Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Ravens = leagues best special teams

Special teams yo

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Nothing flips field position faster than Special Teams.
    But how much does that matter these days? If the Ravens are going to be a middling team hoping to get over .500, it would matter quite a lot, but if they're going to be Super Bowl contenders that will require a powerful offense that's a threat to score every time it sees the field.

How much did 5 more yards of field position really matter in 19? How much do 5 yards really matter to Mahomes, Allen or Rodgers and the teams we hope to be competing against?

I think keeping Seiler to penetrate on the D line or Williams' coverage skills would have had more of an impact than, say, Kristian Welch's special teams play. That's why I'd dedicate fewer roster spots to ST.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    But how much does that matter these days? If the Ravens are going to be a middling team hoping to get over .500, it would matter quite a lot, but if they're going to be Super Bowl contenders that will require a powerful offense that's a threat to score every time it sees the field.

How much did 5 more yards of field position really matter in 19? How much do 5 yards really matter to Mahomes, Allen or Rodgers and the teams we hope to be competing against?

I think keeping Seiler to penetrate on the D line or Williams' coverage skills would have had more of an impact than, say, Kristian Welch's special teams play. That's why I'd dedicate fewer roster spots to ST.
    Sorry, not buying this line of thinking.

I believe most NFL coaches would disagree with your idea that starting offensive series closer to the opponent's endzone, while pinning their offense further back on every drive is significant.

The fantasy that a powerful offense renders this math meaningless just doesn't add up for me. I have a hard time believing that cutting Welch and saving the 53rd roster spot for an offensive player is the key to creating this offense that scores at will that you are calling for. You cherry picked two defensive players. Sieler had 33 tackles and two sacks. Is he really any kind of difference maker? I can't even think of an offensive player who was cut and went on to any kind of significant career. But I can think of dozens and dozens of bubble players who no one ever regretted letting leave.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Sorry, not buying this line of thinking.

I believe most NFL coaches would disagree with your idea that starting offensive series closer to the opponent's endzone, while pinning their offense further back on every drive is significant.
    I didn't advocate giving up on special teams entirely, just wondering how much advantage is gained by having the best special teams above an average unit. A few yards per kick isn't as significant as gaining a first down or preventing one.

Looking at the surviving playoff teams, special teams doesn't seem to matter too much - The Bills are 2nd, Bengals 7th, Chiefs 9th, 49ers 21st, the Bucs and Packers both 22nd, Titans 28th and the Rams 31st. Looks like a pretty random distribution, as if special teams aren't really that important.
    https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings/special-teams

The fantasy that a powerful offense renders this math meaningless just doesn't add up for me. I have a hard time believing that cutting Welch and saving the 53rd roster spot for an offensive player is the key to creating this offense that scores at will that you are calling for.
    I didn't say an offensive player should always be kept in place of a special teamer, just the best fringe player at any position.

What I was saying about offense is that every contender nowadays needs a good offense. If we want to contend we'll need that too, in which case we'll be able to make up those few yards pretty easily.

You cherry picked two defensive players. Sieler had 33 tackles and two sacks. Is he really any kind of difference maker? I can't even think of an offensive player who was cut and went on to any kind of significant career. But I can think of dozens and dozens of bubble players who no one ever regretted letting leave.
    I cherry picked two good players who were cut while special teamers stayed on the roster. PFF gave Zach Seiler the 4th highest grade of any Defensive Tackle this season. Darious Williams is an above average corner. Both would have been pretty handy to have on the roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I didn't advocate giving up on special teams entirely, just wondering how much advantage is gained by having the best special teams above an average unit. A few yards per kick isn't as significant as gaining a first down or preventing one.

Looking at the surviving playoff teams, special teams doesn't seem to matter too much - The Bills are 2nd, Bengals 7th, Chiefs 9th, 49ers 21st, the Bucs and Packers both 22nd, Titans 28th and the Rams 31st. Looks like a pretty random distribution, as if special teams aren't really that important.
    https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings/special-teams

I didn't say an offensive player should always be kept in place of a special teamer, just the best fringe player at any position.

What I was saying about offense is that every contender nowadays needs a good offense. If we want to contend we'll need that too, in which case we'll be able to make up those few yards pretty easily.

I cherry picked two good players who were cut while special teamers stayed on the roster. PFF gave Zach Seiler the 4th highest grade of any Defensive Tackle this season. Darious Williams is an above average corner. Both would have been pretty handy to have on the roster.
    Good post.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Historically - the Ravens have prided themselves on DEFENSE. Flipping field position is critical if you are a defense oriented team.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Historically - the Ravens have prided themselves on DEFENSE. Flipping field position is critical if you are a defense oriented team.
    Not many defense oriented teams are still alive in the playoffs. It isn't the way to win anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    https://twitter.com/j_Borders/status...zp1fpAVww&s=19

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

special teams blocked field goal was the difference for the 9ers

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    special teams blocked field goal was the difference for the 9ers
    The Packers Special Teams were awful all year. Gosselin had them 32nd and the 49ers 25th. I think it's important not to be terrible at it but it doesn't really matter much if you're around average.

Blog Entries

packers also had 10 men on the field for the game losing FG. but of course special teams doesn't matter

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Straw men don't matter.
    Reading comprehension does matter.