Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Way Too Early Positional Review

Just a glimpse at positions that might be targeted in next year's draft.

DT: Ngata will either retire, be cut or sign an extension that allows him to retire as a Raven. Either way the Ravens should plan for the loss of Haloti Ngata be it now or later. And as Ozzie has already demonstrated this year, there's no such thing as too many young D-Linemen.

OLB: Not an immediate area to address but Suggs and Dumervil are pushing 30, McPhee enters free agency after 2014 (and I'm rooting for him to have a big season), and Upshaw is a free agent after that. It might be useful to have a young guy to groom.

RB: No knock on the guys here now but Ray could be gone after 2014 and I've heard that there are some killer RBs in this year's crop.

WR: Torrey Smith is hitting FA (however I expect him to be resigned) Steve Smith can be released after 2014 and Marlon, Mellette, and Campanaro might not develop as planned, while not as talented as 2014's crop, there's still good guys here.

Possible others:

CB: If Webb doesn't have a bounce-back year in 2014, he could be a cap-cut if he doesn't agree to a paycut.

OG: Yanda's going to be 30 in September and will be a 31 year old Free Agent after 2015, the Ravens could start developing a successor to him.

Hopefully the Ravens won't need to find new guys for Webb and Yanda and hopefully the Ravens won't need to look for other positions in the draft.

Re: Way Too Early Positional Review

Elam, Brown, Mosley, Brooks and BWill (any NT/DT that bags a tackle out near the numbers can roll)...that's a lot of young speed right there.
    I'd like to see a 1st round OLB situation play out for us.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Cool Re: Way Too Early Positional Review

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Elam, Brown, Mosley, Brooks and BWill (any NT/DT that bags a tackle out near the numbers can roll)...that's a lot of young speed right there.
    I'd like to see a 1st round OLB situation play out for us.
    I think either OLB or CB (although I sort of like the UDFA CBs the Ravens picked up) will be targeted next year in the draft if they do not focus on Offense.

However, BPR I'd sure like to see another WR and TE added to the mix too.

Have you done any evaluations yet on 2015 potential draft prospects?

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    I think either OLB or CB (although I sort of like the UDFA CBs the Ravens picked up) will be targeted next year in the draft if they do not focus on Offense.

For WR I know that some high ranking prospects are Amari Cooper from Alabama and Stefon Diggs from Maryland. I don't know about TE. Frankly I spent so much energy looking at 2014 prospects I don't plan on going that far in depth for a while.

It's looking like another lackluster TE class and a really deep WR group.

I also think RB may be on the list depending on what happens with Rice...and there will be much better ones IMHO next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Raveninwoodlawn; 06-16-2014 at 08:35 AM.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I also think RB may be on the list depending on what happens with Rice...and there will be much better ones IMHO next year.

You're actually taking the time to research prospects? Give this guy a round of applause.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I agree.

It is also another strong QB class with Mariota, Winston, Petty, and Hundley all being possible round-1 guys.

I'd love to see Jaelen Strong or Stefon Diggs wind up on the Ravens.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Never too early for a thread like this. My take on our most likely biggest needs...

RB- Rice unfortunately will be hard to cut for the 2015 season as he'll STILL cost the team an extra $1.5M to cut him as opposed to keeping him. Really a bad contract there. That means to me that Pearce really needs to step it up this year or we'll be looking for a new starting RB in next year's draft. Melvin Gordon?

Pass rusher- I'm not putting this into a specific position (although OLB is the likely one of course but could be a DE or both) but we need to get a young pass rushing stud. Kyler Fackrell perhaps? Dante Fowler? Norkeithus Otis? Shane Ray? Noah Spence?

CB- I'm guessing that we'll be still wanting a good 3rd CB next year come draft time as I'm kinda doubting that Asa or Chylke will be that guy and Ross, etc. are just bandaids.

TE- Yep next year's TE class is weak. Yep we'll need one. How about..hmm...damn this class sucks.

WR- Yes, another please. My guess is that Diggs will be long gone by the time we pick.

S- If our 3rd round pick doesn't develop like we want.

Blog Entries

I really like Mike Davis from SC as a running back.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Never too early for a thread like this. My take on our most likely biggest needs...

RB- Rice unfortunately will be hard to cut for the 2015 season as he'll STILL cost the team an extra $1.5M to cut him as opposed to keeping him. Really a bad contract there. That means to me that Pearce really needs to step it up this year or we'll be looking for a new starting RB in next year's draft. Melvin Gordon?

Pass rusher- I'm not putting this into a specific position (although OLB is the likely one of course but could be a DE or both) but we need to get a young pass rushing stud. Kyler Fackrell perhaps? Dante Fowler? Norkeithus Otis? Shane Ray? Noah Spence?

CB- I'm guessing that we'll be still wanting a good 3rd CB next year come draft time as I'm kinda doubting that Asa or Chylke will be that guy and Ross, etc. are just bandaids.

TE- Yep next year's TE class is weak. Yep we'll need one. How about..hmm...damn this class sucks.

WR- Yes, another please. My guess is that Diggs will be long gone by the time we pick.

S- If our 3rd round pick doesn't develop like we want.
    I struggle to see TE as a need. The Ravens locked up Pitta and drafted Gillmore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    I struggle to see TE as a need. The Ravens locked up Pitta and drafted Gillmore.
    And they have KJ and they could easily re-up Owen Daniels if he has a decent year.

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post

Shamefully, I have not. I'm in side-project hell these days lol.
    I've read a bit, but I haven't watched anyone; and with some vacay coming up next week, I might not lay eyes on anyone until October.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver