Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: The Arc on Joe's ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    The arc formula mentioned in an earlier post assumes a circular arc. A thrown ball will have a more elongated trajectory on the way up, but it will come down more steeply since it loses lateral velocity due to air resistance. It still may be good enough for an approximate answer, but to do it right you'll probably need some physics and calculus. Yuck!
    Linky for calculating a trajectory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory

Good luck with this one! I'm not gonna attempt it.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Keep in mind to that Flacco started moving up in the pocket. That draws the defense forward in case Joe decided to run. Even Jacoby slowed down because no one thought Joe would throw that ball. Flacco's pocket presense also helped set this up.

Still, it was one of the best throws I've ever seen.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Bingo. If you and many others can figure that out why can't these highly paid 6 and 7 figure analyst do the same?

Fucking joke.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

I heard a radio caller name it the "F Bomb". I think that is a fitting name.

It was thrown by Flacco. It made Denver fans yell "F*ck!", and it made me yell "F*ck YEAH!!"
    I like that better than the Mile High Miracle. I will add this to name thread and give you credit.

Tell me how long the ball was in the air, as accurate as possible, and I'll tell give you my best guess as to how far it traveled.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreboy View Post
    Height's a little tough to tell.
    35' maybe?

God, so hard to tell with angles, foreshortening, etc... but I'm guessing at least 40ft.

Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    Tell me how long the ball was in the air, as accurate as possible, and I'll tell give you my best guess as to how far it traveled.
    I get 96 frames on the player with a frame rate of 29.970628.

Comes out to about 3.2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    That throw was about as perfect as one can throw the ball 60 yards in the air, on the run. No other QB in the NFL could have made that throw, that distance, with that much air under it and not even being able to fully step into his throw.

That is why is was completed. Moore had no idea that the ball could be thrown that far, and it surprised him.
    This was exactly my assessment of it. Moore was the goat, but I think he wouldn't have been the only one, in a similar situation, to make the same mistake. That ball just never seemed to lose trajectory. Sorta like a ball that keeps carrying over a centerfielders head.

Blog Entries

It was a perfect throw. All the kvetching about Moore misplaying the ball ignores that Jones misplayed it as well. I mentioned it on another thread.

Jones turns his body so he's facing the defender, which would have given Moore a chance to get his arm in there if he'd played Jones instead of trying to play the ball. I don't blame Jones- I don't know that he's capable of making the over-the-shoulder catch like we saw Boldin do against the Irsays- but it is what it is. The way Flacco threw that ball, if Jones plays it right the only chance either DB has of stopping the catch is to interfere with Jones. That ball nearly dropped straight down into his arms. That's awful tough to defend.

If there's another QB in the league capable of making that throw, I haven't seen him do it.

Ran a couple of calculations. Using 3.2 seconds as the hang time (which is what I calculated with a stop watch, but someone else just verified) and the 59 yards traveled estimate, I calculated an initial velocity of the throw at 23.02 meters/second (which is roughly 52 mph). Using that, I got a 42.92 degree launch angle. Also, the peak height came out to be 12.5 meters (13.7 yards).

If anyone has any theories as to how to use these numbers to get a distance of a curve, feel free. I have no idea.
    Last edited by dandrews; 01-14-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: F'd up some of my calculations
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    That would be a good one for a math guy..... There must be some equation based on the distance, height, angle. The height alone has to almost double the distance the ball went compared to ball thrown on a rope. I'm not a calculus guy... lol.

More impressive is that the bail didn't hang... it still had a ton of velocity. Is Sports Science on this?

And, I think Moore was in position for a standard deep throw. It was the arc that put it over his head. Moore misplayed the arc, not the distance.
    Haha it only takes pre-Algebra to calculate. Just draw a triangle from where Flacco was when he threw the ball, to where Jacoby was when he caught the ball, and then draw a straight line back to where Flacco was when he threw it, and then finish connecting the dot. Then just do the Pythagorean theorem.

But it will be hard because it's hard to determine how many yards the ball sailed to the right.

EDIT: Oh, you mean including height and stuff. Oops.
    Last edited by PurpleApocalypse37; 01-14-2013 at 04:23 PM.

This is the greatest and funniest thread I have ever seen. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Haha it only takes pre-Algebra to calculate. Just draw a triangle from where Flacco was when he threw the ball, to where Jacoby was when he caught the ball, and then draw a straight line back to where Flacco was when he threw it, and then finish connecting the dot. Then just do the Pythagorean theorem.

But it will be hard because it's hard to determine how many yards the ball sailed to the right.

EDIT: Oh, you mean including height and stuff. Oops.
    I estimated the distance to the right as the distance from the hash to the sideline (the ball was thrown from and caught within a yard of two of each). Knowing that the has marks are 18.5 feet apart and the width of the field is just over 53 yards (2x+18.5=160), I estimated the short leg of the right triangle to be 24 yards. That's what gave me the 59 yards total.
    Long days and pleasant nights.