Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

It's easy to see why Cleveland hates us.

"Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: It's easy to see why Cleveland hates us.

The orange blocking dummies would go on to beat the Browns 21-10 in the team’s first scrimmage.
    The blocking dummies must have taken it easy on them.

Any truth to the story the Clowns were flagged for unnecessary meekness?

Blog Entries

I checked out a Browns board and they have threads about making the playoffs and predictions where most have them at 9 or 10 wins. I can't remember a year when the Browns fans have been this optimistic. 3 games in and they'll all be back to their hopeless normal selves.

Blog Entries

If this coach works put for them I will be shocked. Shocked. No idea what their criteria was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The Browns are always ripe for some hilarious chiding, but that article's attempts at humor were pretty weak.

Blog Entries

IMHO what really pisses that fanbase off is that they thought what was standing between them & a Super Bowl victory was Art Modell. They thought he was too incompetent an owner ever to win the big one, so they took advantage of the fact that he wasn't independently wealthy by squeezing him financially to where he couldn't afford to keep the team. He'd be forced to sell the Browns to someone who knew what he was doing (& had the deep pockets to do it right).

Score another one for the Law of Unintended Consequences: What they in fact did was squeeze Art to where he couldn't afford to keep the team in Cleveland. It never occurred to them that he would move--i.e., that the NFL would let him move--the franchise.

But once he did, it turned out the problem with the Browns wasn't the owner's competence but his cash reserves--& once Art got the resources he plowed them back into the team, retained or hired excellent staff & let them do their thing, & the rest is history.

If the Cleveland pols hadn't been so intent on screwing the Modells & instead had (to paraphrase Churchill) "given him the tools to finish the job", they might very well have had the same successes we've enjoyed here in Crabtown. Instead they got exactly what they were trying to be rid of: Incompetent ownership hiring incompetent staff fumbling around in the dark trying to find the stairs up from the staph-ridden basement of the AFC North.

Now, wouldn't that piss you off royally if you were a Browns fan?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    IMHO what really pisses that fanbase off is that they thought what was standing between them & a Super Bowl victory was Art Modell. They thought he was too incompetent an owner ever to win the big one, so they took advantage of the fact that he wasn't independently wealthy by squeezing him financially to where he couldn't afford to keep the team. He'd be forced to sell the Browns to someone who knew what he was doing (& had the deep pockets to do it right).

Score another one for the Law of Unintended Consequences: What they in fact did was squeeze Art to where he couldn't afford to keep the team in Cleveland. It never occurred to them that he would move--i.e., that the NFL would let him move--the franchise.

But once he did, it turned out the problem with the Browns wasn't the owner's competence but his cash reserves--& once Art got the resources he plowed them back into the team, retained or hired excellent staff & let them do their thing, & the rest is history.

If the Cleveland pols hadn't been so intent on screwing the Modells & instead had (to paraphrase Churchill) "given him the tools to finish the job", they might very well have had the same successes we've enjoyed here in Crabtown. Instead they got exactly what they were trying to be rid of: Incompetent ownership hiring incompetent staff fumbling around in the dark trying to find the stairs up from the staph-ridden basement of the AFC North.

I'm about to jump off a bridge just thinking about it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

People in Ohio like football a lot. There are a lot of people who know the game really well and enjoy watching it played at the highest level. I think what pisses them off is that if they want to actually see the game played at the highest level, they have to watch the Ravens and Steelers play. I think nothing would be more frustrating as a football fan than to have the team you root for serve up a shit sandwich of irrellavancy year after year while the rivals in your division dance with the Lombardi.

As a football fan, I hope they win a Superbowl some time. They are a long sufferring but dedicated fan base. I have said to many people that my hatred of the Colts got a lot less once we won a Super Bowl, and I think/hope that their fan base will also heal a bit with some taste of victory.

However, as a Ravens Fan, Screw'em! I hope they rot in the basement of the AFC North for the next hundred years as the sad carcass of a football team that we all know they are.
    Last edited by somedumbguy; 07-26-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    As a football fan, I hope they win a Superbowl some time. They are a long sufferring but dedicated fan base. I have said to many people that my hatred of the Colts got a lot less once we won a Super Bowl, and I think/hope that their fan base will also heal a bit with some taste of victory.

However, as a Ravens Fan, Screw'em! I hope they rot in the basement of the AFC North for the next hundred years as the sad carcass of a football team that we all know they are.
    Myself, I'm kinda torn. I feel for those folks...but I'd feel a lot more for them if they hadn't pissed & moaned that nobody had ever suffered like them--even though they got their colors & history back along with a brand-new franchise to wear them in 3 years. Baltimore--whose team & fans practically invented the modern NFL--got stiffed by the league for 13 years (while Tags & Jack Kent Crook tried to sell the fanbase into burgundy&gold-slavery), but we're the bad guys. And the media--which is peppered with refugees from the Mistake By The Lake--gleefully bought in & piled on.

But I do think the thing that keeps Browns fans bitter is the Ravens' success. The league handed them (in record time) exactly what they said they wanted--a Browns franchise without Art Modell--& they discovered that it wasn't what they wanted at all, because Modell wasn't the problem.

To put it in an utterly sexist way, it's like the dowdy girlfriend you've been treating like dirt because you know she'll never leave you finally does--& takes up with a new guy who treats her like a princess & suddenly she blossoms into one. Your fury at being jilted is compounded not only by the inadmissible evidence that you drove her off, but also by the sick certainty way down deep that if you'd only done right by her you could've been that guy.

So yeah, I hope they get their Lombardi one of these years when the Ravens are in a down cycle (hopefully not anytime soon!)--but I have a funny feeling that the bitterness won't go away until the cohorts of pre-1996 Browns fans go ungently into that good night...

Blog Entries

I don't much care for the above. Your average Cleveland fan wasn't thinking that much about it, and it wasn't the considerations of those fans which put Modell into a squeeze. That was mostly Modell.

There isn't a single thing you said there which couldn't be (and largely has been) applied to Baltimore fans in the '90s. The politicians crapped on the Colts well before Irsay came along. They were second-fiddle in Memorial Stadium to the Orioles. They couldn't get a stadium deal worked out for a new stadium. Heck, they couldn't even get an equal distribution of Memorial Stadium concession revenues at Colts games.

Irsay did have legitimate grievances. That doesn't excuse him being a drunken bastard who lied his ass off throughout the moving process or for taking the name, colours, and history with him, but he did have legitimate gripes with the state and city governments. The fans weren't the cause of the gripes. They were just the victims.

Blog Entries

So yeah, I hope they get their Lombardi one of these years when the Ravens are in a down cycle (hopefully not anytime soon!)--but I have a funny feeling that the bitterness won't go away until the cohorts of pre-1996 Browns fans go ungently into that good night...
    That's probably true. I still hate the Indianapolis Irsays with a passion and root for injury every time they play. Hell, I hope they get seriously injured in practice and can't field a team on gameday.