Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: A Closer Look At Injuries...

The challenge you have in the NFL is that the team does not control what the players do for off season workouts. The players all do their own thing. In college it is totally different because they literally have supervision 48 weeks of the year.
    NWE has lost 5 guys to Knee Injuries. The Ravens have lost 6. The rest of the injuries are not all that preventable. Tim White a hand. Yanda had his leg broken during a game. Price had a concussion. Gilmore, Woodhead and Urban are always hurt.

I think to a certain extent it is bad luck this year. A good portion of the injuries were during contact. The non contact early in TC injuries probably point to more of an issue of the players off season program. The Ravens probably need to make sure the players emphasis training in the off season that will help prevent injuries. Also probably need to look at early in training camp approach.

Thanks for the great responses guys, I love this board. I don't have time to look at this now (will check later), but is there no way to prevent knee injuries, are you just at the mercy of luck and fluky things? Knee braces, or technique, or muscle strengthening to protect ligament groups, or cleat design to allow the spikes to detach at a certain stress level to prevent a planted foot "catching" in the turf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

good thread Qouth, not sure what is going on but knee injuries are something that I don't know if you can fully prevent. You have guys that 200 plus pounds moving faster than what we think is humanly capable things are going to snap and pop. With that said there is too much money and science not try and do things different with this organization, I mean 7 knee injuries may be just bad luck but they need to take a closer look at trying something different.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    Thanks for the great responses guys, I love this board. I don't have time to look at this now (will check later), but is there no way to prevent knee injuries, are you just at the mercy of luck and fluky things? Knee braces, or technique, or muscle strengthening to protect ligament groups, or cleat design to allow the spikes to detach at a certain stress level to prevent a planted foot "catching" in the turf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I tore my ACL I asked about a brace and my Dr said I could get the fancy $1000 ones and it would still tear again under the same circumstances. dexterity helps, strengthening muscles around the knee helps, but when those parameters are met, too much force in one direction than the ligament can handle, its going to tear. He said at the time that hes replaces dozens of knee ligaments in every kind of brace. He also told me i could have done that same basic move 100 times and it not tear because it wasnt quite the same force or bend or whatever. makes sense because these guys are doing some of the same cuts and moves 1000s of times over their careers and it only takes that one time with no contact, or somebody falling on it awkwardly for it to happen. FWIW.

cleat design is interesting. not sure it would be feasible with the torque these guys put on those same cleats every play to also have them snap off at certain pressures. Sometimes is not even an exuberant amount of force, its just that right angle where its weakest and POP. thats why i consider them fluky injuries.
    -JAB

5. Re: A Closer Look At Injuries...

I've had this thought for awhile. Hire an investigative team, dig through any and everything gun they can. What would the cost be for Steve? 100,000-300,000 to get the best minds possible. Do anything you can to help.

6. Re: A Closer Look At Injuries...

Stop drafting injury prone players.
    Stop signing players on the wrong side of 30.
    Stop re-signing injury prone players to contracts with huge cap penalties, forcing you to sign players on the wrong side of 30 to cheap contracts to compensate.
    Stop loading up on defense, which is wasted with Pees, gambling that your paper thin offense will somehow play through the entire OTA/training camp/preseason/reg season and emerge unscathed.