Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

ProFootballCentral Write up - Manti Te'o

http://www.profootballcentral.com/20...outing-report/

I thought this was pretty accurate based on what I have seen of Te'o.

I know most on here aren't really thrilled with him, but I do think that he would be a good fit for this defense.

Te’o is an aggressive inside linebacker with natural instincts and always manages to hover around the football. Te’o is a solid tackler despite being a little bit undersized, which pairs well with his downhill speed. Te’o plays well in pass coverage, and can read the quarterback better than most college linebackers as evidenced by his seven interceptions. He showed aggression and an ability to lead this season, which translates well for any draft prospect with aspirations of succeeding in the NFL.

Pass Coverage

Pass coverage was Te’o’s best attribute this past season. Notre Dame’s defensive system allowed him to play zone coverage, which he excelled best at. He was able to play a lot of read the Quarterback middle zone in college, which left him free in man coverage schemes and led to a solid 7 interceptions. Te’o may struggle in NFL pass coverage because he doesn’t have the speed to cover the more talented, athletic tight ends and running backs one on one in space in man coverage schemes.

Run Support

During the 2012 season Te’o tackling number and tackles for a loss looked a bit shallower due to his increased role in pass coverage. He is a great downhill defender between the tackles and can make some great, athletic plays. He totaled 113 tackles and had 5.5 tackles for loss this past season. He will need to improve his strength and ability to defeat blocks as well, since everyone remembers his disappointing performance against Alabama in the National Championship. Alabama’s offensive line is the closest thing to “NFL-ready” on the college level; Te’o failed to make an impact against the Crimson Tide’s hogs up front and Alabama racked up a solid 264 rushing yards in the game.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: ProFootballCentral Write up - Manti Te'o

I don't think anyone should put much stock into this, but I was reading a report about the Florida Gators pro day on some website, and according to the guy that wrote the report who had talked to some of the scouts at the pro day, Jon Bostin looks like a 3rd round type prospect and is a good north/south defender etc, then the discussion got on to Te'o and he wrote that they view Te'o the same way, which was interesting. I'm not saying Te'o is going to go in the 3rd or even the 2nd round, but at the same time, it really wouldn't surprise me. The whole game is evolving so much, its about stopping the pass in any way you can on defense, and offenses are built around creating mismatches in space. Te'o is the kind of LB that struggles to defend space, he isn't an east/west guy, which scouts view as a more important aspect in a LB these days, like a Bobby Wagner, or a Lavonte David.

Again, don't too much stock into that, he could well go between 20-32, but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him fall into the second round, possibly even the early 3rd round because of that Alabama game. Kevin Minter has an even bigger chance of falling into the 3rd round too IMO.

Someone will get a solid starting LB in the 2nd round IMO. Not a star, but won't be a liability either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Someone will get a solid starting LB in the 2nd round IMO. Not a star, but won't be a liability either.
    You nailed it, that's what he is. He's a Dameco Ryans.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Which the Ravens could certainly use IMO.

I think another comparison that has been thrown around quite a bit is James Laurinaitis. Physically, they are very close and had similar (and underwhelming) Combine numbers. Both are instinctive, technically sound players who are underwhelming physically. Both were fantastic college players who got a lot of hype but were firmly 2nd round talents on tape.

I'm actually not sure Te'o is going to be a good fit in a 3-4 at the next level. Notre Dame's DL was dominant enough against most college offensives to soak up pretty much all 5 linemen with just 3 defenders, but at the NFL level in a 3-4 he's going to have to contend with linemen getting up to his level and getting their hands on him. I'm not sure that will be good for him vs. the run.

I think Te'o might fit best in a zone-heavy 4-3 defense as a MIKE or SAM. That was Laurinaitis' best fit as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I think another comparison that has been thrown around quite a bit is James Laurinaitis. Physically, they are very close and had similar (and underwhelming) Combine numbers. Both are instinctive, technically sound players who are underwhelming physically. Both were fantastic college players who got a lot of hype but were firmly 2nd round talents on tape.

I'm actually not sure Te'o is going to be a good fit in a 3-4 at the next level. Notre Dame's DL was dominant enough against most college offensives to soak up pretty much all 5 linemen with just 3 defenders, but at the NFL level in a 3-4 he's going to have to contend with linemen getting up to his level and getting their hands on him. I'm not sure that will be good for him vs. the run.

I think Te'o might fit best in a zone-heavy 4-3 defense as a MIKE or SAM. That was Laurinaitis' best fit as well.
    Well, how do we know Laurinaitis wouldn't fit into a 3-4? He's only ever been in a 4-3.

Blog Entries

Dameco Ryans struggled in the 3-4 at Houston which is somewhat similar to our hybrid 3-4, which is why he was ultimately traded. I wouldn't take Te'o at 32, but probably would at 62.

Blog Entries

Dameco Ryans struggled in the 3-4 at Houston which is somewhat similar to our hybrid 3-4, which is why he was ultimately traded. I wouldn't take Te'o at 32, but probably would at 62.
    The whole "DeMecco Ryans struggled in a 3-4" thing is pretty overblown.

That's like saying Boldin struggled in Baltimore's offense.

Ryans is a better fit for a 4-3, but he was still pretty good in a 3-4.

Ryans was a 2x pro-bowler and an all-pro while in Houston, rookie of the year, and was a team captain.

Blog Entries

Yeah he won those awards while playing in a 4-3, figures. I'm not saying he was terrible when Phillips got there, but he was traded for a reason, he wasn't as effective. Like I said, I'd like Te'o as a 62nd pick, but at 32 there are better prospects that could be available like Matt Elam.

The way free agency has been going and what positions the Ravens have been prioritizing it does seem like their 1st round pick will be either ILB or FS, possibly WR, and not so much a DL or OLB It depends of course on who drops to them and really it sure does sem like dropping back into round 2 and pick up another pick seems like the best way to go.

For what it's worth, most mockers are picking Minter at #32. Some have Te'o though not nearly as man as Minter. A few have a WR; no one has a safety at the moment. I saw Justin Pugh in one mock, another has Demontre Moore dropping to us. Obviously all of this will change several times, but it seems like mockers have noticed that the Ravens aren't looking like they will address ILB in free agency so they are mostly going ILB and Minter.

Blog Entries

Kevin Minter is not going in the first round, idk why everyone thinks that. Very good player, but not first round talent. I'm pretty sure Ozzie isn't picking him at 32 either.