Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. NFL Best Coaches 2021

Source: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfls-best-c...173909981.html (I did the top eight but more are listed) sorry if this has been posted recently

1. Bill Belichick, Patriots
    Career Record: 280-136 (.673)
    With The Patriots Since: 2000
    Last Year’s Ranking: 1

Reasoning: Bill Belichick is a black box. For as expansive as he can be on matters of NFL history or special teams strategy, he won’t provide a window into the thought process that allowed Tom Brady to depart in free agency. Was 2020’s 7-9 record — the Patriots’ first losing season since 2000 — considered a painful necessity all along? Or was it a rare piece of humble pie for a genius who thought he could immediately put his co-icon behind him? Whatever it was, it was in keeping with one of Belichick’s most famous practices: It’s better to be one year too early instead of one year too late. In this case, Belichick’s too early was someone else’s Super Bowl championship. Probably not the result he expected, but it was the process he was always going to follow. Belichick was wrong, as he often is. His gift remains being the least wrong in a business where mistakes are a part of daily life.

2. Andy Reid, Chiefs
    Career Record: 221-130-1 (.629)
    With The Chiefs Since: 2013
    Last Year’s Ranking: 2

Reasoning: Andy Reid has nothing left to prove. Andy Reid has everything left to prove. That’s life in the NFL. Can Reid fix an offensive line that had Patrick Mahomes running for his life in the Super Bowl? Can he find a third weapon behind Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce? Will his defense show up for all 17 games? Is Clyde Edwards-Helaire going to evolve into more than just a Sproles-ian third-down back? Reid creates some of his biggest headaches in the front office. Reid may not technically be the general manager, but ask John Dorsey about the separation of Reid’s church and state. Brett Veach’s seat was drawing some Dorsey heat before a solid offseason, one that indeed remade Mahomes’ shaky line. That third weapon never materialized, leaving Reid without a back-up plan if either of his top two options goes down. These are, of course, the ultimate first-world football problems. There is no other kind when you have won five straight divisions and two straight conference titles. Reid found Mahomes. Now it is Super Bowl or bust until either the coach or quarterback hangs them up. That’s a lot of pressure. It’s also only there if you are one of the greatest of all time

3. Sean Payton, Saints
    Career Record: 143-81 (.638)
    With The Saints Since: 2006
    Last Year’s Ranking: 3

Reasoning: Sean Payton found his second wind after three years in the 7-9 wilderness, averaging 12 victories over the past four seasons. The problem is, he only tacked on three in the playoffs, and zero in the month of February. Now Drew Brees is working for NBC and Payton’s hunt begins anew. He has yet to tackle the central dilemma of his brave new world: Will it be dual-threat Taysom Hill or interception-threat Jameis Winston under center? It could be both, with Payton blazing another new trail after standing at the vanguard of the modern era’s “completions at all costs” passing revolution. Expanding Hill’s red zone role while letting Winston handle the business between the 20s would not be reinventing the quarterbacking wheel — flip on some college football this fall — but it would be a sensible zag as the rest of the league zigs ever further down the efficiency rabbit hole. Payton has always had the answers. He’s also never had a question this big. It could take him a few seasons to answer it. A coach who has won 11-plus games eight times in the past 12 years has earned that right

4. John Harbaugh, Ravens
    Career Record: 129-79 (.620)
    With The Ravens Since: 2008
    Last Year’s Ranking: 4

Reasoning: On December 3, the Ravens were 6-5 with 18 of their players on the COVID-19 list. 31 days later, they were 11-5 and back in the postseason for the third straight year. It was a flurry of a finish to an otherwise grind-it-out season. It’s not surprising that 2020 was something of a hangover campaign after an historically-good 2019 ended in devastating playoff defeat. The same is true of Harbaugh immediately steering the ship back to the postseason. The Ravens have played January ball 9-of-13 years on Harbaugh’s watch, winning at least one game seven times. As is the case with any long-term head coach, it is easy to point to seasons where there should have been more. The disappointment comes part and parcel with the triumph. You only get to lose big games when you are consistently playing in them. That is the case year in and year out for Harbaugh, who has mastered the CEO role like few others. In a league with 32 teams, Harbaugh may never win another Super Bowl. He will also never stop putting his team in position to reach them.

5. Sean McVay, Rams
    Career Record: 43-21 (.672)
    With The Rams Since: 2017
    Last Year’s Ranking: 7

Reasoning: Sean McVay wasn’t doing things his way. That might be hard to believe for a coach who seemed to arrive fully formed in 2017, but McVay was not happy with his defense as the 2019 season wound down. NFL lifer Wade Phillips had bought McVay valuable time on his non-dominant side of the ball, but he now wanted more. Specifically, his “own Sean McVay,” someone who likes to break and rebuild schemes as much as he does. Enter Broncos OLBs coach Brandon Staley, an assistant precisely no one else had heard of. McVay doesn’t miss small details like the non-traditional linebackers coach doing interesting things for Vic Fangio’s staff. A college quarterback, Staley views defense through a completely different lens. It was a match made in heaven with McVay, taking the Rams from a solid unit to one that allowed the fewest yards in the league. It was a necessary development as McVay lost some of his magic — and patience — with Jared Goff on offense. Naturally, Staley was instantly hired away, but his brief Rams sojourn was emblematic of everything McVay stands for. Perfection is the daily goal. Complacency will not be tolerated. That might not be a great way to live your daily life. It’s the only way to win Super Bowls.

6. Sean McDermott, Bills
    Career Record: 38-26 (.594)
    With The Bills Since: 2017
    Last Year’s Ranking: 11

The best defensive hire of the past decade, Sean McDermott has handled his side of the ball while championing aggressive solutions on offense. That is in terms of both personnel — two trade ups for Josh Allen — and approach. When the run wasn’t working in 2020, McDermott simply abandoned it. The end result was the Bills’ first appearance in the AFC Championship Game since the first Clinton Administration. McDermott’s 23 wins over the past two seasons are the most for any two-year Bills span since 1992-93. Oh, and yeah, that division title? The first since Bill Belichick arrived in New England. McDermott is “no nonsense” without the nonsense. He’s not going to run just for the sake of it. He won’t quarantine his quarterback to the pocket. He wants to win, and understands how to do so in the year 2021. With defensive brains to match his offensive firepower, McDermott has opened the championship window he worked tirelessly to build.

7. Mike Tomlin, Steelers
    Career Record: 145-78-1 (.650)
    With The Steelers Since: 2007
    Last Year’s Ranking: 6

“But Ben Roethlisberger” has lost some of its luster as an anti-Mike Tomlin argument. Tomlin’s quarterback-less 8-8 2019 campaign was one of the most impressive feats of his now 14-year career. Big Ben was back for 2020, but in name only as his arm completed its noodlefication following 2019 elbow surgery. If you think that is just an uninformed blogger’s opinion, ask the Steelers, who required their 17-year franchise player to take a pay cut to return for 2021. The Steelers know Tomlin can lead a football team, even if he’s not always sure when to challenge or call a timeout. That was again vividly demonstrated in the Steelers’ dismal Wild Card defeat to end 2020-21. Sunday Tomlin too often undermines Monday-Saturday Tomlin. The trade off has nevertheless been worth it for a franchise with only three head coaches since 1969, and zero losing seasons on Tomlin’s watch. Tomlin isn’t perfect. As 2020 Bill Belichick proved, no coach is.

8. Pete Carroll, Seahawks
    Career Record: 145-94-1 (.606)
    With The Seahawks Since: 2010
    Last Year’s Ranking: 9

The more he wins, the less popular Pete Carroll seems to become. The Seahawks’ victory totals have increased to 10, 11 and 12 after a nine-win 2017, the low-water mark of the Russell Wilson era. The recent triumphs have been accompanied by just one division title and postseason victory, but the raw data still tells the story of an elite coach. Carroll actually tried to please his most ardent critics in the first half of 2020, leading the league in neutral pass rate through the season’s first nine weeks. Then he lost his nerve amidst a barrage of Wilson interceptions and the Seahawks never discovered a new identity. They limped into the playoffs on the back of a series of unconvincing victories before being summarily dismissed by the quarterback-less Rams. The offensive implosion was enough for even Carroll to move on from OC Brian Schottenheimer. It was the innovative Rams he looked to for Schotty’s replacement. Shane Waldron arrives as Carroll’s most intriguing hire in some time, but the ol’ ball coach will have to let the young buck do things his way for the move to actually pay off. Understandably, that has been hard for someone as successful as Carroll to do. Overrated by himself and underrated by the public, Carroll has coached long enough to become the villain. He could still win another Super Bowl if he picks the right spots to stay out of his own way in January.

Re: NFL Best Coaches 2021

Oh boy you've done it now. The Harbaugh haters are going to go cicada on you. Think Tomlin and Carroll probably need to be bumped up a spot or two
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Oh boy you've done it now. The Harbaugh haters are going to go cicada on you. Think Tomlin and Carroll probably need to be bumped up a spot or two
    They can't hate all they want, it's not gonna change the truth. Harbs is one of the top coaches in the NFL. He's been coaching the Ravens for 13 seasons and I can't remember there being too many games where they've had nothing to play for.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

4. Re: NFL Best Coaches 2021

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    How they going to hate on me? I didn’t write the article lol. They should just save the effort

Blog Entries

PFF did a head coach rating this week also - Harbaugh #2

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking...es-2021-season

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Best coach in the league

You really want to get the Harbecklers upset, read the bolded part below from the PFF article:

"2. JOHN HARBAUGH, BALTIMORE RAVENS
    Harbaugh is the second-most tenured coach in the NFL, and he will forever have a place in lists like these after getting a team quarterbacked by Joe Flacco across the finish line in 2012. What is most impressive about Harbaugh is how much he’s adapted to the needs of the NFL circa 2021.

Whether it’s by building defenses from back to front, adapting his team to suit the needs of a once-in-a-generation talent at the quarterback position or listening to the math on fourth-down decision-making (he went for it 64% of the time when he should have in 2020, among the league’s highest rates), Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in the league currently and has a Hall of Fame case to make.
    "

IMHO, Harbs is a top 6 coach in this league. It varies from year to year and opinions differ on where he stands among the top 6, but I think that is where he comfortably resides. Which is why I always ask the folks that want him gone - who are you going to replace him with? No team in the NFL with a top 12 coach is letting them out the door, so at best you are hoping to get lucky with a college coach or the "flavor of the month" hottest OC. Not worth the risk in my opinion. I just wish he had a personality more akin to Billick since that was more fun for me as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    You really want to get the Harbecklers upset, read the bolded part below from the PFF article:

"2. JOHN HARBAUGH, BALTIMORE RAVENS
    Harbaugh is the second-most tenured coach in the NFL, and he will forever have a place in lists like these after getting a team quarterbacked by Joe Flacco across the finish line in 2012. What is most impressive about Harbaugh is how much he’s adapted to the needs of the NFL circa 2021.

Whether it’s by building defenses from back to front, adapting his team to suit the needs of a once-in-a-generation talent at the quarterback position or listening to the math on fourth-down decision-making (he went for it 64% of the time when he should have in 2020, among the league’s highest rates), Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in the league currently and has a Hall of Fame case to make.
    "

IMHO, Harbs is a top 6 coach in this league. It varies from year to year and opinions differ on where he stands among the top 6, but I think that is where he comfortably resides. Which is why I always ask the folks that want him gone - who are you going to replace him with? No team in the NFL with a top 12 coach is letting them out the door, so at best you are hoping to get lucky with a college coach or the "flavor of the month" hottest OC. Not worth the risk in my opinion. I just wish he had a personality more akin to Billick since that was more fun for me as a fan.
    Nice…a dig on Flacco. Yawn. Especially from 2012. I don’t read PFF, and based on that snide remark, I’m glad I don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mdduckman View Post
    Nice…a dig on Flacco. Yawn. Especially from 2012. I don’t read PFF, and based on that snide remark, I’m glad I don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    If you're making a dig at Flacco, 2012 isn't the example you should be using.

Blog Entries

Lamar is gonna carry him to another SB.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Lamar is gonna carry him to another SB.
    Please God

Yawn. You know what they say about opinions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk