Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Anyone else feeling almost total apathy and disinterest in the Ravens/NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Well to be honest teams do get tax payers money. As well as merchandise ticket sales and so forth. So even though it’s kinda not accurate for a fan to say that they not entirely wrong either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not suggesting its inaccurate... players salaries are largely driven by consumer spending. My point is that not only are people like you, me, and everybody else who watches the NFL the reason for those large salaries, we're also responsible for an entire supply/demand chain that dictates compensation for each and every person in this country.

And so I always find it amusing when I see the "they get paid millions to play a kids game" or "they get paid millions to work one day a week" kind of logic, because its not logical. They get paid millions because people like us use them as an escape from our own lives, and there's very few other professions in this country like that.

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaniacx View Post
    I enjoy watching all NFL games. I just enjoy the sport and watching these insanely athletic dudes making crazy plays and taking hits that would probably kill me. I mostly ignore all the political stuff because I'm watching for entertainment.

As for the Ravens, I'll be there watching every week even with the anemic offense, questionable play-calling and adjustment-less coaching. I'll bitch and complain, but I'll still watch. The Ravens have proven time and again that they can turn it around so I have a sliver of hope that can happen. It's small, but it's there. This season in particular seems worse because every worst-case-scenario is coming true between injuries and the systematic neglect of the offense coming to a head. Maybe Biscotti blows it all up, maybe not. I'll be watching though, through thick and thin. Mama didn't raise no fair-weather fan.

There's no compelling reason to watch the Ravens right now. There's no player on either side of the ball who's so good at what he does that you think "I want to make sure I don't miss what that guy brings on Sunday." Terrell Suggs is going to the Hall of Fame, but his best days are behind him; Marshal Yanda is a guard, and now he's done for the year anyway. Our running backs and receivers are nobodies and our quarterback can't effectively get them the ball anyway. Our defense is loaded with solid players but doesn't really have game-changers like Ray and Ed who can be counted on to produce turnovers.

The last two games I turned off at halftime. For years I've started watching an hour and a half into a game by firing up the DVR so I can skip all the useless commercials and downtime; now it's hard to get excited about turning on the game at all.

I think it's time to clean house.

I'm not that old...I think...but I miss the days when 1,000 yard rushers weren't an oddity. The league has become so pass-friendly, it is starting to remind me of the NBA. 3 yards and a cloud of dust for me, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    I'm not that old...I think...but I miss the days when 1,000 yard rushers weren't an oddity. The league has become so pass-friendly, it is starting to remind me of the NBA. 3 yards and a cloud of dust for me, baby!
    I miss those kinds of games too. The tailback getting 25-35 carries for 160 and not coming out of the game after 2 carries in a row. Just wearing out a defense...

I almost didn't watch the second half of last weeks game. The Ravens have always played and won ugly, but last year and now all this mess this year it is getting to me.

I like watching the Eagles. Wentz is impressive.

If I can tolerate the Orioles for all of those pre-Showalter years, I can tolerate this down period that the Ravens are having. Hopefully it doesn't take 20 years. Apathy is a strong word, but it is definitely not fun watching a team that looks like no threat to even sniff the playoffs. The Ravens are still a piece of home while I'm living in Vegas, so I'll continue to let them torture me.

It just seems like the Ozzie, Harbaugh, Flacco era is running on vapors. They've probably accomplished what they're going to accomplish, and now they're stuck in the mud with no real plan or identity. "Let's try this, that didn't work.....well let's try this now, that doesn't work either". Seems like they're running out of ideas. In desperation they attempt to try and build an all world defense because it worked for them 17 years ago. The 2017 defense isn't that good, and I don't see Jamal Lewis. A practice squad fumbler has been their biggest surprise bright spot.

If free agents no longer want to play for the Ravens, that is when it's gotten to another level. I bet Maclin for sure already regrets signing up for this.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post
    Just curious if I'm the only one, or if this is becoming more common? I've had season tickets since the first year of the team's existence back in 1996. I would say for the first 15 years or so I almost never missed a game. Then I started going slightly less over then few years. And in the last couple seasons even less. But this season I am going through an almost complete indifference to football in general and the Ravens in particular. I have tickets to five of the games this year, but honestly I don't particularly care if I go anymore or not. I'm considering giving my Bears ticket away next week if the weather is nice just to go to the beach instead - not for any particular reason, just because I'd rather hang out in OC than spend the day at the stadium. And I mean give away, not sell, that's how little I care. I've been through losing seasons before so that can't be the only cause. Yes the anthem business has something to do with it, but it's more than that. I can't put my finger on it but I'm simply beginning to not care much at all about the NFL. Kind of depressed thinking about it. Anyone sort of feeling the same way around here? Sorry to be a downer, but it's been on my mind lately. I was out of town last weekend and made nearly no effort to watch the game. Strange feeling - hope it changes...
    You're not alone. I still watch, but not like I used to. Glad I sold our PSL's. Rule changes, politics, disinterested team, etc., I'm not feeling it.

Blog Entries

I'm pumped for tonight's game though. Raining hard here and Gronk was ruled out. Short week I'm not sure Pats can fix those defensive communication issues. But they do have the GOAT

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

1) replays - replays are killing the game. it takes the juice out of the stadium. error is part of life. its not worth the constant stoppage in play. our 2 point conversion last week was a prime example. if you can't believe what you see then why watch.
    2) i don't play fantasy football. however, FF has become a big part of the coverage of the NFL. instead of talking about a teams prospects, the sports discussions are about a mish mash of unrelated football players. this is of no interest to someone who wants to talk about a teams competitive position.
    3) ravens coverage - there used to be post game shows with BJack. there were weekly shows like ravens wired, one winning drive, the john harbaugh show, touchdown Baltimore, monday morning qb etc. these shows allowed you to stay in touch with he team. when i lived in northern virginia i could get these shows on MASN and NBC sports network. i moved to the eastern shore and we don't get bupkuss.

i grew up with chuck Thompson and bill odonell. but after living in south florida and going to amny of the spring training games from 1996-2000 i quit following the orioles. i told my wife it must be what a divorce feels like. i remember seeing jamie werth catch for the orioles. he was the king of pass balls.

i didn't survive that period of ineptness. i'm a marlins fan. yes, i'm the one fan.

I was interested the first two games with a boring ass offense but stellar defense. But once the defense broke down, what's there to look forward to?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I was interested the first two games with a boring ass offense but stellar defense. But once the defense broke down, what's there to look forward to?
    My interest has been declining for the last few years. I don't know exactly why but I can't get excited about the Ravens or the NFL this year. I think it's a combination of the injuries, bad drafting, same predictable/unwatchable football and the divisive politics that have found there way into the NFL. The witch hunt by ESPN going after the Ravens and Bisciotti was a huge turnoff too oddly. Not that I blame the Ravens for how it was handled, but it seems like that was when it became clear that outside political forces were gunning to invade and take the NFL down as we knew it. The CTE thing has really changed the game too. Making you feel guilty to watch a good hit. Then Kapernick, exercising his right to "protest" in the most divisive way possible. This is an observation on my part, but football should/needs to be a politics free zone. The less politics the more enjoyable. The only drama should be the rivalries and great player stories, not this "football is bad", "men are bad", "you need to respect kneeling/not kneeling..." etc. etc.. I would rather not watch if I'm subjected to that. The key is KEEP THE POLITICS OUT OF IT! It's not a platform for global warming, gun control, patriotism.... It's football. Keep it football. Honestly, it is so easy to NOT mess it up.