Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast

Re: Justin Houston to visit Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I agree the Ravens have a need at Edge/OLB, but I disagree it's as dire as you do. They struggled to get pressure without blitzing, but most teams do. They finished as the #2 scoring defense in the NFL, #2 on 3rd down %, #7 overall and 14th in sacks. That is the very definition of middle of the pack. They need help, no doubt, but I do not for 1 second believe they think a player that would provide a major improvement is sitting out there available right now.
    The stats you quote are from last years team which just lost $35 M of OLBs in '21 money (according to Spotrac). The remaining players combined for 7 sacks last year so it does seem quite dire. I think any top available FAs would offer a fairly large improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    The stats you quote are from last years team which just lost $35 M of OLBs in '21 money (according to Spotrac). The remaining players combined for 7 sacks last year so it does seem quite dire. I think any top available FAs would offer a fairly large improvement.
    There's no other numbers to quote...this season hasn't started yet. If this is the opening day roster, you'd have quite the case on your hands. But with this round of FA not finished, the draft, the next round of FA as well as final cutdowns and trades still as options on the table - I highly doubt this will be the opening day roster. I'm relatively certain they will add more players. As I said earlier, I think we just disagree on the direness of the situation and whether any of the currently available free agents offers a significant improvement. That is perfectly fine.

Yes I agree Justin Houston is an improvement over <empty roster spot>. Is he better than <player to be drafted or traded for later>? Don't know. Does adding him coupled with the departures from last year amount to major improvement overall, I say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Yes I agree Justin Houston is an improvement over <empty roster spot>. Is he better than <player to be drafted or traded for later>? Don't know. Does adding him coupled with the departures from last year amount to major improvement overall, I say no.
    I'm not set on Houston, or any of the better remaining FA pass rushers in particular, but if they don't sign any of them I probably will start to panic. I don't foresee a trade, except maybe mid-season, DeCosta likes his draft picks too much for that. That would probably mean rookie additions only at the position and probably lock the Ravens into that position at 27, no matter who was available.

I'm not set on Houston, or any of the better remaining FA pass rushers in particular, but if they don't sign any of them I probably will start to panic. I don't foresee a trade, except maybe mid-season, DeCosta likes his draft picks too much for that. That would probably mean rookie additions only at the position and probably lock the Ravens into that position at 27, no matter who was available.
    I don't think we have a choice. We not picking top tier pass rushers anymore and no team will give up a premium player. So you have to roll with whats available.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    I don't think we have a choice. We not picking top tier pass rushers anymore and no team will give up a premium player. So you have to roll with whats available.
    Yes. That's why adding one of those vets who, at least, knows how to play the position in the NFL feels important to me.

Yes. That's why adding one of those vets who, at least, knows how to play the position in the NFL feels important to me.
    I would like them to sign at least two players. They only proven player you have is bowser at that position.

I would like them to sign at least two players. They only proven player you have is bowser at that position.
    McPhee, Ferguson, are both returning. Not the answer, but they are who they are...

Pretty sure the Ravens are going to sign one and draft one.

Bowser
    Vet FA
    McPhee
    Ferguson
    Draft Pick
    Adeoye

I believe Rivers will be listed as DE so there's a six pack.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post

Bowser
    Vet FA
    McPhee
    Ferguson
    Draft Pick
    Adeoye

That sounds about right. I could see two edge rusher FA's being brought in.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post

Bowser
    Vet FA
    McPhee
    Ferguson
    Draft Pick
    Adeoye

Like i said you only have bowser. Im not sure the ravens will just be comfortable just signing only one vet. McPhee is situational and over the hill. Ferguson struggle to see the field. And the other two are TBD.

Bowser
    2 vets
    McPhee

Those will be your locks. Whoever they draft will be battling with Ferguson and one of those 3 vets.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    That sounds about right. I could see two edge rusher FA's being brought in.
    I think a double dip at edge in the draft is much more likely than two in Free Agency.

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    McPhee, Ferguson, are both returning. Not the answer, but they are who they are...
    They will be looking to replace Ferguson or give him some comp. I can't tell you how many times I seen Ferguson get baited on reverses.