Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Have we officially become a banana republic?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    How is it gouging? LOL. The difference is likely due to things like labor, rent, and other costs being higher in certain areas.

Have you ever eaten at a diner in NYC and then compared its prices to one in central Jersey? Is the NYC diner gouging or charging more because the rent is higher, the employees make more because their rent is higher, food and other supply costs are higher, etc. Not to mention taxes.
    When basically 2 counties in the same state charge $.50 more for gas ...it gouging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Re: Have we officially become a banana republic?

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    When basically 2 counties in the same state charge $.50 more for gas ...it gouging.

Is it possible that the cost of doing business in those counties is higher?

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Gas in PA has been over $3. for over a month now. Gas has always been around .30 more here than MD for years because of the state tax increase. But lately it's only a .15 difference. Did MD increase their gas tax or are they gouging .?
    I have never seen anyplace where gas prices drop as slowly after a price decrease in oil as Maryland.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Generally speaking those are higher tax counties. Not sure if they're much higher than Howard though.

Yes and no. I mean generally the taxes and costs are higher than but not all counties. Like Ort said ..not a lot higher than Howard for instance.

Gas stations don’t make a lot on gas so if they can keep the price up ...why not? It truly is Capitalism at its best. Lol. I believe Bust lives in Mont county. I think they are usually higher on most things anyway. So why not keep gas up also.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Greg ...having read your posts....I seriously doubt you’ve ever changed your political views. Same with most of the conservatives here.

As for myself...yes I’ve changed views. Away from hardline conservatives to way more libertarian views. To me Both sides are too extreme.

First off, your observation has nothing to do with the point that Trump, like others including you and me, can change his political opinions.

I USED to be a conservative, I am a libertarian. Much of conservatism I am not a fan of at all.

One specific change, I was at one point very much for the death penalty but I now oppose it.

So the fact that land is more expensive there has nothing to do with it?

I actually have a family member who has owned a gas station. If you knew ANYTHING about running a gas station nobody is gouging. They make incredibly slim margins on gas, if they make money at all. Mostly they are hoping you will buy other stuff while there. But also, the competition is so intense that unless you happen to own a station that is located quite far away from other stations or are on a very busy road with easy in and out access when your competition does not you can't charge more than a penny or two difference. Even with location advantages 10-15 cents is the most difference you can usually get away with.

If you think somebody is truly gouging pretty soon they will have little business.

Oh, and what may be the most important thing is the blend of gas that can be sold varies from area to area, even within a state. Those counties next to DC likely require a blend that is more expensive to refine because of tighter regulations.

Bringing this back to the OP, Is the United States becoming a Banana Republic, we moved closer in that direction this week with the press conference Merrick Garland held regarding the AZ Audit. If the DOJ tries to insert themselves into State election audits, the foundation of what makes this country a Republic and not a Democracy is under attack.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

10. Re: Have we officially become a banana republic?

Really? I drive over 3000 miles a month from Del to Laurel. I get out plenty. I work with guys from all over the metro BMore area as far away as Pa and Cecil County. No one has said gas was over $3. Anywhere. Hell the highest I’ve seen Diesel is $3.30.

But again. As long as it fits your narrative ...enjoy Orson Wells.

"Despite gas prices being at historic lows this time last year, the average price for a gallon of gas is currently an astounding $3.10. That’s the highest it’s been since 2014, the last time Joe Biden was in the White House,"

Just sayin'.....

"Despite gas prices being at historic lows this time last year, the average price for a gallon of gas is currently an astounding $3.10. That’s the highest it’s been since 2014, the last time Joe Biden was in the White House,"

Just sayin'.....
    On the plus side, I still have the car I bought in 08 when gas for the a4 I had was too expensive.

12. Re: Have we officially become a banana republic?

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    On the plus side, I still have the car I bought in 08 when gas for the a4 I had was too expensive.

I can relate. We still have an '08 car, too. My wife loves it and plans to drive it awhile longer. It still only has about 117,000 miles on it. Every time I bring up trading it in, she shoots down the idea. I tease her about the fact that it came w/a satellite radio in it and she can't do w/out her XM, she won't cut loose. LOL