Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Does Joe Flacco, a/k/a Joe Statue, have a Low Football IQ?

I need help here, friends.
    Will Joe Statue ever be able to move around in a pocket or is this a football trait that he is simply unable to master? It's no secret that he has a terrific arm, although inconsistency constantly plagues him. But why can he not ever seem to buy himself more time in the pocket like all other QBs? Obviously, he's a good athlete and smart in other respects. What prevents him from moving around back there and, god forbid, maybe even run the ball once in a while when the pocket breaks down?
    It's getting very hard to watch this act repeat itself week in and week out.

Re: Does Joe Flacco, a/k/a Joe Statue, have a Low Football IQ?

He is just not a great QB. Above-average at best. He doesn't improvise well and really isn't a dynamic playmaker. He is like a game-manager enhanced.

I dont think Joe will ever have great pocket awareness. Sure it'll get better with experience, but I think that's something that will always plague at times. I just wish that the OC would understand that given Joe isnt great at stepping up the pocket on deep drops and you have a LT who is poor at blocking speed rushers, maybe calling a few quick hitting short combo routes would speed things up. Also called roll outs are allowed.

He did run the ball yesterday, on 3rd and 6 in OT, right before we punted the game away. He got 3 yards after scrambling for several seconds to find an open receiver--which there wasn't. Go and check the game thread for how people felt about that. Here's a hint: they didn't like it, even though they asked for it (as you're asking for it) last week. Can't please some people.

Then go back and watch the 2nd TD to Boldin, or the TD to Pitta. Watch Joe slide around in the pocket and buy time, then tell me he can't do those things. It's getting very hard to listen to people bitch about the same things week after week.

I don't have the "true" answer for why Joe can do these things sometimes but not others, but I have a theory supported by evidence: when Joe is comfortable in the offense, his pocket presence, awareness, and mechanics (really his overall QB play) are substantially better than when he is NOT comfortable. Just an FYI, that's true for EVERY QB in the league.

The question then becomes, when is Joe comfortable? When he's running the no huddle, throwing quick patterns over the middle, and generally operating a modern offense. We don't do that all that much under Cam.

The Ravens offense is not a QB driven offense. The play calls are not set up to make a QB look good. The Ravens offense excels in no huddle when Joe is controlling the calls. If it was QB issues the offense would not excel in those situations. The Ravens have an offensive philosophy and play calling issue.

This thread should be fun to read now that the cut the anchor loose.

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    This thread should be fun to read now that the cut the anchor loose.
    Yup because now there is no excuse when Flacco get's strip sacked holding onto the ball too long. Wonder if we'll see him scramble more like he did as a rookie?

Joe, imho, does NOT have good pocket awareness, and the ablity to think fast on his feet. He does, however, possess great physical tools.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

We should get a little better idea in the coming weeks. Joe clearly doesn't hear the footsteps that other QBs do. That doesn't mean he can't compensate by getting the ball out sooner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Then go back and watch the 2nd TD to Boldin, or the TD to Pitta. Watch Joe slide around in the pocket and buy time, then tell me he can't do those things. It's getting very hard to listen to people bitch about the same things week after week.

I've long since realized that the low football IQ isn't Flacco's, but many of his critics'. For a long time, I couldn't figure out what games they were watching. Then I realized they just didn't understand what they were seeing on the field.

"Does Joe Flacco, a/k/a Joe Statue, have a Low Football IQ?" Yep, no doubt about it. Blitz coming from his left. He sees the blitz formation and never seems to adjust the offense to compensate. He invariably takes the sack, and more than likely will fumble the ball when hit in the 4th Qtr. Pittsburgh knows the drill well. For years everyone wondered if he could read defenses. Some are still asking that same question in his 5th year. Plus, some of his press conferences are mundane and high-school like in information transfer.
    “Not bad for a running back.”

Blog Entries

His numbers through the first 5 seasons compare very favorably with Brady's. They also compare favorably with Peyton Manning, particularly when you consider Manning threw a collossal 100 Ints in those first 5 years, where Joe has thrown half that many (even factoring in 100 fewer Att's per year, the Int % is still very much in Joe's favor).

Basically, the "elite" QB's didn't start being "elite" until after their 5th years.

Yes he has drawbacks, and I agree pocket presence is not that good as far as sensing the rush, etc. But when I look at his first 5 years, I don't see where he lacks the ceiling those guys have. It's going to be his offense now, and nothing in his history says he can't reach their levels.

You might notice too that neither Manning nor Brady is particularly good when facing heavy pressure. Whereas Big Ben and a few other guys have that knack, maybe Rodgers too. But watch the NE game earlier this year -- Brady's mechanics start breaking down even when he's not under pressure, as long as he's experienced recent pressure. You will clearly see him flinching in the face of a ghost rush that isn't there, after he got popped a couple times. He short arms the ball, gets jumpy, and makes bad throws. Just gotta hit him.

Watch most any game with Eli Manning. Once or twice a game he will just throw the ball anywhere to avoid a hit. Often punt-like, high in the air, late, over the middle, resulting in crazy jousts involving 4-5 players. Go back and see what Peyton Manning looked like against the heavy blitzes of teams like the Ravens of 3-4 years ago, or Pittsburgh. Totally different guy.

Point being, if you actually watch these other guys on a regular basis, you see their flaws too. Difference is their teams have done better jobs with (a) O lines, and (b) tailoring their offenses to highlight their QB's strengths and mitigating their weaknesses.

With Cam gone, I'd expect fewer slow-developing pass plays, more slants, misdirection, draws, and play action.

At least I pray that's what we see.