Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: A Spot on Article

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Very good read.

The one thing I don't quite get is why John Harbaugh would be living in a past that he wasn't a part of? Ozzie was there and was the architect of that roster. It makes sense for him. But why Harbaugh? His best success came with Joe Flacco playing his best football. That Super Bowl wasn't about defense. It was about great passing in the playoffs. You would think that would be the past that Harbaugh would want to recreate.
    Because he was reared to -and still does, worship at the altar of Bo Schembechler.

What's the point of a division title if you don't win playoff games?

The point of the division title is to be an advantage.

The Bengals consistently look good on paper and consistently don't live up to the paper attractiveness.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    What's the point of a division title if you don't win playoff games?

The point of the division title is to be an advantage.

The Bengals consistently look good on paper and consistently don't live up to the paper attractiveness.
    Dalton hasent face Pees in the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Dalton hasent face Pees in the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steelers have.... and lost. NE, DEN, IND, SF too.

We had basically unparalleled success with our first 5 years. weve been back down to earth the past 5. Its a hard pill for some to swallow, but were still better off than half the league over that span.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I'm not buying the article at all. We the fans know the 2000 defense was a once in a generation squad led by the greatest linebacker. It would be nearly impossible to recreate that. Does anyone really think Steve Bisciotti, Dick Cass, Ozzie Newsome and John Harbaugh don't know this either? These are smart people that didn't get to where they are by making stupid decisions.

Ozzie told us after the Super Bowl his goal was was to be strong up the middle on defense. That's a good strategy even in today's pass happy NFL. That would explain the Elam, B Williams, Mosely and Jernigan picks. Also, it's no secret this team has had it's season ended by poor secondary play and lack of pass rush. That would explain the Humphrey, Terrence Brooks, Kafusi, Correa, Z Smith, Bowser and Tim Williams picks.

I don't think Ozzie is trying to recreate the 2000 defense. I think he's trying to put together a respectable unit that can slow down pass happy teams with top tier receivers. Two are in our division with AJ Green and A Brown.

However, there's no doubt this has been at the expense of the offense - until you look a little further. The highest paid player on the team is the franchise QB, which is something the 2000 team never had. Last year's top pick was a tackle in Ronnie Stanley. Regardless of what era you play in, you need a solid LT. In 2015 Ozzie spends his first two picks on WR and TE and ends up getting burned. The 2000 team didn't have high draft picks at those positions.

It seems to me Ozzie is trying to create a balanced team with a little more investment in a strong D. The defense has been in the top 10, but its still can't close out games. The offense should have some play makers, but those picks didn't pan out. The issue isn't that Ozzie is living in the past, the issue is the failed draft picks and FA signings in Elam, A Brown, Perriman, Max Williams, Correa, Kafusi, Maclin, etc.
    I agree with you that they are not trying to recreate the 2000 team. However I will say that Ozzie is not trying to create a balanced team. If he took a Dline in the first round and the guy flamed out Ozzie would be right back at the well drafting another in first round the next year. We took Wormley this year. Ozzie is hell bent on having a great defense at the expense of the offense. Signing Bwill and Jefferson and picking through the scrap heap for Maclin is another example. Of the top 10 salary hits next year 7 of them are on defense with 3 of them on offense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    Over the last five years:

2013 - Bengals 11-5, AFC North; Out in the Wild Card Round against the Chargers 27-10.

2014 - Bengals 10-5-1, Wild Card; Out in the Wild Card Round against the Colts 26-10. Ravens 10-6, Wild Card; Beat the Steelers 30-17 in the WC Round and then lost in the Divisional Round 35-31 against the Patriots.

2015 - Bengals AFC North, 12-4; Out in the Wild Card Round against the Steelers 18-16.

2016 - They were 6-9-1.

2017 - They are 7-9.

Over five years, they have two AFC North Titles, one Wild Card and 0-3 in the Playoffs. Baltimore has one Wild Card and is 1-1 in the Playoffs.

Great roster building by the Bengals, for sure.
    Again, how many division titles has our team won during the same span?

Hint: rhymes with hero.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Mike Brown has zero Super Bowls and zero play off wins since at least 1996. Ozzie is crushing him in that department.
    This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. 40-40 club just ain't getting it done. If you and others want to continue to spend money on a mediocre product because you'd rather wax nostalgic then be my guest. Just don't get upset when you are in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Again, how many division titles has our team won during the same span?

Hint: rhymes with hero.
    Which means what ? Titles are worth just as much as One-and-done, or zero playoff wins.

If you look for a team that has a title and nothing else, then more power to you. I just do not consider that team (with such great roster building) any better than the Ravens. But that is me.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    Which means what ? Titles are worth just as much as One-and-done, or zero playoff wins.

If you look for a team that has a title and nothing else, then more power to you. I just do not consider that team (with such great roster building) any better than the Ravens. But that is me.
    40-40, zero division titles in the past 5 years. Half the league is better than us, Cincinnati included.

Oh, and they're 7-3 against us during the same span. That pretty much fulfills the definition of being better.

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    40-40, zero division titles in the past 5 years. Half the league is better than us, Cincinnati included.

Oh, and they're 7-3 against us during the same span. That pretty much fulfills the definition of being better.
    And one of those games we had Mallett as the starting QB. And they have missed the playoffs the last two years.

I still do not understand how their "roster building" is so superior.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Still makes me cringe when I see the Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts reference.

Reminds me of when I was in Canton when Bill Polian went in and the banner they were selling had his name along with all of the Baltimore Colts in the HOF under the Indianapolis Title.
    Captain Offense