Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: I was excited about Deonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreravenous View Post
    I'll never understand how we consistently whiff on receivers - seriously, if we could find some MIT statisticians to look into it, that'd be great.
    It has to be the scouting. The Ravens like to keep scouts for a very long time. They need to look for some new scouts for the WR position. What they've been doing for years just isn't working.

Blog Entries

lol another camp wonder from years past.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    It wasn't so much we failed to replace those guys, its more who we replaced them with.... gino and elam.... i shudder to think of the days those guys were starting for us.
    Oh thanks leach! An old man like me already forgot about those two, but you had to bring them back to my memory again. LOL, you are right anyway... Bc

I genuinely think the Ravens over valued the roster after that SB win, Torrey and Joe as a player. They assumed Joe could have still been good with those guys, and they thought Torrey could be a #1. How wrong they were. They should never have got rid of Boldin, and found the cap space else where to sign guys on defense (btw most of the guys they ended up signing were bad anyway).

They also failed to find a C replacement for Birk, and a center fielder replacement for Reed.
    I will go to my grave with the opinion that Ozzie and the organization completely bought into the "now it's time for Joe to make guys better" thinking. And it backfired.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I will go to my grave with the opinion that Ozzie and the organization completely bought into the "now it's time for Joe to make guys better" thinking. And it backfired.
    He did see Torrey Smith here Torrey Smith not here. see SSSr year prior to coming here compared to his first. Where's Marlon Brown these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I genuinely think the Ravens over valued the roster after that SB win, Torrey and Joe as a player. They assumed Joe could have still been good with those guys, and they thought Torrey could be a #1. How wrong they were. They should never have got rid of Boldin, and found the cap space else where to sign guys on defense (btw most of the guys they ended up signing were bad anyway).

They also failed to find a C replacement for Birk, and a center fielder replacement for Reed.

Torrey Smith was basically already The Ravens number one receiver even with Anquan Boldin on the team especially if you consider what type of offense The Ravens ran back then. No disrespect to Boldin but Smith was the most dangerous receiver on The Ravens offense and played a key role in their vertical offense at the time. I don't think The Ravens miss Anquan Boldin if Dennis Pitta didn't injured his hip in training camp and I think the young receivers at that time would have been more effective if the running game was better as well.

7. Re: I was excited about Deonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Torrey Smith was basically already The Ravens number one receiver even with Anquan Boldin on the team especially if you consider what type of offense The Ravens ran back then. No disrespect to Boldin but Smith was the most dangerous receiver on The Ravens offense and played a key role in their vertical offense at the time. I don't think The Ravens miss Anquan Boldin if Dennis Pitta didn't injured his hip in training camp and I think the young receivers at that time would have been more effective if the running game was better as well.
    Torrey could never be their #1 WR as long as Anquan was here because Joe trusted Q more. Which may have been some of the thinking at the Castle. That as long as Boldin remained a Raven, Torrey could never reach his full potential.

Blog Entries

Thats another thing. Lost Birk, and KO went on IR? That OL was BAD.

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreravenous View Post
    I'll never understand how we consistently whiff on receivers - seriously, if we could find some MIT statisticians to look into it, that'd be great.
    Because the team ask them to do too much and they don't seriously look at skillset as it compliments their scheme and QB. I have always felt that Joe would've benefited from a big physical receiver who could get downfield. Imagine if the Ravens had figured out how to trade up to get Mike Evans(The Ravens thought Evans would fall to them because they thought teams still drafted receivers like it was 2000 instead of 2015) or to a lessor degree simply drafted Kelvin Benjamin instead of CJ Moseley. The team doesn't get that having that huge target can make a world of difference for Flacco and transform the offense. Instead they sign veterans who have peaked(Wallace, Maclin), Past their prime(Sr.) or draft guys that don't fit(see any number or receivers they've drafted). Also this organization just doesn't have an understanding nor feel for offense. It's not that hard but they seem to go out of their way to play as if its the mid aughts with defense and just enough offense. The beginning of the end for Parcell's was when he took Jake Long over Matt Ryan. It made absolutely no sense. If he had traded out he could've gotten Ryan or Flacco and a boatload of picks and maybe we wouldn't have seen this dominance from NE. The beginning of the end for Ozzie is not building around Flacco even if it meant walking away from veteran defenders that were past their prime or drafting defensive lineman as if he didn't have enough. If the Steelers were as closed minded Bruce Arians very well could be their HC but Ben would've been out the league by now because in that offense he took an absolute beating. They improved the oline, got lucky with Antonio Brown(not to mention Mike Wallace turning down the contract AB eventually tool) and just flat out hit a homerun with LeVeon Bell. They also ask all of their receivers with the exception of Brown and Bell to do one specific thing. For example Darius Heywood-Bey stays in Pittsburgh because he likes just being a deepthreat.....and he's somewhat decent at it.

It ain't that hard you just have to be committed to developing.

That Thompson clip is more fantastic blocking than anything

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Torrey could never be their #1 WR as long as Anquan was here because Joe trusted Q more. Which may have been some of the thinking at the Castle. That as long as Boldin remained a Raven, Torrey could never reach his full potential.
    Could be true. I honestly think The Ravens viewed Torrey Smith as their most dangerous receiver and figured Tandon Doss would step his game up and would be a similar player as Anquan Boldin. Doss was one my favorite receivers in The 2011 NFl draft and some thought he would go in the second round. I honestly have no clue why he didn't work out because the guy was pretty talented receiver in college but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    Because the team ask them to do too much and they don't seriously look at skillset as it compliments their scheme and QB. I have always felt that Joe would've benefited from a big physical receiver who could get downfield. Imagine if the Ravens had figured out how to trade up to get Mike Evans(The Ravens thought Evans would fall to them because they thought teams still drafted receivers like it was 2000 instead of 2015) or to a lessor degree simply drafted Kelvin Benjamin instead of CJ Moseley. The team doesn't get that having that huge target can make a world of difference for Flacco and transform the offense. Instead they sign veterans who have peaked(Wallace, Maclin), .

I highly doubt The Ravens thought Mike Evans was going to fall to them . Him and Sammy Watkins were regarded as the two best receivers in the 2014 draft. I loved Kelvin Benjamin upside but never really thought he was going to get drafted in the first round. His combine workout was poor and teams question his work ethics. He's a good receiver now but he Ravens do have Breshad Perriman . He may not be 6'5" but 6'2" or 6'3" isn't short at all.

Perriman has the ability to go deep consistently and make contested catches. I honestly expect him to have a pretty good season this year and build off what he did last year.