Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Baltimore Football's Greatest- Counting down the best to wear the numbers.

Another point about Mackey that's often overlooked is when you get past the highlight film of him catching passes like a super hero, he was an excellent blocker. Many have called him the greatest TE ever. You don't get that label unless you're a complete player.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You should also apologize for Bryan Adams while you're at it.
    Ouch. That cuts like a knife . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Ouch. That cuts like a knife . . . .
    I see what you did there

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Indeed. I like Pitta, but Pitta couldn't carry Todd Heap's jock. And Heap couldn't carry Sharpe's jock. And Sharpe couldn't carry Mackey's jock.
    I suspect that if Todd Heap had John Elway throwing him passes for 7-8 years, he would would be in the HOF discussion. I also feel confident that if Shannon Sharpe had Kyle Boller/Elvis Grbac/Kordell Stewart/Chris Redman/Anthony Wright/Jeff Blake/Stoney Case throwing him passes for 2/3rds of his career, he would not be in Canton.

I agree with your Baltimore TE hierarchy, but to say that Heap couldn't hold Sharpe's jock strap, to me is inaccurate.

Great thread...

While there is a lull in the action so to speak....a couple of comments on some of the earlier ranked players:

It was actually #99's (McCrary's) hit on Gannon on the first play from scrimmage that injured the Oakland QB in the AFC Championship game. #98's (Siragusa's) hit just finished the job.

McCrary would literally crawl on the ground to get to the QB (probably would not be allowed today due to one of the "Brady Rules" implemented since then). I recall Billick commenting that McCrary was one of the veteran leaders on the '99 Ravens that helped wash the Cleveland stench off of the new franchise. Billick challenged McCrary by asking him, "Do you want Pro Bowl rings or Super Bowl Rings?" Meaning that McCrary would need to give up some of his aggressive QB rushes - and sacks - in order to "set the edge" ala Jarrett Johnson and allow the roaming linebackers to make the plays.

On #95, I remember a certain sports writer/commentator wondering aloud in the newspaper as to "Uh oh. What does new Browns GM Phil Savage know that Ozzie Newsome doesn't?" when Savage initiated a draft day trade of picks and allowed the Ravens to jump 1 spot ahead of the Browns and draft Ngata in 2006. The answer, if it wasn't clear then, is crystal now: "Phil didn't know anything, Mike. Just like you."

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I suspect that if Todd Heap had John Elway throwing him passes for 7-8 years, he would would be in the HOF discussion. I also feel confident that if Shannon Sharpe had Kyle Boller/Elvis Grbac/Kordell Stewart/Chris Redman/Anthony Wright/Jeff Blake/Stoney Case throwing him passes for 2/3rds of his career, he would not be in Canton. I agree with your Baltimore TE hierarchy, but to say that Heap couldn't hold Sharpe's jock strap, to me is inaccurate.
    Well Sharpe managed to lead his team to the Super Bowl with Banks and Dilfer throwing him the ball, so it's not accurate that he was just a product of Elway. Sharpe is a HoFer, and in the conversation for GOAT. I love Todd, but he is nowhere close to that, no matter who was throwing him the ball.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Well Sharpe managed to lead his team to the Super Bowl with Banks and Dilfer throwing him the ball, so it's not accurate that he was just a product of Elway. Sharpe is a HoFer, and in the conversation for GOAT. I love Todd, but he is nowhere close to that, no matter who was throwing him the ball.
    Have to go no further than the reception the Dilfer got credit for in the playoffs that bounced off Jamal
    http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/playoffs00/...31/986075.html

The play was originally designed as a pass to running back Jamal Lewis. But he bobbled Trent Dilfer's throw, which glanced off the arms of Denver cornerback Terrell Buckley before it was snared by Sharpe, who followed key blocks by Sam Gash and Pat Johnson into the end zone.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

ActualSpamBot seems to have gotten busy (hopefully you're okay dude) but I'm loving this thread too much to let it rest. It's gotten interesting. Where will Spammy go with #87?

Jerry Richardson wore it for the Colts and won a championship and the Rookie of the Year award. But he only played two years, and completely tarnished his Baltimore legacy when he spearheaded the bid to put an expansion team in Carolina, when it should have been in Baltimore.

Raymond Chester caught fastballs from Bert Jones, and played five solid seasons in the blue and white. He was an all-around TE, paving the way for Lydell Mitchell as much as being a receiving threat.

But if I were deciding, Baltimore's best football number 87 wore purple. I am speaking, of course, about Demetrius Williams.

No, seriously, it's gotta be Qadry. Raymond Chester played for Baltimore longer, and better. But Q helped bring the Lombardi back to Charm City. He only caught 655 yards that Super Bowl year, but that was the most of any WR on our team. He did put up two 1000 yard seasons in his other two seasons here, and as Grbac's favorite target, was a huge reason why we got back to the playoffs in 2001 after our running game was decimated.

So I'm predicting Q here, but I couldn't argue with Spammy if he decided to go with a great all-around TE from the final glory days of the Baltimore Colts.
    "Chin up, chest out."

We'll see what ASB comes up with, but I agree, Q would be my selection too. Chester did some good things but was known for dropping passes. Q had some impressive numbers considering the offensive production of the team and of the QB throwing to him.

Yeah, Q is my take as well.

Ravens to have worn #87:

87 Clark, Dallas (TE)
    87 Dinkins, Darnell (TE)
    87 Ismail, Qadry (WR)
    87 Ogden, Jeff (WR)
    87 Robinson, Marcus (WR)
    87 Singleton, Nate (WR)
    87 Turner, Floyd (WR)
    87 Williams, Demetrius (WR)
    87 Wilson, Kris (TE)

Blog Entries

Tossing this in here because Baltimore players and no other place to put it

http://www.oldestlivingprofootball.c...gbaltcolts.htm
    Top 25 - Oldest Living Baltimore Colts
    1 Zollie 'Tugboat' Toth 1954 Baltimore Colts 01/26/24 91
    2 Don Colo 1950 Baltimore Colts 01/05/25 90
    3 Bob Kelly 1949 Baltimore Colts 06/06/25 89
    4 Ralph E. 'Boot' Stewart 1948 Baltimore Colts 12/10/25 89
    5 Bob Jensen 1950 Baltimore Colts 12/29/25 89
    6 Paul Salata 1950 Baltimore Colts 10/17/26 88
    7 Y.A. Tittle 1948 Baltimore Colts 10/24/26 88
    8 Gino Marchetti 1953 Baltimore Colts 01/02/27 88
    9 George Taliaferro 1953 Baltimore Colts 01/08/27 88