Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens working on a deal with DT Domata Peko

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBird View Post
    D-line depth. If we play New England again they're gonna kill our D-Line with the no-huddle. We need bodies and he's a body.
    And just how do you propose to get said bodies on the field when the opponent is successfully running a no-huddle whose express purpose is to prevent the defense from running in substitutions?

Sheesh.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I think Ricard is on the KR team (just not as a returner).

... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    And just how do you propose to get said bodies on the field when the opponent is successfully running a no-huddle whose express purpose is to prevent the defense from running in substitutions?

Sheesh.
    Call a time-out or something? Incomplete pass?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    Call a time-out or something? Incomplete pass?
    Timeouts? You only have 3 per half. Forcing the defense to take one is a win for the no-huddle. And 3-4 plays later the D is gassed again.

Incomplete pass? A successful no-huddle is throwing high-percentage passes, often short-range with plenty of YAC, that are nearly impossible to defend against (e.g. the flip behind the LoS to Edelman where Peanut stripped him). If the QB can't hit the receiver or the receiver can't corral the pass, it's by definition not a successful no-huddle since the defense gets to substitute.

Sheesh.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Timeouts? You only have 3 per half. Forcing the defense to take one is a win for the no-huddle. And 3-4 plays later the D is gassed again.

Incomplete pass? A successful no-huddle is throwing high-percentage passes, often short-range with plenty of YAC, that are nearly impossible to defend against (e.g. the flip behind the LoS to Edelman where Peanut stripped him). If the QB can't hit the receiver or the receiver can't corral the pass, it's by definition not a successful no-huddle since the defense gets to substitute.

Sheesh.
    Depth still matters against efficient no huddle teams even if you can’t sub within drives, because you can have different guys out there on different drives. Keeps everybody fresh going into the 4th. Not sure what the point of all this is.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Wha???

Wormley is under contract next year at a very reasonable rate. If you believe in PFF, he rates well. He also gets a moderate-to-high snap count rate, meaning the organization/coaches value his play. He will be a Raven in 2020 with zero doubt.
    Pretty sure Wormley is a 5 tech guy too

It’s interesting because Daylon Mack had that explosive first step on tape and in the preseason so I had high hopes. Then again I always have high hopes so what do I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Not sure what the point of all this is.
    I was reacting to the notion that the main justification for depth is "not getting killed by the no-huddle." I'm pointing out that depth is not all that useful against a team that can run the no-huddle competently and often through the course of a game. Essentially you just have to trust the conditioning of the defenders you have on the field - & be ready to substitute in a New York nanosecond if a stoppage of play gives you the opportunity. Depth is far more important when the opponent's offense is run at a normal pace, allowing you to play matchups 11-on-11 and keep your rotations (DL/LB/DS) as fresh as possible. That's all.

People are reading too much into the Pierce injury the fact of the matter we needed a DT to add to our rotation just for depth reasons. We have noone outside Pierce and Williams. Peko doesn't do anything they don't but he's much needed insurance and who knows maybe keeping them fresher will help their effectiveness.

Both Williams and Pierce were playing 65-70 percent of the snaps. That is a lot ask of basically two NT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    What needs might you be referring to?
    Well we have several defensive players who are pending free agents, including 3 out 4 of our starting CBs. Onwausor and Judon and a few other guys. Some are going to command big contracts. I agree that they don't need to give big money to Pierce.

I was reacting to the notion that the main justification for depth is "not getting killed by the no-huddle." I'm pointing out that depth is not all that useful against a team that can run the no-huddle competently and often through the course of a game. Essentially you just have to trust the conditioning of the defenders you have on the field - & be ready to substitute in a New York nanosecond if a stoppage of play gives you the opportunity. Depth is far more important when the opponent's offense is run at a normal pace, allowing you to play matchups 11-on-11 and keep your rotations (DL/LB/DS) as fresh as possible. That's all.
    Seems strange to say all this after cutting out the part of my post where I pointed out why depth is still useful against no-huddle teams.

Big space eater to rotate and keep the other guys a little more rested. I don’t see this as a big issue - more insurance as the season goes on and guys get injured or fatigued.