Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Semi bright spots

McNair's arm is a liability, seemingly in the rain and also against the elite teams. Of course, yesterdays game is preseason, but the throw to D Will was bad throw and decision, and all his other balls also hang up in the air. Like they are moving in slow mo.

It noticeable when you compare his throws to Smith or Boller.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    McNair's arm is a liability, seemingly in the rain and also against the elite teams. Of course, yesterdays game is preseason, but the throw to D Will was bad throw and decision, and all his other balls also hang up in the air. Like they are moving in slow mo.

It noticeable when you compare his throws to Smith or Boller.
    You would'nt call Philly's Defense elite?

He pretty much torched them on a long TD drive.

I don't think McNair alone has problems with the rain, this team has been snake bitten by bad weather for years.

McNair is old, and has lost some zip in his deep passes, but he is the best QB on this roster.

There are several players we should hang on to. I am hoping for a rash of ir players due to late preseason injuries, Lloyd being one of those.
    I am not sure what his visa status is. Would he be allowed here to work for anyone, or was it tied to a specific employer??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? just for you art
    Last edited by Mista T; 08-20-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: string of ?'s elongated the box

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I don't know who was trying to claim McNair overthrew the pick, but not even close. If he throws it 5 yards further and further outside MAYBE DW gets to it. If not, it is an incompletion.

He had beaten the CB who picked the pass off. The only reason he picked it off is because it was underthrown. When DW turned from his inside to outside he slowed down, he then slowed down more waiting for the ball. And during all this the CB closed and made the pick. The S had inside coverage so the ball couldn't be thrown to lead DW, which when he saw that McNair should have checked down or tossed it away. Instead he tried to lead DW outside and underthrew the pass.

It was a stupid decision, but the pass was thrown pretty deep.

When I talk of arm strength, i'm talking velocity and zip, not distance.

McNair can throw the ball 60 yards still. But they are always rainbows. If they aren't perfect strikes, they hand up there for DBs to get. The giants DBs don't have good hands, but madison made that pick because it fell into his hands like a gentle flower or some shit.

With Boller, he had 1 bad throw that game, but its thrown SO hard that its not easy for the DB to corall.

McNair's intermediate to long throws that are off are a liability, they will get picked easily if the DB has even marginally good hands.

We'll see how the season goes, but elite teams and bad weather will beat this offense with McNair at the helm.

Boller didn't look amazing last game, but he was more effective and more explosive.

McNair throws short of the 1st down consistently. its sick.

McNair can throw the ball 60 yards still. But they are always rainbows. If they aren't perfect strikes, they hand up there for DBs to get. The giants DBs don't have good hands, but madison made that pick because it fell into his hands like a gentle flower or some shit.

I will say it once again.

McNair's deep passes looked the same in 2003 and he was the Co-MVP, did you miss the Playoff game? The Lame Duck to McCariens for the TD.

The zip on his deep passes have been gone for several years. Contrary to what most think, McNair hasn't had a cannon since 2002, Ask any Titan fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Heap86 View Post

I will say it once again.

McNair's deep passes looked the same in 2003 and he was the Co-MVP, did you miss the Playoff game? The Lame Duck to McCariens for the TD.

The zip on his deep passes have been gone for several years. Contrary to what most think, McNair hasn't had a cannon since 2002, Ask any Titan fan.

I agree with most of what you said. However, his arm has even gotten a little worse, dare i say it, on the short passes. They take forever to get there, so he really only throws the slants and crossing routes when the WR had a decent step and there is no defender and a lower level who can break on the pass.

On the Dwill throw last night, the issue isn't that it was over thrown or underthrown IMHO.

The problem is zip. The ball hung up in the air for like 8-9 seconds. Even if it had been acurate to dwill, the DBs were going to be all over him. To fit in balls like that, i.e. a ball to a WR running a post corner or flag type route in double coverage, the ball needs to get there quick. it can NOT hang up there like that, or it give the DBs, already in good coverage, time to adjust to that ball.

McNair's zip is gone. Distance isn't the problem.

On the intermediate throws, when Boller throws it, it gets where its going quick, and I'm more confident his miscues won't be picks than McNair's, which are just too soft for a DB or S or LB not to make a play on.

The problem is zip. The ball hung up in the air for like 8-9 seconds.
    Considering the fact that good hang time for a punt is 5 seconds, do you want to reconsider this ridiculous assertion?

I mean, it's obvious that you bash McNair every chance you get, but this takes the cake.

Boller isn't playing unless McNair gets hurt.

You're starting to beat a dead horse here.

And Boller threw a ball last night that was a sure pick. The hilarious part is that your excuse was the he throws it harder so that makes it better.

McNair is a better QB. The FO sees it, the coach sees it, and the players see it.

PP

Dave is about to join Tex on the ignore list.

First McNair can't throw the ball 10 yards.

Now even though he threw the ball 40 yards down the field, the fact that it wasn't a rifle was the reason the DB picked it off. Double coverage be damned.

I remember 2 of the best deep ball throwers I've seen in the past 15 years or so were Jeff Blake and Chris Chandler...and thier deep balls were floaters...and I remember then that it was considered a plus that they put a lot of loft on the ball because it gave WR's a chance to run under the ball...as opposed to Jeff George who pretty much threw lasers on every throw.

I can't defend the fact that it was a poor decision, but while watching the pass again on tape, it wasn't a matter so much of underthrowing it or too much loft...it was thrown too far to the outside shoulder when DWill had started to run to the inside as if he was running a deep post.

RIW, feel free to put me on your block list. I dont mind. Same goes for you purple poe.

I'm still going to note that McNair's arm dead because, well, it is. National writers are starting to notice. They might disagree with me that Boller could be a better option, but no-one is thinking McNair's arm is what it was.

Is it enough to get the job done? Maybe against your mediocre teams.

Against teams that can't tackle you can get lucky throwing passes without zip short of the sticks.

When that works, and you control the clock, its a beautiful thing. Like against the Eagirls last week. When it doesn't work, and you're 3 and out, its ugly. And makes me think, why did he pass for 4 yards on 3rd and 7?

RIW, feel free to put me on your block list. I dont mind. Same goes for you purple poe.

I'm still going to note that McNair's arm dead because, well, it is. National writers are starting to notice. They might disagree with me that Boller could be a better option, but no-one is thinking McNair's arm is what it was.

Is it enough to get the job done? Maybe against your mediocre teams.

Against teams that can't tackle you can get lucky throwing passes without zip short of the sticks.

When that works, and you control the clock, its a beautiful thing. Like against the Eagirls last week. When it doesn't work, and you're 3 and out, its ugly. And makes me think, why did he pass for 4 yards on 3rd and 7?

I notice you didn't respond to me when I asked you about your stupid 8-9 second crap. Typical though. Spewing BS against our starting QB because you're favorite player on the Ravens got benched. Funny how you and a few others get your feathers ruffled when people say stuff about Boller yet you will type something that's so ridiculous and flat out wrong.

National writers? Who the hell cares about national writers? Those guys know less about the Ravens than many posters on this board. And pretty much everyone on the face of the earth sans a few people on this board think Boller isn't a better option.

No vocal minority Dave. It's reality.

And you are correct Dave. Boller has a better arm than McNair. He's got NOTHING else. So while Boller can throw the ball farther and with more zip than McNair, that is the ONLY thing he has over McNair. There have been MANY QBs that have come through this league with rifle arms and not much else. Boller is just another in a long list.

And Im not gonna ignore you Dave.

You amuse me with your ridiculous love for Boller.

I don't pretend that McNair is a top flight QB. He's average. But on this team, average at QB means you're a lock to start without even a sniff of competition from the backup. Now THAT says something.

PP

Did you not watch the game against Philly?

McNair was throwing lasers, the pass to Mason and Quinn's TD both had zip.

I think you exaggerating McNair's problems, I have seen alot of his passes thrown with zip.

You make it sound like McNair just throws nothing but Knuckleballs.