Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

WR (Hopkins) or TE (Ertz) ---- Who helps our Offense more ?

Would you rather have a true WR or a good TE that would maybe allow us to move Pitta to Q's spot ?

Blog Entries

Re: WR (Hopkins) or TE (Ertz) ---- Who helps our Offense more ?

I think theres more doubts at WR, or atleast unknowns, than TE. Id assume were looking for depth at both, but WR will come earlier and TE will be more likely a blocker late.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

losing Boldin was huge and I know there are guys in the wing but it's still a void. They need to get a big receiver IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

really depends on the long term plans for Dickson/Pitta...Firmly, I hope we can re-sign Pitta...if so, we should put the remainder of our efforts at WR. Joe is a QB that likes to throw deep passes, and while TEs can run deep routes, mostly you are going to rely on them for shorter routes for possession type receptions to extend drives.

If we're unsure about our ability to retain Pitta, then TE may be an option. I think Dickson can still be effective, but I don't think he's Pitta's level as far as being a starter.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think theres more doubts at WR, or atleast unknowns, than TE. Id assume were looking for depth at both, but WR will come earlier and TE will be more likely a blocker late.
    I agree with this generally, or at least for 2013, but don't forget we have no TEs under contract for 2014. None. At least at WR we have Torrey and Doss (both in contract years) with Thompson, Reed, Streeter, and Laquan all under contract as well.

I certainly think the team has a great chance of locking up at least one of Pitta/Dickson (probably the former), but I expect both of them to be big parts of the offense this year and either one or both of them could have a good enough year that they price themselves out of the Ravens' range.

Specifically regarding Hopkins vs. Ertz... clearly Hopkins is a better overall player. It becomes more interesting in the middle rounds with guys like Travis Kelce, Vance McDonald, Gavin Escobar, etc. vs. Aaron Dobson, Markus Wheaton, Da'Rick Rogers, etc... it's a little bit harder to project those guys head to head.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree with this generally, or at least for 2013, but don't forget we have no TEs under contract for 2014. None. At least at WR we have Torrey and Doss (both in contract years) with Thompson, Reed, Streeter, and Laquan all under contract as well.

I certainly think the team has a great chance of locking up at least one of Pitta/Dickson (probably the former), but I expect both of them to be big parts of the offense this year and either one or both of them could have a good enough year that they price themselves out of the Ravens' range.

Specifically regarding Hopkins vs. Ertz... clearly Hopkins is a better overall player. It becomes more interesting in the middle rounds with guys like Travis Kelce, Vance McDonald, Gavin Escobar, etc. vs. Aaron Dobson, Markus Wheaton, Da'Rick Rogers, etc... it's a little bit harder to project those guys head to head.
    Really is dependent upon how their seasons go and id agree I think theyre going to continue to be big parts of the offense. I know they had prelim talks about an extension with Pitta and Oher, but if im Pitta, unless its blowing me away offer, its probably worth the risk of seeing this year out. Im not sure how much future contracts will be brought into the draft room compared to just adding depth, which in turn takes care of players leaving itself.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Well, for starters, Ertz isn't really more of a "complete" TE than Pitta is. So, moving him to a traditional TE position and Pitta to the slot doesn't make much sense to me. Ertz, like Pitta, is a receiving TE. Ertz is about 2 inches taller and faster. I'd like to see them pick up a TE because they have no TE's on the roster for next season and I don't think Dickson warrants a 2nd contract. I think they'll re-sign Pitta though. Getting Ertz would be nice.

However, I think Jordan Reed might be someone to really consider as well. He compares heavily to Aaron Hernandez and would be a wrinkle that this offense lost with Boldin.

I really like DeAndre Hopkins though. I think he'd be an outstanding addition to this offense because he is such a good route runner and does a nice job with the ball in his hands. I don't think he is anything like Boldin though. People see his size (6'1" 215lbs) and lack of deep speed and want to automatically compare him to Boldin as a slot receiver. He's really not a slot receiver. He's much more of an X or Z receiver (wide out/wide receiver) and his strengths are working the sideline. He could play slot, but there are better slot receiver options. Connor Vernon, Markus Wheaton, Ryan Swope, and even Quinton Patton are better slot WR options than Hopkins.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I going to go with whoever will A.) Project to be the better NFL player, by the Ravens front office, and B.) Whoever is a better fit for this offensive system.

They may not want a WR similar in style to Boldin. We don't know exactly what they are looking for. However, Ertz is not much of a blocker. This is a good question.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

BPA would make mean lean towards Hopkins if it came down to these 2.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Yes, I agree. Hopkins is the guy I see all along in the first round who could come right in and help.
    IF not, then you have to look at Arthur Brown if he is still available to put next to McClain.
    Otherwise there is Alonso in the second or even Bostic with his speed.

I do like the explosiveness of Da'Rick Rogers (3rd maybe) and he would be a dangerous tandem with Torrey.
    As far as TEs...there are a few...but in the later rounds we could get Joseph Fauria from UCLA for TE and he is a huge target for Joe.
    Deonte Thompson can play the slot with his speed and elusiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I going to go with whoever will A.) Project to be the better NFL player, by the Ravens front office, and B.) Whoever is a better fit for this offensive system.

They may not want a WR similar in style to Boldin. We don't know exactly what they are looking for. However, Ertz is not much of a blocker. This is a good question.

Thank You --- I just figure we need to give Flacco weapons -- who can step in right away and help us.

I worry a little with Hopkins size but agree that whoever Ozzie has listed higher we should take--- I was looking at it more of a TE vs WR that helps Flacco and our offense

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Is that your take or scouts?