Page 1 of 77 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Around the League

I"m hoping we can keep a thread on other teams while it's still a little slow.

Looks like Percy Harvin is out for the year after Seattle brought him in and gave him a $64M contract. Now it's being reported that the injury happened during off season workouts. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ason-workouts/

Broncos center Koppen also done for the year

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Re: Around the League

Also found this interesting... the NFL has already warned Chip Kelly about trying to run his offense 'too fast'

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...350207808.html

Maclin done for the year

Cowboys have lost damn near their whole D-Line

Jim Irsay decides, looking back, the Manning Era was kind of underachieving.

Only one Super Bowl win in Manning era disappointing to Jim Irsay

Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post

Considering how relentlessly people ride Peyton about his playoff failures, Irsay probably won't have many people disagree with him.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Interesting that Indy scouted and signed a rugby player from Africa who has never played a down of football. If it works out, you know other teams will follow suit

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soc...-rugby-nfl.ap/

Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post

Funniest line in this article:

To win more Lombardi Trophies, Irsay is trying to give Luck something Manning never really had: a solid run game and a strong defense.

When Peyton Manning came into the league, his RB was Marshall Faulk. He was replaced in year 2 or 3 by Edrrinn James who had several 1500yard plus rushing seasons. He was followed by Joseph Addai, who while he did dissapoint, had a couple 1000 yard seasons and was far from a bad RB. By that point Manning just figured it was easier to throw the ball than hand it off. As far as defenses go they were up and down, but in 2002,2005,2007,2008 and 2009 the Colts were in the top ten in points scored against. Were they the Ravens or Steelers? No but for several years they were definitely good enough and they were better as a unit than the Ravens had last year. They had several defensive units that were a lot better than either Rodgers or Brees had when they recently won Superbowls. Other than a 2007 loss duel with Phillip Rivers, in most of the Colts losses in the playoffs it was the offense that came up short. I know they got shut out by the Jets one year and crushed by the Patriots another. He was also lucky to win the field goal game against the Ravens, but he has held without a TD.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

R-title--
    Not to veer off your thread topic too much, but I'm interested in the link you posted about Philly's "hurry up" offense intentions, and the NFL's seeming counter to it - i.e., "We'll run things as WE see fit, screw Kelly".

IMHO, the NFL and the officials had better execute their LOS/ball placement with consistency, or we're going to find out quickly who the league really favors in terms of PR. Not saying the league is trying to fix games, but this bullshit about how they (the league, and not any given team) want to dictate the pace of the game (e.g., during placing of the ball/LOS for the offense, substitutions, etc.) is so much crap, in my book. Watch any game and you'll see the refs hurry up for one team's offense or the other like they have to take a dump to get the ball ready for play, while they take their sweet time when it comes to placement when the opponent has the ball. And I'll say I've seen this occur in the Ravens favor as well as not, so I don't mean to sound like a homer.

Blog Entries

Kelly will still be able to run his hurry up O, but it won't be as hurried as it was in college.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I"m hoping we can keep a thread on other teams while it's still a little slow.

Looks like Percy Harvin is out for the year after Seattle brought him in and gave him a $64M contract. Now it's being reported that the injury happened during off season workouts. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ason-workouts/

Broncos center Koppen also done for the year
    Supposedly Harvin will be back before the end of the season but we'll see

I feel bad for Koppen. He's a really good guy and the Broncos gave him a shot when no one else would. I doubt he comes back at age 34.

Koppen's had a great career, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Interesting that Indy scouted and signed a rugby player from Africa who has never played a down of football. If it works out, you know other teams will follow suit

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soc...-rugby-nfl.ap/
    Interesting. Most of those high level rugby players and Australian Rules Football players who make it in the NFL are punters. This guy is trying to become a linebacker. That's a pretty significant switch.