Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Billy Cundiff appreciation threat

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    One last thing....

People talk about how much Cundiff cost this team last year, which is true. However, it's doubtful we would have been in the AFC Championship game last year if not for Cundiff's 51 yard FG through the wind at Heinz Field in the closing seconds of the 1st half. Without that incredible kick, Torrey Smith's TD only ties the game for us. Without that kick, we would have had to win games in Denver and Pittsburgh to even get back to having a chance at the AFC championship in Foxboro.

Funny how so many forget that.
    funny he had the chance to win the Jville game for us too, then we wouldn't have to be sweating it out towards the end of the season with a stealers come from behind to snag the NFC north, he missed 2-3fgs that night in Jville which would have gotten us the game, Stover would have made those because Stover for years was our only offense. Fyi he suppose to make those kicks that his job, you don't get a pass because you did your job, c'mon bro! Now if he and hit a 65yrd kick with tornado winds to give us the tie then that's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    funny he had the chance to win the Jville game for us too, then we wouldn't have to be sweating it out towards the end of the season with a stealers come from behind to snag the NFC north, he missed 2-3fgs that night in Jville which would have gotten us the game, Stover would have made those because Stover for years was our only offense. Fyi he suppose to make those kicks that his job, you don't get a pass because you did your job, c'mon bro! Now if he and hit a 65yrd kick with tornado winds to give us the tie then that's different.
    It takes a lot of gaul to COMPLETELY FABRICATE a story to support your case.

There is nothing in your post that is factually correct. Don't believe me? Look here http://www.pro-football-reference.co...1110240jax.htm

On the night you reference in Jacksonville, Cundiff attempted ONE (not 2-3) field goals. It was from 52 yards and he missed it. Had he made it, the Ravens still would have lost, since the final score was 12-7.

How many 52 yard FGs did Stover make when he was with us?

So I would suggest you "C'mon bro!" and try putting correct information down to support your posts instead of riding on someone using totally bogus info.

Blog Entries

It takes a lot of gaul to COMPLETELY FABRICATE a story to support your case.

There is nothing in your post that is factually correct. Don't believe me? Look here http://www.pro-football-reference.co...1110240jax.htm

On the night you reference in Jacksonville, Cundiff attempted ONE (not 2-3) field goals. It was from 52 yards and he missed it. Had he made it, the Ravens still would have lost, since the final score was 12-7.

So I would suggest you "C'mon bro!" and try putting correct information down to support your posts instead of riding on someone using totally bogus info.
    sorry i didnt have time to google that info bottom line is he still missed the FG had he had made that, that would have changed the offensive game plan instead of shooting for a TD to win a FG would have had us out of Jville with a win.. so we can agree Billy missed FGs and he missed the most important one of all, he lost his confidence and got beat ouy by a rookie, do i need facts for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens420 View Post
    This thread personifies how america has gone soft. You evidently cant hold millionaires accountable for doing their jobs. I know I have personally gone above and beyond in a few posts but honestly, billy cundiff got his appreciation from that big ass contract. If I screw the pooch at work and cost the company the big account, i am not going to think i deserve a pat on the back. He cashed the checks. The downside to being an NFL player when you cash in the millions of dollars means you have to face the music to the public when you don't do your job. He screwed the pooch badly and was paid millions to do it. ZERO SYMPATHY.
    I think you aren't comprehending the thread title much. It's an "appreciation" thread, not a 'you shouldn't have cut Billy' thread.

Just wishing him well on his accomplishments here. Nothing wrong with that, and no need to get deeply philosophical with either. He's gone. "I" appreciate him and I've moved on.

Why is this so hard for people to grasp? Skulls too thick or something?

To be fair, If he hit that FG earlier in the game, we are ahead 10-9, don't kick the onsides kick (and don't get the ball), and hand Jax another 3 points.

Not blaming that loss on Cundiff though...the offense as a whole just was absolutely awful all game long.

Blog Entries

Perhaps it was the Seattle game you were thinking of that he missed 2/3. Missed from 50(short) and 52 (wide right). Making those two would have put us in position to win the game. Then again if David Reed didn't have the fumblitis, Seattle probably wouldn't have won.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Perhaps it was the Seattle game you were thinking of that he missed 2/3. Missed from 50(short) and 52 (wide right). Making those two would have put us in position to win the game. Then again if David Reed didn't have the fumblitis, Seattle probably wouldn't have won.
    aah and yet that game too thanks Jay. Billy sucks balls period i appreciate his butt gone.

Blog Entries

just one. only 3 in his entire career, 2 of which came his first 3 years in the league.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    sorry i didnt have time to google that info bottom line is he still missed the FG had he had made that, that would have changed the offensive game plan instead of shooting for a TD to win a FG would have had us out of Jville with a win.. so we can agree Billy missed FGs and he missed the most important one of all, he lost hos confidence and got beat ouy by a rookie, do i need facts for that?
    Again, it was a 52 yarder. The success rate at that distance is below 50% league wide. Cundiff wasn't great last year, but the bulk of his misses were from outside of 50 yards, which are no sure thing. It's not as if he was missing easy FGs all year long.

The blame for the missed FG is split evenly with Cundiff and Harbaugh. Had Harbaugh called a timeout as any sensible coach would have done in that spot, the result would likely have been different. FG kicking is all about rhythm and preperation as much as it is the kick itself and Harbaugh stripped his kicker of his chance to have those two important elements present in that kick.

About 12-15 years ago when I was in college, I was an expert free throw shooter. I would shoot hundreds per week and was usually around 90-91% over a sample size of thousands of free throws. At times, I could make 50-60 in a row. My record was 119 in a row. It was all muscle memory. Even this day, I can still walk into a gym and hit about 82-85%. I had a certain sequence down in terms of how I would toe the free throw line, spin the ball, rotate it and grip it before shooting. It was that routine that made me so efficient at it. If you asked me, during my best stretches of free throw success, to run in from the bench, step up to the line and make a free throw without that preperation, I would have disappointed you as often as I made you happy. I had to be one of the best free throw shooters in the country and soon as you threw my rhtym and preperation off, I started to flail a bit.

My point? Had Cundiff's kick been under normal conditions and he missed it, I would permanently label him as a choker. However, when his coach interfered with two of his most fundamental elements of potential success, I remove a good chunk of the blame from the kicker. Had there been no timeout remaining, it would have been an unfortunate break, but having a timeout and still hanging your kicker out to dry like that is inexcusable. Kickers, more than any other type of athlete out there, are creatures of habits. I have a guess that more than one NFL kicker would have missed that kick if put in the same situation by their head coach.

I would guess Cundiff knows this. Perhaps that's why he wasn't so flowery when asked about his treatment by the Raven coaching staff. It was Harbaugh's mistake that partially contributed to him missing the biggest kick of his life, yet he's the villain. I'm actually happy with Tucker as our kicker. I wanted him to beat out Cundiff, but to badmouth the guy is wrong IMO. At least the Raven front office had some of the class that the coaching staff lacks and released him a week early to increase his chances of landing somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Seattle is probably one of the three worst places to kick, along with SF and PITT. Missing two long FGS in that atmosphere doesn't seem reason to rant on him.

Quote Originally Posted by burnwood View Post
    I think you aren't comprehending the thread title much. It's an "appreciation" thread, not a 'you shouldn't have cut Billy' thread.

Just wishing him well on his accomplishments here. Nothing wrong with that, and no need to get deeply philosophical with either. He's gone. "I" appreciate him and I've moved on.

I'm beginning to think that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by burnwood View Post

It's a message board, slick. We get to talk about Cundiff if we want without washing his testicles, no matter what the OP wanted. ;)
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.