Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: I was excited about Deonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    Tim White will break the trend... next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lol that seems to be in line with the trend Qouth. We gotta a good one or one with promise and he ends up on IR lol

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Its funny but I think a lot of those guys would have had better success with different OC's. Reed and Doss I think would have been much much better players in a WCO where their short area burst and route running were strengths, yet we drafted them for an AC offense. Guys like Streeter and Brown (waller too) were likely better fits for the AC, using their height/speed downfield yet, were drafted for a WCO, where none of them really are precise route runners or good with burst, just long speed.

Its always intriguing to me to consider/project how much that plays a role in players success or failure.
    Nah, if that were the case with Reed and Doss, they would have been picked up and at least contributed something for another team out there. They both were mid to late round JAGS.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

3. Re: I was excited about Deonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Its funny but I think a lot of those guys would have had better success with different OC's. Reed and Doss I think would have been much much better players in a WCO where their short area burst and route running were strengths, yet we drafted them for an AC offense. Guys like Streeter and Brown (waller too) were likely better fits for the AC, using their height/speed downfield yet, were drafted for a WCO, where none of them really are precise route runners or good with burst, just long speed.

Its always intriguing to me to consider/project how much that plays a role in players success or failure.
    Reed, & Brown couldn't stay healthy. Doss also got hurt, was soft and didn't work on his game like he needed to. Streeter had bad hands and Waller keeps getting suspended.

All but Waller and Brown (Broncos, on IR) are now out of the league. If they really were better fits in other systems and schemes, then they would still be at least bouncing around the NFL signing futures contracts.

Hypothetical: we passed on Randall Cobb for Torrey Smith. Would Cobb have played at Torrey's level here, and would Torrey be at Cobb's level in GB?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Hypothetical: we passed on Randall Cobb for Torrey Smith. Would Cobb have played at Torrey's level here, and would Torrey be at Cobb's level in GB?
    Look at Cobb two years ago without Nelson - he was pedestrian. I think Cobb would have come to Baltimore and been about the same as Torrey. Torrey would be used similarly to Davante Adams last year, more touchdowns and big-plays, fewer receptions.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Doss was soft, which is always going to make a bad impression on both coaches and teammates. Remember how a few teammates were openly critical of him for not being willing to play through minor ailments? Add in that he had a poor work ethic and was not properly and fully prepared when he was on the field, and that's why he's now out of the league.
    I remember now and Cary Williams calling him out for being soft.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Justin Harper
    Randy Hymes
    Clarence Moore
    Aaron Mellette
    Demetrius Williams...all those guys were hyped at some point in camp.

Then there are guys like Derek Abney who was supposed to be a good kick returner, Devard Darling who never showed anything despite being a look like Tarzan, play like Jane guy. Same with Tommy Streeter. Ron Johnson. Marcus Smith.

Blech...
    I got on a Matt Willis camp bandwagon.
    Some of the board went skyrockets over Eron Riley
    A number were hoping LaQuan Williams would make it
    Wooo Wooo David Reed

Toss Ed Dickson into that group, he was a WR type of TE ... I don't think the scouts have missed with a blocking TE ... Davon Drew had 43 receptions his Sr year at East Carolina, he was supposed to be what we finally got in Pitta.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It has to be the scouting. The Ravens like to keep scouts for a very long time. They need to look for some new scouts for the WR position. What they've been doing for years just isn't working.
    I'm not sure new scouts are the answer. We have really good scouts as shown by the D talent, and the UDFA crew we get in every year, year after year.

I agree what they've been doing for years just wasn't working.
    Scouts were trained/taught, what the team wanted. what to look for, and that was the poor result blind spot. Something changed a couple of years ago. DeCosta never specified what, but talked about changing some things ... working harder ... the usual but his implication was things were now(then) little different in the WR scouting - they at least strongly increased one parameter's value and maybe lowered another. I'd guess height was one they lowered chart valuation on (Harper was 6'3", Demetrius was 6'1", Undrafted Hymes was 6'3", Clarence Moore was 6'6", and Aaron Mellett was 6'3", contrast that with Campanaro 5'10", Tim White 5'10", Keenan 5'10" .... I'm not saying that they don't like height, just saying that I suspect it is one parameter they lowered chart value rating for a WR, and increased something, maybe 3 cone drill? They did adjust what they wanted the scouts to look for and how they draft board slotted them)
    We haven't seen results but that has been injury ... Campaneggo looked great every time he was healthy and DeCosta was delighted we could trade back in to get him.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old