Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I still cannot wrap my head around how Alex Smith improves this football team. When we talk about wins and losses with Flacco, then the detractors turn instantly to "well look at his stats". Well Alex Smith statistically is a worse QB than Joe Flacco. The man threw 1 touchdown his rookie year. ONE. He's been benched multiple times, and was almost not a part of the 49'ers at all at one point.

I don't get it.
    Alex Smith has also never endured a mid-atlantic winter. San Francisco isn't a tropical climate by any means, but Smith has never really played in outdoor stadiums like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland in the dead of winter. As a matter of fact, I remember specifically looking this up last year prior to the Thanksgiving game when the Niners came to town. Say what you want, but it takes a special QB to be able to withstand outdoor football in the cold.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

After having watched him for five seasons, my opinion is that Flacco is a QB with an elite arm and average to sub-par QB "IQ" (mobility in the pocket, leadership, ability to change play). He used to take care of the ball and that made him "near-elite." Now he is beginning to turn the ball over more frequently, and that definitely brings him back into the pack. The Ravens can't pay him elite money unless he really turns it up in the next few weeks.

One thing is for sure, he is definitely a QB who needs good protection and the Ravens will need to have the resources to fix that.

Again...you can't throw Joe $14M, introduce a new OC and stop. That's half ass at best, throwing away fat loot at worst. You must fix the OL...and to do that effectively you need to cut, trade, and/or sign. Nevermind sinking too much $$$ in, or too many picks on the defense. 2013 needs to be [damn near] all about offense. We will never get a true evaluation of Joe otherwise.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I think most of you are severely underestimating how much Flacco would get on the FA market from a team like the NYJ, Bills, Raiders, Chiefs, or Cards (just the first five off the top of my head)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I think most of you are severely underestimating how much Flacco would get on the FA market from a team like the NYJ, Bills, Raiders, Chiefs, or Cards (just the first five off the top of my head)
    They will offer way more than we can offer, which is why I'm terrified that the FO are going to use the franchise tag on him. It's going to be a rough year if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Does this team stand a chance of competing without Joe Flacco?
    That was going to be my exact response.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Does this team stand a chance of competing without Joe Flacco?
    With all possible scenarios on the table for 2013, probably not. BUT...the TEAM make-up can be improved without Joe Flacco and his $14M check.
    Our "next franchise" QB (in 2014?) will be that better off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    With all possible scenarios on the table for 2013, probably not. BUT...the TEAM make-up can be improved without Joe Flacco and his $14M check.
    A bird in the hand...

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    A bird in the hand...
    How quickly some forget this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Boller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Which is also a crap shoot.

The devil you know...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Which is also a crap shoot.

The devil you know...
    Point being, this team can win with average play at the QB position, providing players come back healthy and we sign some good players and use some high round picks to fix the opine. Why pay through the nose for slightly above average, when you can get someone much cheaper for average play. A guy like Alex Smith is only going to be a stop gap before there comes a long a good draft filled with decent QB prospects, perhaps like this years draft which now has six (seven if you count Cousins as a starter after Sunday) rookies starting for their teams, three of whom look likely to lead their teams into the play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Point being, this team can win with average play at the QB position, providing players come back healthy and we sign some good players and use some high round picks to fix the opine. Why pay through the nose for slightly above average, when you can get someone much cheaper for average play. A guy like Alex Smith is only going to be a stop gap before there comes a long a good draft filled with decent QB prospects, perhaps like this years draft which now has six (seven if you count Cousins as a starter after Sunday) rookies starting for their teams, three of whom look likely to lead their teams into the play offs.
    Sounds pretty risky too me with a 27 year old QB who's started every game and done enough to get his team into the playoffs every year he's been in the league...If there's 1 thing you can't do in the NFL it's cheap out at the QB position.

I understand your point, but I think your wholly and completely 100% wrong. Flacco's good enough to get it done (see 2011 AFCC) and it's looking like Ozzie's going to get him for a lot cheaper than any of us thought back in August.

Don't really want to see my team dump the (1) starting QB, (2) sign a stop-gap guy, and (3) hope for a new savior at some undetermined and unknown future time. Not a winning formula if you ask me.