Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: All Things Draft:

Maybe he took a trip to Columbia to talk with Sosa.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think the Ravens will sign somebody to play safety at either spot (hoping for Glover Quinn), then we either take Elam/Cyprien in the first or Swearinger in the second to play SS. Can't see the Ravens going into the season with two rookies starting at both safety positions.
    I like Phillip Thomas out of Fresno State as well.

Jesse Williams ran a 4.84 at 6'4, 326 at Bama's pro day. That's an amazing time for such a big man. I've been a little down on him compared to some, but reports are that he is viewed very favorably by a lot of NFL teams. At this point he is DEFINITELY a candidate for the bottom of the 1st or early 2nd.

I definitely don't see short-area burst to rush the passer from the inside out of him on tape, but you can't teach speed like that. If he can develop pass rush ability in the NFL he could be truly great in the NFL.

Still think the Ravens would be better served to go with a FS, ILB, or WR in the 1st, but Williams could be much higher on Ozzie's board than mine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Jesse Williams ran a 4.84 at 6'4, 326 at Bama's pro day. That's an amazing time for such a big man. I've been a little down on him compared to some, but reports are that he is viewed very favorably by a lot of NFL teams. At this point he is DEFINITELY a candidate for the bottom of the 1st or early 2nd.

I definitely don't see short-area burst to rush the passer from the inside out of him on tape, but you can't teach speed like that. If he can develop pass rush ability in the NFL he could be truly great in the NFL.

Still think the Ravens would be better served to go with a FS, ILB, or WR in the 1st, but Williams could be much higher on Ozzie's board than mine.
    That's just crazy.

I think he could be the best pure 3-4 nose tackle in the NFL eventually. Almost every time someone tried to run the ball on Bama, Williams was holding off two interior blockers and letting his mates (Note Australian verbage) stuff the run, or he'd make the tackle him self. The pass rush stuff is a concern, but you don't draft him so HE can get sacks, he allows others around him to do that, he's a nose shade/nose tackle that can collapse the pocket and disrupt the QB up the middle, and he almost never gets pushed back, he's the complete opposite of Terrence Cody.

A 3 man front of Ngata-Williams-Canty would be sick, and would just be purely from a physical stand point, very hard to stop.

With that said, I'd rather fill our more pressing needs like ILB, S, and LT as you said.

Tyrann Mathieu speaks frankly about his history with marijuana:

“All the things I put before football in the past, it’s not fun anymore — marijuana and everything you put before football is obsolete now,” Mathieu said.

After describing quitting marijuana as “a big struggle,” Mathieu said he had been getting high since a family member first gave marijuana to him at the age of 12 or 13.

Mathieu said the biggest question he heard from NFL coaches at the Scouting Combine was why he got kicked out of LSU. Mathieu added that every team already knows exactly what he did, but that he knows they wanted to see how forthright he would be.

“It probably was, ‘Why did you get kicked out of school?’ which I think they already knew but I think they want to hear you say it,” Mathieu said.

Asked what answer he gave to that question, Mathieu said, “Marijuana.”

“It’s smoking marijuana and then it’s all the things you kind of surround yourself around,” Mathieu said. “The marijuana was the issue but it was the social things, too, that I had to get in line.”
    Full story: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-fun-anymore/

This is pretty much exactly what I would want to hear from Mathieu if I were an NFL evaluator. He seems to be doing a GREAT job of showing his rehabilitation and commitment. If the behind-the-scenes stuff matches this he's going to get drafted and possibly as early as the 2nd or 3rd. I said I wouldn't bet against him, and I'm happy for him.

Blog Entries

LOL it just occurred to me that Williams ran almost as fast as Te'o did.

Noticed an interesting thing in a mock draft I was reading. They had us taking Elam in the 1st and then Josh Evans in the 5th. Would be interesting to have them playing together in the pros, already have the chemistry and they compliment eachother pretty nicely. What do people think? (not advocating for it, just curious)
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    Noticed an interesting thing in a mock draft I was reading. They had us taking Elam in the 1st and then Josh Evans in the 5th. Would be interesting to have them playing together in the pros, already have the chemistry and they compliment eachother pretty nicely. What do people think? (not advocating for it, just curious)
    Definitely an interesting idea. Obviously it probably won't happen but it is fun when mock drafts think like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Definitely an interesting idea. Obviously it probably won't happen but it is fun when mock drafts think like this.
    Yeah I agree, but I just can't recall a scenario with a SS and FS coming out together and thinking about putting them on your team. Really intriguied me.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

My man Kyle Juszczyk out of Harvard killed it at his Pro Day. TE/FB/H-back goes 6'2, 248 and ran a 4.62 40, 24 BP reps, 37" Vert 10-1 Broad. Every single one of those figures would have been top 3 for TEs at the Combine.

My top FB in the class is an incredible athlete for the position with top-notch pass-catching ability and burst, but more than enough physicality and toughness to be a good lead blocker between the tackles.

He would be a massive upgrade on Leach in terms of speed, athleticism, and YAC, although of course a downgrade in pure lead blocking. I think he could go maybe as early as the 5th, but the Ravens should do what they need to do to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    Evans is an underrated player and would be a nice 5th round pick, but I don't think the Ravens would dump both starting safeties without having a solution on the roster for at least ONE of them. I don't think they'll take two safeties in the draft.

I think they must feel really good about one of Christian Thompson, Emanuel Cook, or Omar Brown. Obviously Thompson is the top candidate as he carries a 4th round pedigree compared to the two UDFAs. We're all worried because he barely played last year and was extremely raw coming out of SCSU, but the coaches must have really liked his work in practice.

Beyond that, Ihedigbo is a really good 3rd safety who can come in on dime sets and rush the passer on zone blitzes and play special teams. Cook is also a good special teams player (led the team in ST tackles in 2011 I believe), and Omar Brown is a good developmental 5th safety. The depth chart looks good except for one starter's spot, so that's what I think they'll look for in FA or the draft, but not necessarily two.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    My man Kyle Juszczyk out of Harvard killed it at his Pro Day. TE/FB/H-back goes 6'2, 248 and ran a 4.62 40, 24 BP reps, 37" Vert 10-1 Broad. Every single one of those figures would have been top 3 for TEs at the Combine.

My top FB in the class is an incredible athlete for the position with top-notch pass-catching ability and burst, but more than enough physicality and toughness to be a good lead blocker between the tackles.

He would be a massive upgrade on Leach in terms of speed, athleticism, and YAC, although of course a downgrade in pure lead blocking. I think he could go maybe as early as the 5th, but the Ravens should do what they need to do to get him.
    Massive upgrade? Comon man, Leach is a back to back all pro, having a FB who can catch is all fine and well, but if he can't block, he aint going to be good at all. Sounds more like a TE to me.