Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: How Anti Racism Hurts Black People - John McWhorter

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Tell me how “he’s right,” I’m all ears...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Didn't you say so yourself?

"these guys can academically tell you everthing that is wrong but I never see them actually proposing any solutions, just repeating old arguments, telling us things we already know"

Blog Entries

Tell me how “he’s right,” I’m all ears...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why don’t you tell us how he’s wrong.

For shits and giggles, I watch his show on YouTube with Glenn Loury from time to time. He's very articulate, well-read, well-spoken, and and he makes some interesting points from time to time, but he's basically just a more sophisticated, polished, academic version of Candace Owens, Brandon Tatum, the Hodge twins, etc. He is a character whose job it is to analyze black American society for alt-light types and provide intellectualized anti-black talking points ("What about black on black crime?" - "13/50" - "70% oF blAcK cHilDrEn R bOrN oUt oF wEdLoCk" - "tHeRe aRe MoRe bLaCk MeN iN jAiL tHaN iN coLleGe!" - "Chicago! Baltimore! Saint Louis!", "ThInGz WeRe WoRsE 4 uS pre-CiViL rIgHtZ eRa" etc. He's not breaking any new ground, Thomas Sowell already corned the market on the whole Black Pathology for Whites 101 course. His whole argument in this video is just illogical, generic whataboutism that you will find on any Ben Shapiro, PragerU, Turning Point blog posting. As a black millennial, I think John McWhorter is somewhat of dinosaur - and it's not just a black conservative thing - many of these black academic types - from Thomas Sowell, to McWhorter, to Michael Eric Dyson, and Cornell West - hold these boomerized views that are obsolete in a 21st Century economy....these guys can academically tell you everthing that is wrong but I never see them actually proposing any solutions, just repeating old arguments, telling us things we already know, so I question their usefulness... I could say more, but I don't think you'd understand my POV...but that's it for now.
    I'd have to disagree with you concerning Cornel West. MED pisses me off to no end with how he can say absolutely nothing while somehow getting 5,000 words per minute out of his mouth, but I believe West is the continuation of the line of thinking proposed by MLK, Fred Hampton, Kwame Ture and the like with regards to his solutions.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Some of most idiotic bits of drivel I've ever seen. This is what happens all the time. Everybody loves to gloss over how structural racism works. Why the hell is it that poverty leads to more encounters with the cops? Do black people commit more crimes? Or is it just easier to go after them because structural racism has put them in that position?

Did the cops visit the republican senators who sold stock right before Covid? Of course not. White collar crime in this country WAY deeper and VASTLY more insidious than selling cigarettes but of course, the white collar guy won't even hear a peep from the cops while the guy selling cigarettes ended up dead from a chokehold.

That's the playbook in this country. Since we can't keep them as slaves anymore, let's do everything we can to keep as many of them in poverty. Let's equate poverty to criminality, and then further demonize them by saying it's all their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    Everybody loves to gloss over how structural racism works.
    Particularly the hucksters and charlatans trying to convince us that it exists.

Blog Entries

Some of most idiotic bits of drivel I've ever seen. This is what happens all the time. Everybody loves to gloss over how structural racism works. Why the hell is it that poverty leads to more encounters with the cops? Do black people commit more crimes? Or is it just easier to go after them because structural racism has put them in that position?

Did the cops visit the republican senators who sold stock right before Covid? Of course not. White collar crime in this country WAY deeper and VASTLY more insidious than selling cigarettes but of course, the white collar guy won't even hear a peep from the cops while the guy selling cigarettes ended up dead from a chokehold.

That's the playbook in this country. Since we can't keep them as slaves anymore, let's do everything we can to keep as many of them in poverty. Let's equate poverty to criminality, and then further demonize them by saying it's all their fault.

So you live in poverty?

Um yea we do and the gini coefficient is part of it, ignoring a problem does no good.

Black Americans are disproportionately both the victims, and the perpetrators of violent crime.

Significantly.

I don't think this is credibly disputed by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BuryRaven View Post
    Um yea we do and the gini coefficient is part of it, ignoring a problem does no good.
    You have no idea whether it's true or not, multiple studies show that in many area black crime gets policed way way harder than in any white area.

You have no idea whether it's true or not, multiple studies show that in many area black crime gets policed way way harder than in any white area.

Even the most delusional of sycophants would not walk America's inner city streets after dark.

And would not hesitate in the Suburbs.

You included.

All else is pretense.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Black Americans are disproportionately both the victims, and the perpetrators of violent crime.

Significantly.

I don't think this is credibly disputed by anyone.
    Lol that may be the case however, the point is that regardless of crime, black people are policed way harder whether or not they commit crimes at the same level or less than every other race. End of story. That is structural racism.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Even the most delusional of sycophants would not walk America's inner city streets after dark.

And would not hesitate in the Suburbs.

You included.

All else is pretense.
    Lmaoooo bruh, I LITERALLY hooped in east Baltimore city AT PLAYGROUNDS until well after college and moved. How you goin tell me where I been?