Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    wow thats amazing.
    what kind of food besides pizza do you use it for?
    Pretty much anything that can be made in a traditional oven, but our favorites besides pizza is cooking in a dutch oven or cast iron skillet. Chile, soups, breads, meats (turkey is our favorite). My wife prepares most of what I cook, but I do have my few favorites. We had meatloaf, scalloped potatoes and asparagus just a bit ago. I also do quite a bit of smoking, when I have time. We are constantly trying out new recipes. Here is a pic of the whole thing, taken a few years ago right after I finished it. Attachment 4994

Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Pretty much anything that can be made in a traditional oven, but our favorites besides pizza is cooking in a dutch oven or cast iron skillet. Chile, soups, breads, meats (turkey is our favorite). My wife prepares most of what I cook, but I do have my few favorites. We had meatloaf, scalloped potatoes and asparagus just a bit ago. I also do quite a bit of smoking, when I have time. We are constantly trying out new recipes. Here is a pic of the whole thing, taken a few years ago right after I finished it. Attachment 4994
    Wow, that looks amazing. Nice work!

My buddy with the Big Green Egg also had a wood burning oven. He made some awesome mediteranean style lamb in it.

Attachment 4993 My brick oven....built it myself. Use it all the time.
    That's pretty sweet. How hard was it to build?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Because I don't have a smoker. Our church does BeastFeast every year so I have access to two huge smokers.
    Check this out. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/miniwsm.html

Cheap project that takes a couple hours and works pretty well.

5. Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    That's pretty sweet. How hard was it to build?

Not too bad. I did lots of research and found a good online forum w/folks that have built them. I'm pretty handy, so that helped a lot. It stays so warm w/residual heat that I can come out the next morning after using it the afternoon/night before and actually make scones, muffins, bread, etc. w/out doing a thing. It's usually around 325-375 degrees in there the next morning.

For any of you in the Baltimore area or coming in for a visit, we had an event on Saturday night at Blue Dog Barbecue on Central & Bank, couple blocks north from Harbor East. 20 or so people in a private room. The service was great and the barbecue was phenomenal. Highly recommend it. They cater as well.

looks great.

8. Re: BBQ, Grilling, and Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    looks great.
    Thanks.

Chorizo stuffed pork loin and Mexican corn last night. I love chorizo and when I see it on a menu, I'm getting whatever that dish is.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    Chorizo stuffed pork loin and Mexican corn last night. I love chorizo and when I see it on a menu, I'm getting whatever that dish is.

The port loin looks good and I am sure is a great combination but I am not big chorizo fan. I have had some good and bad and if its seasoned wrong I just am not huge mexican fan. My wife likes mexican way more than me but she doesnt like Chorizo either.

People talking about brick oven pizza, I unfortunately do not own one but last week my I made cheesteak flatbread pizza after my wife said she was craving Dominoes I made it for my wife and 2 of her friends and they both raved how it was best pizza they ever had.

I used pre made store bought flat bread. I bought shaved steak meat, on the bread I used an asiago cream sauce, white american cheese, then topped the pizza with steak meat, onions, mushrooms and provolone. Baked it 15 minutes and it was damn good. Better than any takeout I have ever tried.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    The port loin looks good and I am sure is a great combination but I am not big chorizo fan. I have had some good and bad and if its seasoned wrong I just am not huge mexican fan. My wife likes mexican way more than me but she doesnt like Chorizo either.

People talking about brick oven pizza, I unfortunately do not own one but last week my I made cheesteak flatbread pizza after my wife said she was craving Dominoes I made it for my wife and 2 of her friends and they both raved how it was best pizza they ever had.

I used pre made store bought flat bread. I bought shaved steak meat, on the bread I used an asiago cream sauce, white american cheese, then topped the pizza with steak meat, onions, mushrooms and provolone. Baked it 15 minutes and it was damn good. Better than any takeout I have ever tried.
    I can understand your take on chorizo, I have definitely been let down a number of times. Quality can vary significantly. In this recipe the stuffing has 8 oz of chorizo (along with an egg and onion) to 4.5 lb pork loin, so it's not overwhelming, compliments the rub nicely.

That pizza sounds good (minus mushrooms for me). I've been making my own pizza every Friday for a while now. We used to get it from a local pizza place, but I realized even though it was good, $35 - $50 per week was getting ridiculous.

I don't have a pizza oven, but do have a pizza stone which gives a nice crisp crust in a regular oven. Pizza dough is surprisingly easy to make, though you will make a bit of a mess.

Blog Entries

So, Ive been looking at the Big Green Egg, but I recently saw some comparison vids about Kamado Joe vs BGE and it seems like the Joe is the better grill.

Does anyone here have an opinion on that?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.