Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

Bushrod sucks...I have no idea why anyone wants him. I'd rather have McKinnie back.

And I'd rather let Leach go than Jacoby.

When you are paying your QB the money we are, there is no room in your offense for a FB making over $2 million in any season IMHO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Bushrod sucks...I have no idea why anyone wants him. I'd rather have McKinnie back.

And I'd rather let Leach go than Jacoby.

When you are paying your QB the money we are, there is no room in your offense for a FB making over $2 million in any season IMHO.
    Is there much of a market for Leach anyway? He is 31 years old and plays a position that is being phased out in the NFL. How many teams really utilize the FB that much anymore anyway? I think Leach likes it here, and wonder if he would take a pay cut to stay. I am not sure that anyone is going to be banging his door down with a big money offer.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Why do people want a really old slow NT for? IMO we need more speed on the Dline. Would much prefer Jean Francois than Casey Hampton.
    Excel is the only one I've seen pounding the table for Hampton.

They way I look at Hampton is the way I look at Cody. They're basically just large plugs meant to blow up the centre and disrupt run plays. However, I'm more interested in Jean Francois becuase he's a quicker guy who will make plays and not just be a disruption.

However, I'm a huge advocate for Ngata at NT becuase he's large AND quick. I think he has more potential as a NT than 3-4 DE
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    If Vollmer is decently cheap, I would make a run at him.

Otherwise, sounds like Sam Baker or Jermon Bushrod are the next guys to look at.

King Dunlap and BMac are basically our insurance options.
    Baker and Bushrod are basically Oher.... PASS

MY FA targets are in order:
    Ellerbe
    Vollmer
    Knighton

if we got all 3 all we would really need in the draft is a safety and an blockign TE/H-Back... pretty easy to fill those needs

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Excel is the only one I've seen pounding the table for Hampton.
    I'm not pounding the table for Hampton, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Baker and Bushrod are basically Oher.... PASS

MY FA targets are in order:
    Ellerbe
    Vollmer
    Knighton

if we got all 3 all we would really need in the draft is a safety and an blockign TE/H-Back... pretty easy to fill those needs
    If we only could afford those three...
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    They way I look at Hampton is the way I look at Cody. They're basically just large plugs meant to blow up the centre and disrupt run plays. However, I'm more interested in Jean Francois becuase he's a quicker guy who will make plays and not just be a disruption.

However, I'm a huge advocate for Ngata at NT becuase he's large AND quick. I think he has more potential as a NT than 3-4 DE
    I have also been advocating moving Ngata to NT for a while now. He's older now and all the lower body injuries have sapped some of his explosion off the line that made him such a penetrator when he was healthy in years past. But he still has immense strength to anchor against the double team and he's probably our most technically sound lineman.

Move him to NT and get him down to about 50% of snaps instead of closer to 80% and he'll be a much more effective per-play player. The only issue there is that you would be asking Art Jones and Pernell McPhee to play a lot more snaps on either side of him. Are both of them ready to be full-time starting DEs, especially McPhee? Behind them you really only have DeAngelo Tyson, so we would need to pick up some depth at 5-tech. Ricky-Jean Francois would be great because he can split time with Ngata at NT and also back up at the 5-tech DE spot. Cody can also play 5-tech in a pinch.

Here's what the DL depth chart would look like if we moved Ngata:

DE/DT - Art Jones/DeAngelo Tyson
    NT - Ngata/Francois or draft pick/Cody
    DE - McPhee/Francois/draft pick

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Is there much of a market for Leach anyway? He is 31 years old and plays a position that is being phased out in the NFL. How many teams really utilize the FB that much anymore anyway? I think Leach likes it here, and wonder if he would take a pay cut to stay. I am not sure that anyone is going to be banging his door down with a big money offer.
    Well, sure if he takes a pay cut. But it would be a BIG pay cut. IMHO, paying your QB the money we are, a pro bowl FB who is in on only 42% of your snaps (and likely that percentage will be dropping as Joe imprints his vision in the offense) is a luxury that most cannot afford.

$1.5 million per year max IMHO for a fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    $1.5 million per year max IMHO for a fullback.
    I say $1 million, even if he is the best in the business
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    I say $1 million, even if he is the best in the business
    That's on;y 100k (or so) over the vet minimum. I understand the need for FB's is less and less but there is no way you get the best in the business even a punter or for that price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    That's on;y 100k (or so) over the vet minimum. I understand the need for FB's is less and less but there is no way you get the best in the business even a punter or for that price.
    Works for me. We don't need the best in the business FB anyways. Draft a good blocking TE.