View Post
    I don't know why they are. Lamar was back to his normal self against the Cardinals. Sure, he had a huge amount of yardage passing and running the ball, but the team was only able to get 23 points. I'll take the win, sure, but I haven't seen anything that can convince me that Lamar has really taken this next step. And before people say the Dolphins, c'mon. That team is a Division III team.
    Good God, your screen name is definitely misleading

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

"We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle18 View Post
    It's funny because Cleo & Dilly is trying to get on the bandwagon
    I'm as eager to rag on C&D as anyone else is; however it must be acknowledged that in the game thread, he (they?) made an "I have to admit, looks like I was wrong" post. I think it was the thread for the Cards game.

The more that jump on the Lamar bandwagon the merrier I say the kid deserves it he has put the work in and it's showing on the field.

For most of us so called Lamar supporters that is all we wanted him to have which was a chance. Not to play three years behind some old broken down shell of a qb just because some refused to move on. Glad to see him making the most of his opportunity football is finally exciting to watch again. The last three years before lamar the offense was starting to suck the fun out of watching football.

10. Re: Is Lamar the answer, article from Tony?

8-1 as a starter in the regular season. I personally don't care all that much how good, exactly Lamar Jackson is as a passer as long as the wins are there, and what we saw last year is that, with Lamar passing at the level that he did, the Ravens went 6-1 and went to the playoffs. And the reason the Ravens won all those games was Lamar Jackson running often and running well.

If a QB can run a lot, and run well, he really doesn't have to be more than an average passer in order to win. I'd agree that if a QB who runs often and well could be an even better QB if he passed well, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

We all know this right, the Ravens had their great running QB run more than any of the other great running QBs ever ran before, and the Ravens won 6 in the regular season and lost only one, to a top team. Just that is clearly good enough to win. However good Lamar was last year at passing was good enough. It seems that his passing is better this year, but it was good enough last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Looks like Ex had it right, right from the beginning.
    Lamar has taken particular notice of the cracks on him about being a RB. Nothing over the top, just little jabs here and there. For example, "Not bad for a RB". And the RB motion after he was given the game ball against Miami. I argued the entire off-season that the kid doesn't want to be ran like that. He'll do it if asked to, but he really wants to stay in the pocket and throw. His runs at Louisville were designed for him. As were the vast majority of his runs last year. He wouldn't be making the comments and gestures he has if he didn't have an issue with running so much.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Lamar has taken particular notice of the cracks on him about being a RB. Nothing over the top, just little jabs here and there. For example, "Not bad for a RB". And the RB motion after he was given the game ball against Miami. I argued the entire off-season that the kid doesn't want to be ran like that. He'll do it if asked to, but he really wants to stay in the pocket and throw. His runs at Louisville were designed for him. As were the vast majority of his runs last year. He wouldn't be making the comments and gestures he has if he didn't have an issue with running so much.
    Definitely. Cardinals game felt like a lot of carries but it also fit the “take what they give us” mentality that has been preached, so im cool. He seemed so as well.