Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QB Runs

QB Runs

Two things I thought we'd want to keep track of this season, were the run/pass balance under Roman, and the rushes by the QB. Started a thread Sunday evening for the first. Here's the second.

Game 1
    When Who What Scramble? Option? Kneel? Hit? Official?
    Q1 5:12 Lamar QB Power right Maybe (fake to Hill) Yes
    Q2 14:54 Lamar Up middle Yes (triple w RPO) Yes
    Q2 10:38 Lamar Up mid-right Yes Yes Reg as sack
    Q2 0:13 Lamar Victory Yes
    Q3 9:11 Lamar Run left Yes (Ingram middle) Yes No-Holding (Stanley)
    Q4 11:26 RG3 Run right Yes
    Q4 1:55 RG3 Run right Maybe (fake Hill) No-slide
    Q4 1:06 RG3 Up middle Maybe (fake Gus) Yes
    Q4 0:21 RG3 Victory Yes

So: this is an attempt to track and "categorize" the QB runs. We talked offseason about "Well most of Lamar's runs were designed" or whatever. I'd like to see if we can put some data around that.

One of these snaps was wiped out by penalty.
    EDIT: No it wasn't. See OrgChaos reply below. Updated the table.
    EDIT2: Oh wait, yes there was one wiped out by penalty. See later in thread. Table updated again.

It's tough for me as a layman, to know whether a play is really an option or just a fake handoff. There's a lot of "maybes" in the option column above. That's probably the best I will ever be able to do. I think some of those should be "no"; and certainly some should be yes.

BTW, I seem to be the only person who thinks that run at Q2 10:30 was a scramble. Well: I do.
    Last edited by JimZipCode; 09-11-2019 at 12:21 AM.

2. Re: QB Runs

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Two things I thought we'd want to keep track of this season, were the run/pass balance under Roman, and the rushes by the QB. Started a thread Sunday evening for the first. Here's the second.

So: this is an attempt to track and "categorize" the QB runs. We talked offseason about "Well most of Lamar's runs were designed" or whatever. I'd like to see if we can put some data around that.

One of these snaps was wiped out by penalty. But the hit wasn't; nor the decision to put the QB at whatever level of risk a rush attempt is. So I'm tracking it.

It's tough for me as a layman, to know whether a play is really an option or just a fake handoff. There's a lot of "maybes" in the option column above. That's probably the best I will ever be able to do. I think some of those should be "no"; and certainly some should be yes.

BTW, I seem to be the only person who thinks that run at Q2 10:30 was a scramble. Well: I do.
    Looks good, Jim! A couple of things:
    • That Lamar run was not wiped out by penalty. He got the 4 rushing yards, and the defensive hold was added on to the end of the run
    • I don't believe the NFL will ever consider a play that ends behind the LoS a scramble. The official play by play calls that a sack.

I can't help with knowing whether a handoff is an option or a fake (I'm in the same boat!), but would you find it helpful if I provided the quarter, time, who, scramble, and kneel immediately post-game (well, Sunday night at least)? I would have some trouble with plays that actually are wiped out by penalty, but I can capture all the others pretty simply.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Re: QB Runs

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    ...but would you find it helpful if I provided the quarter, time, who, scramble, and kneel immediately post-game (well, Sunday night at least)? I would have some trouble with plays that actually are wiped out by penalty, but I can capture all the others pretty simply.
    Of course! Yeah, that'd be great.

And we can figure out what we think about borderline plays / judgement calls.

• I don't believe the NFL will ever consider a play that ends behind the LoS a scramble. The official play by play calls that a sack.
    Ah HA! That explains why the number of runs I "saw" did not match up with the box score. I had assumed that the other was negated.

Ok, I'll edit the table. Thanks!

5. Re: QB Runs

Of course! Yeah, that'd be great.

And we can figure out what we think about borderline plays / judgement calls.
    Sounds good. I'll put something together for you Sunday night.

That sack/scramble play is weird. Something is obviously wrong because Lamar fakes to air (Ingram goes the other direction). Then, Yanda nearly decleats Lamar as 8 is trying to escape. Just incredibly odd.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

6. Re: QB Runs

Ah! We both missed one! Lamar has a carry nullified by a hold on Stanley at (Q3, 9:10).

Blog Entries

I liked Lamar Jackson only having four carries. That needs to continue and it does not need to increase of the passing offense hits a rough patch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I liked Lamar Jackson only having four carries. That needs to continue and it does not need to increase of the passing offense hits a rough patch.
    i liked it too.

Ah! We both missed one! Lamar has a carry nullified by a hold on Stanley at (Q3, 9:10).
    Great catch! (How TF did we miss it??)

Table updated in OP.

So: this is useful. The rushing "load" on Lamar is greater than recorded in the "attempts" stat. It's nice to have an idea how much.

That sack/scramble play is weird. Something is obviously wrong because Lamar fakes to air (Ingram goes the other direction). Then, Yanda nearly decleats Lamar as 8 is trying to escape. Just incredibly odd.
    Filmstudy mentions it in his O-line breakdown.

Broken play, I guess. With both Ingram and Yanda doing something different, I'm gonna suggest that Lamar might have been on the wrong page of the playbook, that snap.

Well. It's not a game of perfection.

11. Re: QB Runs

Great catch! (How TF did we miss it??)

Table updated in OP.

So: this is useful. The rushing "load" on Lamar is greater than recorded in the "attempts" stat. It's nice to have an idea how much.
    Well, I'm going to miss those pretty consistently unless I change something (I look for official stats). I can make coding adjustments to look for that sort of play, but it would be slightly annoying. A better solution is probably exactly what happened here: watch the film, keep an eye out for nullified Lamar carries, add them in accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Hard disagree
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."