Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Re: Tim Tebow signs with the Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by Mr OC View Post
    Does Tebow offer any value in helping the Patriots prepare for teams and their pistol offenses? If so, I can see him sticking there as a third string guy.
    No, because the majority of QBs who run that system are also accurate throwing the ball. Tim Tebow hasn't completed 50% of his career attempts. The only reason they made this move was to learn what they could about the Jets offense, like they've done dozens of times before. If you can't record your opponents, steal one of them and pick his brain.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    No, because the majority of QBs who run that system are also accurate throwing the ball. Tim Tebow hasn't completed 50% of his career attempts. The only reason they made this move was to learn what they could about the Jets offense, like they've done dozens of times before. If you can't record your opponents, steal one of them and pick his brain.
    Anything the Pats need to beat the Jets can be learned from coaches film.

Players are not poached from rival teams for any inside information. That's just a fan myth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Players are not poached from rival teams for any inside information. That's just a fan myth.
    I agree. It's a dumb myth too.

I get the NFL Gamepass during the season, and I watch the coaches film of at least every Ravens game and some of their opponents. It's pretty crazy what you can learn from watching the all-22. Everything is out there...

Are you seriously that naive?

Are you seriously that gullible?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I agree. It's a dumb myth too.

I get the NFL Gamepass during the season, and I watch the coaches film of at least every Ravens game and some of their opponents. It's pretty crazy what you can learn from watching the all-22. Everything is out there...
    And we don't even see all the film the coaches get.

Tebow providing any pertinent info about a team the Pats already pwn on the regular is a laughable stretch of fan fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Hindsight is always 20-20. Jimmy Graham was a project; nobody truly knew that he would have the impact he had so early (which is in part a function of Sean Payton and Drew Brees). The Ravens had no 3rd or 4th round pick, and no 4th round comp pick, so they never would have gotten Pitta without the trade (Pitta was taken at #114; I doubt he would have lasted to #156, the next pick the Ravens had). Gronkowski had a questionable injury history (which may be proven right over time), and it's not as if Dickson hasn't contributed at all. Now, with Caldwell's offense and the maturation of Flacco, you may see more effective use of two TEs in the passing game, which really wasn't Cam's thing. I wouldn't write Dickson off just yet.
    agreed Hindsight is 20-20, unless you are lookign at it wrong. I even pointed out in my post that I thoguth it was a good trade when it was made, but was disappointed we missed on the corners the following round. Trading for Josh Wilson greatly changed my immediate reacion to thsi draft, but when someone is talkin abotu that trade/draft NOW and says 2/3 that is patnetly false. Dickson, whatever becomes of him, was a HUGE MISS. He has contributed to some, but there is absolutely no denying that he has been a disappointment in purple.

And I forgot we did not have a comp 4th either, and you are correct that I doubt Pitta would have been there at 156... but with Gronk in the fold that is all but inconsequential. Gronk is the biggest matchup problme in the NFL today, I'll take him and his injury issues over our entire draft from that year, 100 times out of 100. Besides Pitta, a fine TE in his own right, we have gotten almost nothing at all from that class. Art Jones is a very average NFL player, which is a good thing for a 5th round pick.

No he is right, you are the naive one if you think there is antyhing at all to be gained from a player such as you describe.

Playbooks are virtually all the same. Tendencies can be gleaned from film, so can signals, verbage, etc. Verbage is changed several tiems a year, as a re signals. The only way it would help is if you signed a player that was cut after the FINAL gameplan was presented to the players for the game agaisnt you only a few day later, and after learning that their opponent signed their cut player, the player's previous tema changes up nothing. Which is almost a logistical impossibility inand of itself.

It is 100% fan myth.

They signed Tebow to help them as an offensive player nothign more, nothign less. Bellichek is a master at fitting players into well defined, specific roles. If you don't think that Tebow can help a team in a very specific, well defined role, I'm nto sure what you have been watching. While Tebow looks liek pure garbage trying to do what he is nto very well suited at doing, when he does what he ISwell suited to do, he is virtually unstoppable. He is probably the best goalline/short yardage rusher since Mike Alstott.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    ...but when someone is talkin abotu that trade/draft NOW and says 2/3 that is patnetly false. Dickson, whatever becomes of him, was a HUGE MISS. He has contributed to some, but there is absolutely no denying that he has been a disappointment in purple...
    A "huge miss"? Not exactly. Jamarcus Russell is a huge miss. Ryan Leaf is a huge miss. Ed Dickson? Not as much. As for being a disappointment, I can agree, but if he was such a huge disappointment, the Ravens wouldn't keep trotting him out there and they would have drafted his replacement (a la Terrance Cody). It's not as if he can't play and hasn't contributed, and it's not as if he is being written out of the Ravens' plans for this coming season.

If you want "huge miss" from that draft that is pertinent to the thread, look no further than Tim Tebow. (That's my half-assed attempt to get the thread back on topic.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    They signed Tebow to help them as an offensive player nothign more, nothign less. Bellichek is a master at fitting players into well defined, specific roles. If you don't think that Tebow can help a team in a very specific, well defined role, I'm nto sure what you have been watching. While Tebow looks liek pure garbage trying to do what he is nto very well suited at doing, when he does what he ISwell suited to do, he is virtually unstoppable. He is probably the best goalline/short yardage rusher since Mike Alstott.
    You've got the right of it, imo. The Patriots have played a ton of players in games over the last decade or so. They've used players like Woodley and Edelman effectively in limited action.

Tebow is a hell of a football player. He's not a good passer. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. A creative OC could find ways to get Tebow on the field to good effect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    You've got the right of it, imo. The Patriots have played a ton of players in games over the last decade or so. They've used players like Woodley and Edelman effectively in limited action.

Tebow is a hell of a football player. He's not a good passer. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. A creative OC could find ways to get Tebow on the field to good effect.
    I think Tebow is going to improve as a passer. He will probably never be a great pocket passer, but I think that he can be better.

Are you seriously that gullible?
    I wonder sometimes if you say some of the things you do just to be a contrarian, or if you actually believe it.

Forget about the fact that coaches and/or sports writers or whoever convinced you it was a myth for a second. Explain to me why a known cheater would sign a fringe player from the team they are playing in the coming week on Monday, have them there for all 3 practices during the week, then cut them the day before the game.