Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlon Brown

Re: Marlon Brown

Not to mention that all of this speculation hinges on the belief that the team DIDN'T make NE and offer. For all we know, they did exactly what you're suggesting and Belicheck simply turned them down. Not to mention how incredibly silly it is to be arguing a hypothetical trade that may or may not have been offered several drafts ago for a player who may or may not follow up on a really impressive stretch of games in one season.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Not to mention that all of this speculation hinges on the belief that the team DIDN'T make NE and offer. For all we know, they did exactly what you're suggesting and Belicheck simply turned them down. Not to mention how incredibly silly it is to be arguing a hypothetical trade that may or may not have been offered several drafts ago for a player who may or may not follow up on a really impressive stretch of games in one season.
    I am not "suggesting" anything. The only thing I am arguing against is the assertion that we couldn't have possibly traded up because we lacked 3rd and 4th round picks required to make a fair/comparable offer.

I also don't think it is all that "silly" to discuss the issue of whether or not the Ravens have tried really hard to draft a stud WR since Flacco has been here. Especially considering about 50% of the threads are about the current state of our WR core (how much does Doss suck, does Marlon Brown have "IT," how hurt is Thompson, can a 37 year-old WR help our team for 16 games, etc., etc.)

But since you're not in the draft room, you have no idea what offers we made or didn't make so your central premise, that we can possibly ascertain how much the team has tried to get a tip tier receiver, is totally undebatable.

All we know is that they have brought guys in, Boldin, Torrey, Jacoby, etc in the hopes that one or all of them would be that guy. Torrey has shown the most in terms of raw talent, Boldin had the most production, and Jacoby has flashed in big games, so they haven't totally failed either.

The reality of the matter is that we're perennially drafting late, and there just haven't been many chances to grab an AJ Green or Julio type player. We may or may not have tried to move up to get Dez, but it didn't happen. Why that is is pure speculation on every's part.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

But since you're not in the draft room, you have no idea what offers we made or didn't make so your central premise, that we can possibly ascertain how much the team has tried to get a tip tier receiver, is totally undebatable.
    We know that the amount they have tried is less than the amount required to do it.

All we know is that they have brought guys in, Boldin, Torrey, Jacoby, etc in the hopes that one or all of them would be that guy. Torrey has shown the most in terms of raw talent, Boldin had the most production, and Jacoby has flashed in big games, so they haven't totally failed either.
    Of course. No one (at least not me) was arguing they "totally failed." We won a SB, afterall. In fact, I wasn't even arguing we have barely tried, though I don't think the team considers it a huge priority.

The reality of the matter is that we're perennially drafting late, and there just haven't been many chances to grab an AJ Green or Julio type player. We may or may not have tried to move up to get Dez, but it didn't happen. Why that is is pure speculation on every's part.
    Atlanta finished ahead of us in 2010, and was drafting 1 spot behind us in 2011, but made a big move to get Julio. That said, I recognize we don't seem to be that kind of F.O., nor do I think we necessarily should be that kind of F.O.

But in the context of this conversation, others probably think that if you pay your QB top 5 money, you should make a bold move to get him a young alpha, #1 WR, even if it means sacrificing elsewhere. Again, I don't necessarily agree (with a Julio-like big costly trade), but teams have done that for their QB. I am more talking about using a #1 wherever it is, on a tall, physical specimen, WR, or even using our #2 more often, until we surround Flacco with a top notch WR corp.

And, no, I don't think he has been surrounded by rubbish, in fact I am one of the few who has taken a beating defending Boldin's value/talent. I just think that the team still basically drafts like it did when we were looking to lead the league in defense, and "get by" on offense; despite the fact we just anted up for our QB.

For those who came in late:
    X is "elite"
    "Is not."
    "Is so!"
    "Is not!"
    ETC

Also the stages of worry:
    1) Concern
    2) Deeply concerned
    3) Mortally concerned
    4) Panicked
    5) Wetting one's undies
    6) Dirtying one's drawers

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    X is "elite"
    "Is not."
    "Is so!"
    "Is not!"
    ETC

1) Concern
    2) Deeply concerned
    3) Mortally concerned
    4) Panicked
    5) Wetting one's undies
    7) Jumping off a roof
    8. Jumping off the Bay Bridge

Never mind that... I'm enjoying re-living the 2010 and 2011 drafts.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

OK. I'm sold on this kid.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    X is "elite"
    "Is not."
    "Is so!"
    "Is not!"
    ETC

1) Concern
    2) Deeply concerned
    3) Mortally concerned
    4) Panicked
    5) Wetting one's undies
    *like button*

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    OK. I'm sold on this kid.
    I second that

The kid's all right.

Won't cut him.
    Can't stash him.
    IR would set him back and makes no sense.
    No ridiculous expectations needed, but he's earned a regular season look.

Which early opponent has small/short nickel backs?
    Even if slightly hesitant to put him out there too early, that's the match-up I would try to engineer with Marlon...plus you'd have great slight lines for Joe to connect.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 08-30-2013 at 01:46 AM.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

On that slant for the TD he looked more like Smith than anyone else on the team. If he stays healthy, he could be quite the bookend for Torrey.