Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

I've met a bunch of Ravens and honestly, they are all down to earth guys. Talked to Matty Stover bunch of times... It's like talking to your friend. See McCrary out a lot... Secrets... Real nice guy. Back in my bar hopping days, I shot the shit with a bunch of the 2000 team. JO, Redman, Femi, BJack, Sharp, Flynn.... Cornell Brown was a really cool guy. Bought me a beer (Fellow Hokie). Haven't interacted with many of the recent team, but like all Ravens, they all seem like good guys. Oz wouldn't have them on the team if they were assholes.

Now the Os are a different story... Raffy was a pompous jerk. Bedard just didn't deserve to make the money he did playing a kid's game by acting like a complete asshole. A few other bad seeds. Cal is a good dude though.. Boy he is competitive (Bball) but pretty down to earth. One guy I thought would be a jerk was Will Clark but he was completely the opposite. Nicest guy in the world. I rehabbed with him and we would talk about sports all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I've met a bunch of Ravens and honestly, they are all down to earth guys. Talked to Matty Stover bunch of times... It's like talking to your friend. See McCrary out a lot... Secrets... Real nice guy. Back in my bar hopping days, I shot the shit with a bunch of the 2000 team. JO, Redman, Femi, BJack, Sharp, Flynn.... Cornell Brown was a really cool guy. Bought me a beer (Fellow Hokie). Haven't interacted with many of the recent team, but like all Ravens, they all seem like good guys. Oz wouldn't have them on the team if they were assholes.

Now the Os are a different story... Raffy was a pompous jerk. Bedard just didn't deserve to make the money he did playing a kid's game by acting like a complete asshole. A few other bad seeds. Cal is a good dude though.. Boy he is competitive (Bball) but pretty down to earth. One guy I thought would be a jerk was Will Clark but he was completely the opposite. Nicest guy in the world. I rehabbed with him and we would talk about sports all the time.
    My Dad was on a cruise a few years back and Will Clark happened to be there as well. He talked to him on and off throughout the cruise, and he said Clark was a really friendly guy. Clark was not a fan of Palmiero either, lol.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

I used to manage the EB Games in Owings Mills mall so I had a lot of player interactions. Met Ngata, Suggs, Adam Terry, Steve McNair, Ovie Mughilli, Billick, Boller, Mason, Clayton, Ja. Lewis, CMac, and a bunch of others.

I'd always give them my card with my cell written on it and tell them if they ever wanted any hard to find game or system to call me and I'd find them one. Got McNair a pair of Wiis back when you couldn't find one to save your life and he thanked me with an autographed helmet with about half the teams' signatures on it.

I also used to play Madden online with a couple of the bottom of the roster guys, and once Sizzle got in on it and I ended up sacking his QB with himself in the game.

These days whenever I run into Ravens I try to just get a handshake and tell them I'm a fan. I don't bother them for autographs and such because I find they're often more willing to actually talk to you if you just treat them like a normal person.

I mentioned in another thread that I ran into Pitta this week and that's exactly how it went down. Bunch of people were pestering him for pictures and autographs and he was clearly not in the mood to deal with the mob so when walked past me I just offered him my hand, wished him a great season and prepared to move on. I guess he was so relieved that I wasn't trying to get something from him that he actually took a minute to chat. Nice guy.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

my Fondest memory growing up was going to my moms work in Westminster and on seldom days about once a month or so a guy would grab me an throw me up in the air (i was less than 5 y/o at the time). For years i never knew who this guy really was, my parents kept going on an on about him, with me not knowing who the heck he was, just kept saying Johnny this, Johnny That. I didn't realize until years later that this was Johnny Unitas. I admired the fact that even with his history he would walk into a place to pay his own heating bill (not send a check) acting he wasn't better than any other person and was willing to spend time with the public. That without a doubt has to be my greatest experience with an NFL player.

Blog Entries

I've had a chance to meet a few NFL players over the years. After the Ravens won SB35, my dad got tickets to the Ed Block courage awards. At the awards banquet, I got to spend about 10 minutes chatting with Tony Siragusa. He was really down to earth and just a funny guy. My dad ended up buying a signed helmet from him too at the silent auction for charity. Also, I got to meet Darrel Green there. He seemed like a really nice guy too.

Then, one of my good friend's relative used to be in charge of the police at the stadium on game days, so I got to go in the tunnel and on the field for warmups. I never really met any of the players out on the field, but I did get to stand in the tunnel pregame and watch all the players come out of the tunnel for intros. It was awesome being like 10 feet from Ray when he did his dance.

Next, I got to meet Flacco and Jason Brown at the Polar Bear Plunge after the AFC Champ loss to the Steelers. Also, recently I met Torrey Smith at a signing.

Every player I've met has been very friendly and willing to shake my hand and talk for a few minutes. I've never had a bad experience.

Blog Entries

I've had a chance to meet a few NFL players over the years. After the Ravens won SB35, my dad got tickets to the Ed Block courage awards. At the awards banquet, I got to spend about 10 minutes chatting with Tony Siragusa. He was really down to earth and just a funny guy. My dad ended up buying a signed helmet from him too at the silent auction for charity. Also, I got to meet Darrel Green there. He seemed like a really nice guy too.

Then, one of my good friend's relative used to be in charge of the police at the stadium on game days, so I got to go in the tunnel and on the field for warmups. I never really met any of the players out on the field, but I did get to stand in the tunnel pregame and watch all the players come out of the tunnel for intros. It was awesome being like 10 feet from Ray when he did his dance.

Next, I got to meet Flacco and Jason Brown at the Polar Bear Plunge after the AFC Champ loss to the Steelers. Also, recently I met Torrey Smith at a signing.

Every player I've met has been very friendly and willing to shake my hand and talk for a few minutes. I've never had a bad experience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Two weeks ago in the BWI "B" Southwest terminal waiting on an early flight. Franco Harris walking by and stops to talk to a Southwest agent. My boss is big Steeler fan and immediately gets excited and goes over hoping for a quick photo op. Instead Franco gets this disgusted look on his face and waves off my boss.

Then Franco proceeded over to Annie Anne's and threw down some pretzel nuggets, all the while waving people off who recognized him.

Total D-bag.
    I met Franco Harris about 15 years ago and he was completely cool with me. I'm not a fawning Steelers fan and wasn't asking anything from him so maybe it was different. People also change over time so maybe he's sick of it. At the time though he was very cool and came off like a regular guy.

Al Davis I met many times. He would anything for his friends. It was sad to see him on TV near the end because Al was every bit of the forceful, innovative legend of his earlier reputation.

I have not met Ray Rice but I know tons of people who have. I work near his hometown of New Rochelle, NY. One of my former co-workers is close with him Mom. Every year Ray Rice holds an event for the kids in the area and the results on the community are tremendous. Rice is praised by everyone and seems like an even better person than football player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darksouleyez View Post
    my Fondest memory growing up was going to my moms work in Westminster and on seldom days about once a month or so a guy would grab me an throw me up in the air (i was less than 5 y/o at the time). For years i never knew who this guy really was, my parents kept going on an on about him, with me not knowing who the heck he was, just kept saying Johnny this, Johnny That. I didn't realize until years later that this was Johnny Unitas. I admired the fact that even with his history he would walk into a place to pay his own heating bill (not send a check) acting he wasn't better than any other person and was willing to spend time with the public. That without a doubt has to be my greatest experience with an NFL player.
    I've heard a lot of stories about people meeting Johnny U and there are all the same as yours. He must really have had a great love of people and kids especially. It reminds me of the stories people used to tell about the Brooklyn Dodgers who would all hang out on their stoops at night and give tips to any kid who was interested. Unitas was a very special person. Thanks for sharing your story. It was great to read.

I ran into Todd Heap at the Baja Fresh in Timonium one time. He was there with his family, so I didn't want to bug him...but he was sitting a couple tables over and I gave him a low, subtle, "HEEEEEEEEEEAP" so that the whole restaurant didn't hear, and he turned and gave this huge smile and we raised our fists at each other in recognition. It was a cool moment.

I never had a bad experience with a player, but Kelly Ripen (Cal's wife) used to come into the frame shop I worked at in College all the time, and she was a total nightmare more often than not. Thankfully I didn't have to deal with her personally very often (I built / fit the frames, didn't sell) but I did have a couple of interactions that were unpleasant, and I overheard her giving the salespeople trouble on more than a few occasions. That was disappointing, because I always thought that she looked nice and classy when I saw her at the ballpark as a kid.

Blog Entries

I met Bisciotti a story I have told here at plenty of times, but major cool.

When I met Ray Lewis, it was at a signing of a portrait I did of him. He held it up examined it for a good 20 seconds and said, "That is awesome man." Artist's like their work appreciated and since I captured him perfect, it was double compliment. What made it even more memorable was when the 'handlers asked me what color I wanted Ray to sign it in, I said, "Let Ray decide. Ray said "Silver." And was perfect, shook my hand, and I went on my way. But even if my buddy bought my the ticket for my birthday, I normally don't go in for such things even if all the dough goes to charity, it was still a very meaningful 2 minutes of an artists life.

Used to see JO all the time when I lived in Vegas. Offseason he played in the same basketball league. Fortunately the few nights my team played him, either he or I were not there. I say fortunately because I was second tallest on my team and would have had to guard him or his college roommate.

Grew up in NJ and the Giants used to do training camp a town over, some lived in my town. My sister taught one of Bellicheck's kids to swim. Each year they'd do a charity basketball game against the Jaycees. Me and my high school buddies didn't have tickets freshman year, ran in to Elvis Patterson in the parking lot. He gave one friend a gym bag, the other a diaper bag, and me his kid in a car seat. Told the guy at the door "They're with me". That was really cool.

Mark Bavaro used to go to our church. He would go to the 8:00 am weekday mass every day, and if you recall he always had a couple days growth of facial hair. After a while two older ladies told the pastor they were praying for him that he would find a job.

Once I got older, we'd hang out at a bar at the hotel on Fairleigh Dickinson's campus and some of the Giants would show up for a little bit. It was a cool bar because they had free pool tables, and good free food for happy hour. LT would show up and was a complete asshole. He'd have them rope off a table just for him. His teammates wouldn't even shoot with him. Most of them were friendly, but kept off to themselves.

The one opportunity I didn't take advantage of, but wish I had was a few years ago Derrick Mason was on a flight with me to Nashville. He had been on ESPN that morning and was still wearing the same clothes. I didn't approach him because he was with his son and it seemed no one recognized him, so I didn't want to be the one to draw attention to him. Figured maybe I'd get a chance around MD some other time. That was before he got cut obviously.

I've seen some players around town but I don't interact with them since they're normally with family or friends. Just bad luck on my part, I guess. Peter Boulware, Jamal Lewis, Todd Heap, and Dan Cody come to mind. If coaches count, Brian Billick and Marvin Lewis too.

Only guy I've caught alone was Jah Reid. It was his rookie season TC and I was the only one who recognized him clearly. Just said "Good luck this year" as I was walking past him.

I saw Joe Flacco in a pizza place around Pikesville once, too. He was getting a ton of attention though so I didn't say anything.