Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanier on Lamar

Re: Tanier on Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I think it’s unreasonable to expect Jackson’s issues to be completely fixed, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask him to make routine easy passes the majority of the time.
    I mean I saw nothing in that article (or any of the reports from camp) to indicate that wasn’t the case. I guess we’ll just have to see.

We can pick nits or gloss over them or call it like we see it, but at the end of the day, I am just so excited to see something new from this team. Whether it will work or not, or whether its sustainable or not are questions we'll hopefully have answers to a year from now. For the time being, I'm counting down the days until we can see it in action because at least it'll be different. In the years since the Super Bowl the product on the field became stale and I'm eager to see it refreshed. Its a win-win to me: either it works and the offense is dynamic, punishing, and exciting to watch, or it doesn't work and we usher in a new regime. Either way we'll have something new to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    We can pick nits or gloss over them or call it like we see it, but at the end of the day, I am just so excited to see something new from this team. Whether it will work or not, or whether its sustainable or not are questions we'll hopefully have answers to a year from now. For the time being, I'm counting down the days until we can see it in action because at least it'll be different. In the years since the Super Bowl the product on the field became stale and I'm eager to see it refreshed. Its a win-win to me: either it works and the offense is dynamic, punishing, and exciting to watch, or it doesn't work and we usher in a new regime. Either way we'll have something new to talk about.
    “Stale” really is the best word for the post SB years. *certainly* since 2015.

Win or lose, it’s gonna be very very interesting now, at the very least.

I think this is why posters get annoyed. Jab and I are not unreasonable posters. We don't spew Lamar hate. But we express some concerns about something that seems super reasonable and then someone says this thread needs to shift gears.

I'm more than happy to have a conversation about expecations and what we were all hoping could improve in the last 3 months, but it certainly does come off like we can't be disappointed or critical.

Just my 2 cents because that's how I took that.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I think this is why posters get annoyed. Jab and I are not unreasonable posters. We don't spew Lamar hate. But we express some concerns about something that seems super reasonable and then someone says this thread needs to shift gears.

I'm more than happy to have a conversation about expecations and what we were all hoping could improve in the last 3 months, but it certainly does come off like we can't be disappointed or critical.

The fact that an article about his improvement included a qualifier about how occasional routine throws still flutter was taken to mean his work this offseason didn’t pay off at all is unreasonable, full stop. I don’t care who the poster is or how reasonable yall usually are.

The OP asks if Lamar can have a breakout season similar to Mahomes. But for all the disappointment that Lamar isn't already a polished vet hitting every throw, does everyone remember what was actually being reported about Mahomes this time last year?

https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/sp...211860434.html

Multiple INTs, no TDs, several off throws, and simply looked like he wasn't ready. I'm not saying Lamar will be Mahomes, but that if you want to focus on the negative portion of reports you'll only remember the negative.

Yes the report mentioned some off throws, but it also flat out said Jackson looked much better this year, on basically every level, than he did a year ago.

I feel like some people spent all last offseason saying Jackson is a two or three year project just to get mad that he's not a polished thrower after 1 year

GWNR,
    I have absolutely no problem with you or JAB being critical...especially since it is usually backed upped with well thought out points that give me something to think about. I was simply trying to be proactive and hoping that the entire article and all the points it made were not washed away in yet another "Lamar is the GOAT" vs "Lamar couldn't hit the broad side of a barn" argument. That's why I said "before the brigade gets here". Also, in case I haven't made it clear, I'm probably closer to the your camp on these things, especially since it hasn't really worked league wide with non-traditional pocket passers. But I'm willing to take a patient approach with it to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    The things I liked about that article were that it shed a little bit of light on the fact that the Ravens do really appear to be trying to modernize and I am very intrigued by that
    I think successfully implementing something like this could pay major dividends in drafts going forward because skill positions players would be able to get up to speed much faster if they were coming into a system that similar to one they played in at the collegiate level.
    Yes!

Roman even said something to that exact effect, either in his hiring presser or in the "Lounge" podcast (I forget which). He said making the offense easier to learn (verbiage) and incorporating more concepts that incoming players are familiar with (college spread stuff) should get young players up to speed and contributing faster than before. It's one of their goals.

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    The OP asks if Lamar can have a breakout season similar to Mahomes. But for all the disappointment that Lamar isn't already a polished vet hitting every throw, does everyone remember what was actually being reported about Mahomes this time last year?

https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/sp...211860434.html

Multiple INTs, no TDs, several off throws, and simply looked like he wasn't ready. I'm not saying Lamar will be Mahomes, but that if you want to focus on the negative portion of reports you'll only remember the negative.

Yes the report mentioned some off throws, but it also flat out said Jackson looked much better this year, on basically every level, than he did a year ago.

I feel like some people spent all last offseason saying Jackson is a two or three year project just to get mad that he's not a polished thrower after 1 year
    Thissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    The fact that an article about his improvement included a qualifier about how occasional routine throws still flutter was taken to mean his work this offseason didn’t pay off at all is unreasonable, full stop. I don’t care who the poster is or how reasonable yall usually are.
    In the context of him choosing a QB coach that many questioned for not having a real track record, it's most definitely worth a discussion.

That being said, he could have went with the other dude he may be working with now and still be throwing inconsistently, but I think choosing Harris wasn't him giving his best effort.

That being said, it's his decision and he knows a hell of a lot more about why he picked Harris than I do lol.

But to say it's unreasonable is silly.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

In the context of him choosing a QB coach that many questioned for not having a real track record, it's most definitely worth a discussion.

That being said, he could have went with the other dude he may be working with now and still be throwing inconsistently, but I think choosing Harris wasn't him giving his best effort.

That being said, it's his decision and he knows a hell of a lot more about why he picked Harris than I do lol.

But to say it's unreasonable is silly.
    So you think a reasonable expectation is that after one offseason he would never miss a routine throw again? You think that’s realistic?

This was an article *about his improvement* and people are saying his work didn’t pay off because he isn’t literally perfect yet.