Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Dennis Pitta ROH?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I really liked Pitta and he helped us win a ring, but I mean so did Paul Kruger....

Okay that's a big of an exageration, but you know what I mean. The ROH shoudl be for guys with careers of excellence. Pitta had a couple solid years, but really was never that special.

No from me.
    Actually, that's really not much of an exaggeration.

Pitta played 66 games in purple; Kruger played 51.

Through 2015, Kruger had one good year (5.5 sacks) and one dominant one (9 sacks.) The dominant one happened to be the Super Bowl year. Pitta also had one good year (405 yards, 3 TDs) and one dominant one (669 yards, 7 TDs) and that dominant one was also the Super Bowl year.

The only real difference is last year. Pitta had his best statistical year, but it has been much-discussed how misleading those statistics are. And of course there is The Story, and the fact that he is a career Raven.

But value-to-franchise wise, I'd say the Pitta/Kruger comparison is pretty dead-on.
    Last edited by HotInHere; 06-20-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Dennis Pitta ROH?

Billick should be up there, not Pitta.

Blog Entries

Is 669/7 really "dominant"? He wasn't even top-10 for TEs that year.

Honestly, this thread makes me realize how overrated Pitta was by this fanbase, myself included.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Why don't the Ravens just have a spot for "2000 Defense" ... Bc
    Now that's interesting. I'd be in favor of that move

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post

Honestly, this thread makes me realize how overrated Pitta was by this fanbase, myself included.
    Huh? Consensus seems to be that he shouldn't be in?
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Huh? Consensus seems to be that he shouldn't be in?
    I mean in general. Not saying people are saying he should go in the ROH, just that, when looking at the numbers, the perception of Pitta as a player was always much higher than how he actually performed on the field. I didn't realize that until this thread is what I'm saying. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...616-story.html

He was a good TE for a few years, but IMHO his selection would be almost purely sentimental.

But then again, Earnest Byner is still up there...

Agreed on sentiment: he was a high character guy who kept Joe calm, had a helluva hard luck injury story which he faced w/ courage & grace, IMHO got robbed for NFL/AFC comeback player of 2016, but ROH? ...nah

The Byner thing is a dawg pound bone tossed by Art Modell for his Cleveland career. A colorfully perplexing reminder of the Raven's prehistory that will make Ravens fans scratch their heads for years to come. Move on, nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Why don't the Ravens just have a spot for "2000 Defense" ... Bc
    yeah, I was thinking that. Somebody needs to accidentally paint over Earnest Byner. It bugs me when I go to games.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSizzle55 View Post
    yeah, I was thinking that. Somebody needs to accidentally paint over Earnest Byner. It bugs me when I go to games.
    http://rvns.co/7cz

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post

"Dominant" is a stretch, but if you include the post-season, he was pretty effective. Actually, calling Kruger's 9 sacks "dominant" is also a stretch. I should have picked a better word.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Just as Pitta's stats last year don't paint an accurate picture of what it actually was, also that 669/7 looks very middle of the road statistically speaking, when in reality, he was a very good TE that season. He had potential to be a top 5-7 TE a few years ago when they signed him to that big contract. He was great down the seam, had very good to great hands, ran a good route and became a solid if not spectacular blocker. With the injuries,iIt just didn't work out that he lived up to the potential, but he was poised to have a career that would have rivaled Todd Heaps.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Just as Pitta's stats last year don't paint an accurate picture of what it actually was, also that 669/7 looks very middle of the road statistically speaking, when in reality, he was a very good TE that season. He had potential to be a top 5-7 TE a few years ago when they signed him to that big contract. He was great down the seam, had very good to great hands, ran a good route and became a solid if not spectacular blocker. With the injuries,iIt just didn't work out that he lived up to the potential, but he was poised to have a career that would have rivaled Todd Heaps.
    That's a great point. Pitta was not even the starting TE for most of that 2012 season. Dickson started 11 games; Pitta only 5.
    "Chin up, chest out."