Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Perriman, Metcalfe, Terry

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Nick Boyle is a blocking TE. I'm not sure how that fits your analysis. He's not a pass catching TE / big receiver, but a not so tall, but heavy, TE who has a nice set of height and weight for blocking. He's getting paid a decent amount of money, more than you would think many other teams would pay, because the Ravens value his abilities at blocking. I'd think that a TE who was big like Tony Poljan or a bigger one like TE/OL Spencer Brown or Drew Himmelman might meet the need for big red zone threat and would help with blocking. It seems to me that you're killing many birds with one stone if you have a swing OT who has the TE background, who was converted to OT in college, who can be a legit OT blocking from the TE spot and is big and can catch short TD passes in the end zone. Catching short TD passes in the end zone was a difficulty in the playoffs.
    Nick Boyle isn't just a blocking tight end.The guy is probably the best blocking tight end in the league and gives Roman the flex ability he needs in the run game. Nick Boyle also was a Raven way before Greg Roman was apart of the coaching staff but his blocking skills are undeniable. He has some receiving ability even though that's not his best ability. Adding just a big tight end that's not versatile like a Hayden Hurst doesn't make any sense. It not only makes your tight end group slower but it also doesn't keep opposing defenses honest in the passing game. Mark Andrew contract is up after the 2021 season and no one knows how that situation going to go regarding if he will be re-signed or not.

The Ravens should be looking for a tight end that's similar to Hayden Hurst or could atleast play a similar role. Just having a big tight end for goal line purposes doesn't add any versatility to The Ravens tight end group. They need a tight end that can block, get some yards after the catch , can play H back from time to time, and etc. That's what Hayden Hurst did for The Ravens in 2019.There's a reason why The Ravens were interested in trading for a tight end like Irv Smith from the Vikings. It's because Roman likes tight ends with some speed. It's been that way for years throughout his coaching career. The Ravens aren't going to draft a big tight end just for goal line purposes. The only way I could see that is if they don't have faith in Nick Boyle ability to play next season.

Overall Greg Roman is what he is at this point. He excels when it comes to using tight ends. The Ravens haven't made any hired coaching staff wise to assume some major changes in the passing game. So it doesn't make sense to not add some versatility to The Ravens tight end group and adding a big tight end isnt it especially if that tight end just brings size and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    If teams are "clogging the middle" they sure aren't stopping our running game.
    I know. In all 4 playoff games defenses have done similar things and it has slowed the Ravens offense down every time to an average of 13 points. I don't know why opponents aren't doing it every week. Maybe it's too much effort for a regular season game, or it takes them out of their usual rhythm? Whatever the reason, I think we've got to expect to see it in the regular season sooner or later, at least from divisional opponents and in big games.

While the Hurst trade was a good one, we ended up with Dobbins, the Ravens did miss his pass catching ability. Yes better outside WRs would be great, but we're already bitching that LJ8 doesn't seem comfortable throwing outside. BTW, a 2nd TE who can not only catch, but can block too, seems would help our run game and take some pressure off Andrews as well... Bc
    I'm not saying another TE wouldn't be nice. I was saying I wouldn't prioritize a depth piece, like a 3rd TE on a team that already has 2 good ones, over a starting role like a better X receiver. Especially not when that's exactly the position that will best help the Ravens to overcome the defensive plan that stops them every time they see it.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    It's mostly mental game that separates guys like Perriman from Metcalf. Football IQ, aggression, competitive fire, and last but not least confidence.
    Perriman isn't a confident guy. I would describe him as humble, quiet, timid, unsure of himself and unsure if he has what it takes
    Boykin suffers from the same lack of confidence and lack of aggression.
    I think it's a mistake to equate Perriman & Boykin's mental states. I guess your point is they each don't have "it", that alpha-whatever, so from a yes-no perspective they would both be "no". But

From a distance it seemed like Perriman was crippled with self-doubt or anxiety. The very definition of "fighting himself" on the field. My joke at the time was that he didn't need coaching, he needed a prescription for Zoloft.
    (Because joking about mental illness is always so funny.)
    It got to the point where everything was going wrong for him; and he was tipping the ball to defenders for INTs.

Boykin is the opposite. He's found a role that lets him contribute. It's a weird as shit role: a position that I never would have thought even existed in the NFL, a "blocking WR". Only in Greg Roman's scheme. But nevertheless, he's made a spot for himself. He's started 24 games in his first two seasons, for the offense that's scored the most points in the NFL over that span. He had 13 starts this past year; after Lamar and the OL, he was third on the team in (offensive) snaps, behind Andrews & Marquise.

We also don't see him fighting the ball like Perriman did. Boykin makes the catches that are there. He doesn't create plays or mismatches for himself, like a "true #1" might. But he catches the balls that come to him, like a solid #2. He has the best yards-per-target on the team over the past two seasons – after Gus, insanely enough; but ahead of all the other WRs and TEs.

Boykin doesn't have impressive volume stats, but he isn't actively hurting the team when he's out there. That's night & day from Perriman.

I also think it's a huge mistake to do what I just did, psycho-analyze these guys that I've never met. I HATE drawing conclusions about a player's mental makeup – don't think it's fair or accurate. We don't have access and don't really know anything at all.

I couldn't really help it with Perriman – poor guy made himself such a punchline here – and obviously when you see something like Derek Mason making catches with a busted shoulder, or Joe Flacco hurrying downfield on his torn ACL to get the next play snapped, you know you're looking at a HARD motherfucker. But in general I think it makes sense to focus on plays made or note made, rather than speculate about what's going on inside a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I think it's a mistake to equate Perriman & Boykin's mental states. I guess your point is they each don't have "it", that alpha-whatever, so from a yes-no perspective they would both be "no". But

From a distance it seemed like Perriman was crippled with self-doubt or anxiety. The very definition of "fighting himself" on the field. My joke at the time was that he didn't need coaching, he needed a prescription for Zoloft.
    (Because joking about mental illness is always so funny.)
    It got to the point where everything was going wrong for him; and he was tipping the ball to defenders for INTs.

Boykin is the opposite. He's found a role that lets him contribute. It's a weird as shit role: a position that I never would have thought even existed in the NFL, a "blocking WR". Only in Greg Roman's scheme. But nevertheless, he's made a spot for himself. He's started 24 games in his first two seasons, for the offense that's scored the most points in the NFL over that span. He had 13 starts this past year; after Lamar and the OL, he was third on the team in (offensive) snaps, behind Andrews & Marquise.

We also don't see him fighting the ball like Perriman did. Boykin makes the catches that are there. He doesn't create plays or mismatches for himself, like a "true #1" might. But he catches the balls that come to him, like a solid #2. He has the best yards-per-target on the team over the past two seasons – after Gus, insanely enough; but ahead of all the other WRs and TEs.

Boykin doesn't have impressive volume stats, but he isn't actively hurting the team when he's out there. That's night & day from Perriman.

I also think it's a huge mistake to do what I just did, psycho-analyze these guys that I've never met. I HATE drawing conclusions about a player's mental makeup – don't think it's fair or accurate. We don't have access and don't really know anything at all.

I couldn't really help it with Perriman – poor guy made himself such a punchline here – and obviously when you see something like Derek Mason making catches with a busted shoulder, or Joe Flacco hurrying downfield on his torn ACL to get the next play snapped, you know you're looking at a HARD motherfucker. But in general I think it makes sense to focus on plays made or note made, rather than speculate about what's going on inside a guy.
    Feel like Perriman needed Keith Williams on staff, the way he's talking about coaching the mentality of a receiver.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

5. Re: Perriman, Metcalfe, Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Nick Boyle isn't just a blocking tight end.The guy is probably the best blocking tight end in the league and gives Roman the flex ability he needs in the run game. Nick Boyle also was a Raven way before Greg Roman was apart of the coaching staff but his blocking skills are undeniable. He has some receiving ability even though that's not his best ability. Adding just a big tight end that's not versatile like a Hayden Hurst doesn't make any sense. It not only makes your tight end group slower but it also doesn't keep opposing defenses honest in the passing game. Mark Andrew contract is up after the 2021 season and no one knows how that situation going to go regarding if he will be re-signed or not.

The Ravens should be looking for a tight end that's similar to Hayden Hurst or could atleast play a similar role. Just having a big tight end for goal line purposes doesn't add any versatility to The Ravens tight end group. They need a tight end that can block, get some yards after the catch , can play H back from time to time, and etc. That's what Hayden Hurst did for The Ravens in 2019.There's a reason why The Ravens were interested in trading for a tight end like Irv Smith from the Vikings. It's because Roman likes tight ends with some speed. It's been that way for years throughout his coaching career. The Ravens aren't going to draft a big tight end just for goal line purposes. The only way I could see that is if they don't have faith in Nick Boyle ability to play next season.

Overall Greg Roman is what he is at this point. He excels when it comes to using tight ends. The Ravens haven't made any hired coaching staff wise to assume some major changes in the passing game. So it doesn't make sense to not add some versatility to The Ravens tight end group and adding a big tight end isnt it especially if that tight end just brings size and nothing else.
    OK. I do agree that the TE group could use another player. My favorite is Brevin Jordan since Pitts will be long gone. I actually that Jordan is a better blocker and has some similar athletic traits.

Blog Entries

how does the board feel about Bateman?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

Love him. The X receiver we need. Would take him at 27 if he's still there.

8. Re: Perriman, Metcalfe, Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

I like him, but he's not the 4.39 that he tested at Exos. At least his tape doesn't show that. I have Terrace Marshall a little higher than Bateman, but I like Bateman a lot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    I have Terrace Marshall a little higher than Bateman, but I like Bateman a lot.
    Mel Kiper agrees with you :

"Kiper's latest projection has LSU wide receiver Terrace Marshall Jr. coming to Baltimore with pick No. 27 overall. But the ESPN draft analyst believes the Ravens could also wait to find wide receiver help because the talent at the position is so deep.

"There's a lot of good receivers in this draft, all the way around," Kiper said Monday during a conference call. "I like the wide receiver position a lot. It's the strongest position, overall, in this draft."

"Rashod Bateman, Minnesota

Bateman is a big-bodied (6-foot-2, 210 pounds) wideout who consistently wins contested catches. He's had big-time production over his career, including 1,219 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns as a sophomore. NFL Network's Bucky Brooks said Bateman reminds him of Michael Thomas or A.J. Brown, yet Bateman is often projected as a late-first or early-second-round pick."

... Bc

Is he better than ty Johnson 😃

But the ESPN draft analyst believes the Ravens could also wait to find wide receiver help because the talent at the position is so deep.

"There's a lot of good receivers in this draft, all the way around," Kiper said Monday during a conference call. "I like the wide receiver position a lot. It's the strongest position, overall, in this draft."
    That usually means the Ravens would wait until like the 3rd round. Spend picks in the first two rounds on other positions.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    That usually means the Ravens would wait until like the 3rd round. Spend picks in the first two rounds on other positions.
    Did you mean this guy? (Ty Wallace)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn6ohP_YD3o