Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: NCAA Responds to Penn. Governor's Lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Just a question. I am not a Paterno fan and haven't followed this to closely but I was wondering, does anyone know exactly what the guy who witnessed the shower incident told Paterno?
    Here you go ....

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jerry-sandu...ry?id=16545142

Blog Entries

Just a question. I am not a Paterno fan and haven't followed this to closely but I was wondering, does anyone know exactly what the guy who witnessed the shower incident told Paterno?
    better question, why wasnt that guy the main focus of "investigation". I feel like McQueary is somehow skipped in this situation and to me his actions were far worse than those above him, who only had speculation and hearsay to go off of. Theres not much that would stop me from giving Sandusky a serious beating let alone call the cops on him at that point, mcqueary did neither, just slammed a locker shut "to let them know to stop".
    -JAB

Kind of. JoPa said, and McQueary later confirmed, McQueary wasn't clear in telling him what he saw, but did say he saw Sandusky in the shower with a boy and it was sexual.

I am not interested in defending JoPa. He had a lapse in judgment and it cost him dearly. The family can quibble about the legal specifics involved with his admission in front of a grand jury, but the bottom line is he volunteered he words "fondling" and "sexual" and was not prompted. My interest in this analysis of the Freeh report is as it relates to the NCAA and its sanctions.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    better question, why wasnt that guy the main focus of "investigation". I feel like McQueary is somehow skipped in this situation and to me his actions were far worse than those above him, who only had speculation and hearsay to go off of. Theres not much that would stop me from giving Sandusky a serious beating let alone call the cops on him at that point, mcqueary did neither.
    IIRC, he cut a deal for his testimony.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    IIRC, he cut a deal for his testimony.
    which is BS imo, thats all. There were mistakes made in hindsight for sure by those above, so im not really concerned with that aspect of the NCAA, which i believe to not be directed at the real culprits, but McQueary should be looked upon much worse than he is. I dont think hes the first guy to come up when they say Penn St scandal or jerry sandusky yet he was the closest to the actual crime otherwise and failed to do anything substantial. He may not be the monster Sandusky is but hes no saint either.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    which is BS imo, thats all. There were mistakes made in hindsight for sure by those above, so im not really concerned with that aspect of the NCAA, which i believe to not be directed at the real culprits, but McQueary should be looked upon much worse than he is. I dont think hes the first guy to come up when they say Penn St scandal or jerry sandusky yet he was the closest to the actual crime otherwise and failed to do anything substantial. He may not be the monster Sandusky is but hes no saint either.
    I don't think anyone is arguing he's a saint. In fact, I think he has said on more than one occasion that he wish he had done more.

Sometimes prosecutors have to cut deals with the lesser of two evils. His testimony was key in putting that psycho pervert in jail.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    OKay, that turned my stomach. If I saw that shit I would have walked in and beat that sick old bastard to death.

But. That doesn't say what he told Paterno he saw. Maybe I am just playing devils advocate a bit but those trying to lay a good portion of the blame at Paterno are misguided. And what I mean is, saying that Paterno should have known and done more is part of the reason the football program got such heavy sanctions.
    Last edited by NCRAVEN; 02-11-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Clarification

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Kind of. JoPa said, and McQueary later confirmed, McQueary wasn't clear in telling him what he saw, but did say he saw Sandusky in the shower with a boy and it was sexual.
    Yeah... that's difficult to have any judgement on anyone other than McQueeary. So I won't

I am not interested in defending JoPa. He had a lapse in judgment and it cost him dearly. The family can quibble about the legal specifics involved with his admission in front of a grand jury, but the bottom line is he volunteered he words "fondling" and "sexual" and was not prompted. My interest in this analysis of the Freeh report is as it relates to the NCAA and its sanctions.
    Agreed. I was just prompted to go down the JoePa route after seeing HR's post.

Maybe I am just playing devils advocate a bit but those trying to lay a good portion of the blame at Paterno are misguided. And what I mean is, saying that Paterno should have known and done more is part of the reason the football program got such heavy sanctions.
    The NCAA's actions are the same thing as giving credence to the "corporations are people" argument.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Paterno not going to the cops IS part of the reason for the NCAA sanctions. The fact he helped cover up a crime committed on PSU's campus, with the help of multiple higher ranking school officials, shows a lack of institutional control.

PSU covered up a crime to protect its football team. There's no denying that. The NCAA handed down punishment because the crime(s):
    A) Involved members of PSU's coaching staff
    B) Occurred in the football team's building
    C) Was covered up to protect the image of the football team

This was not an emotional decision by the NCAA. They could very well have handed PSU the death penalty but didn't.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Paterno not going to the cops IS part of the reason for the NCAA sanctions. The fact he helped cover up a crime committed on PSU's campus, with the help of multiple higher ranking school officials, shows a lack of institutional control.

PSU covered up a crime to protect its football team. There's no denying that. The NCAA handed down punishment because the crime(s):
    A) Involved members of PSU's coaching staff
    B) Occurred in the football team's building
    C) Was covered up to protect the image of the football team

This was not an emotional decision by the NCAA. They could very well have handed PSU the death penalty but didn't.
    PSU didn't cover up anything. PSU isn't a person it is tens of thousands of people. A few individuals had tragic lapses in judgment, how is the logical conclusion from this that the university has a lack of institutional control? Actually, say Jopa and Co. went to authorities right away, how would that be a reflection of not a lack of institutional control?

–Eleanor Roosevelt

PSU didn't cover up anything. PSU isn't a person it is tens of thousands of people. A few individuals had tragic lapses in judgment, how is the logical conclusion from this that the university has a lack of institutional control? Actually, say Jopa and Co. went to authorities right away, how would that be a reflection of not a lack of institutional control?
    Isn't that like saying BP wasn't responsible for the oil spill? After all, BP isn't a person. BP is tens of thousands of people.

And I think you're kidding yourself if you really think there was no cover up. It's all in the emails.