Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: The NFL & COVID in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Trying to shame unvaccinated players with this may work to a degree, but this further puts the efficacy of the vaccine into question, and last time it was the Ravens assistant strength and conditioning coach or whoever who made the mess. Not a player.
    How do you figure?

Re: The NFL & COVID in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    85% ??? why not 100% ??? The wife and I got both our shots a very long time ago, as soon as we could. Do you mean that pro athletes, who know they're going to be in locker rooms and on the field with many of their ilk, aren't ???

SMH... Bc
    I mean, a not insignificant portion of the country doesn't want the COVID vaccine. I'm sure that Cole Beasley isn't the only player in the NFL that falls into that portion, although he's certainly the most open about it.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Waywatcher View Post
    How do you figure?
    If 85%-90% of the players are vaccinated and there is an outbreak amongst the unvaccinated, that would maybe be a handful of active roster players. I don’t see how if it’s just among the unvaccinated because the vaccinated are 100% safe that it would be enough to necessitate a forfeit.

Blog Entries

It should be a job requirement. If not, OPT out.

5. Re: The NFL & COVID in 2021

If 85%-90% of the players are vaccinated and there is an outbreak amongst the unvaccinated, that would maybe be a handful of active roster players. I don’t see how if it’s just among the unvaccinated because the vaccinated are 100% safe that it would be enough to necessitate a forfeit.
    No vaccine is 100% effective, though. And the vaccinated also aren't 100% safe - it's just highly unlikely that, if you've received both shots, you'll both contract and be affected by COVID's worst symptoms (something like 0.5% of all COVID hospital deaths nationwide have occurred to vaccinated people).

Breakthrough cases happen even with the best of vaccines (which, by all accounts, the three top jabs all are). But those that still contract the virus are less likely to spread it due to smaller viral loads in their system (though it happens) and far less likely to end up in the hospital (though that happens, too).

But all of this should be common knowledge by now, not an indictment of the vaccine at all. The likelihood of your scenario occurring is quite low, though.

P.S.: Greg - studies show that the antibodies granted by both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are both more effective and longer-lasting than "natural immunity" conferred by having contracted and recovered from COVID in the past, particularly when you're talking about the new strains (e.g., Delta didn't really exist in the U.S. last year).
    Last edited by Waywatcher; 07-22-2021 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    I mean, a not insignificant portion of the country doesn't want the COVID vaccine. I'm sure that Cole Beasley isn't the only player in the NFL that falls into that portion, although he's certainly the most open about it.
    Lol Judon is not too happy, tweeting "The NFLPA fucking sucks"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Question Re: The NFL & COVID in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Hmm, I wonder that if in the 1950's their parents or grandparents didn't want the Polio vaccine either... Bc

Blog Entries

Hmm, I wonder that if in the 1950's their parents or grandparents didn't want the Polio vaccine either... Bc
    Social media and mainstream news didn't exist back then.

9. Re: The NFL & COVID in 2021

Ironically, though the polio vaccine was seen as a monumental achievement for the human race, it was originally "only" 60-70% effective against the paralytic version of polio (the one that sent FDR to a wheelchair).

We have three vaccines now that are over 85% effective at preventing COVID entirely (and even more effective at preventing breakthrough cases from ending up in the ICU), and there are tens of millions of Americans who'd rather go with their gut. It's insane.

The vaccinated aren't 100% safe, but it's unlikely that more than a couple would test positive if unvaccinated players caught it. The problem is, what do you do with the unvaccinated players if one of them gets it, and the rest were close contacts? If your team is under 50% vaccinated, do you have to play with 30 guys suited up?
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Waywatcher View Post
    Ironically, though the polio vaccine was seen as a monumental achievement for the human race, it was originally "only" 60-70% effective against the paralytic version of polio (the one that sent FDR to a wheelchair).

We have three vaccines now that are over 85% effective at preventing COVID entirely (and even more effective at preventing breakthrough cases from ending up in the ICU), and there are tens of millions of Americans who'd rather go with their gut. It's insane.
    Ww, thanks for the history lesson (I didn't know that about the Polio vaccine) and the statistics.

Rhetorical question = Mathematically, if a vaccine is 85+% effective, isn't that better than ZERO?

It is, as you aptly put it, insane... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    Lol Judon is not too happy, tweeting "The NFLPA fucking sucks"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yup and Leonard Fournette says he can’t do it. I agree with Captain, if you feel that strongly just opt out. Don’t ruin it for the team.

Opt out date has passed but they’ll make exceptions

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!