Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: I was at the game yesterday, my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I think there's a difference between "get rid of Flacco" and "let's start trying to draft a replacement." Granted, I'm sure there are a lot of people blindly in the "get rid of Flacco camp," but I think it's reasonable to want to start thinking of the next QB. The sooner we start looking for a replacement, the sooner we're likely to find one worth building around. We're locked into Flacco being on the roster for 2018 and 2019. It'd be nice to have options come 2020.
    The problem is I don't really see the benefits in the modern era of "drafting and developing" a QB. I think if you're going to move on from Flacco, you do it, and you draft somebody in the 1st round and play him right away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    The problem is I don't really see the benefits in the modern era of "drafting and developing" a QB. I think if you're going to move on from Flacco, you do it, and you draft somebody in the 1st round and play him right away.
    KC is doing it right now. Green Bay did it to Aaron Rogers. If they drafted a QB high I’d think Joe still start the 2018 season but he’d have to play damn good, ala Alex Smith, to keep his job. That’s the perfect scenario to me if we are forced to draft that high, then Joe has the ability to go out and get a good final contract to finish off his career.

The absolute perfect scenario, yet again, is that Joe turns this ship around right now and we have a good season, which despite the stink around this board is still a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    KC is doing it right now. Green Bay did it to Aaron Rogers. If they drafted a QB high I’d think Joe still start the 2018 season but he’d have to play damn good, ala Alex Smith, to keep his job. That’s the perfect scenario to me if we are forced to draft that high, then Joe has the ability to go out and get a good final contract to finish off his career.

The absolute perfect scenario, yet again, is that Joe turns this ship around right now and we have a good season, which despite the stink around this board is still a possibility.
    1. The Aaron Rodgers example is basically the only one in the last like 15 years. You're talking a long time ago.
    2. KC is trying it... have zero idea if it will work out or not. If Mahomes isn't any good, then that decision accomplished nothing. Based on the way Alex Smith is playing right now, they look like a team that spent a first round pick on somebody to make their incumbent play better.

Blog Entries

1. The Aaron Rodgers example is basically the only one in the last like 15 years. You're talking a long time ago.
    2. KC is trying it... have zero idea if it will work out or not. If Mahomes isn't any good, then that decision accomplished nothing. Based on the way Alex Smith is playing right now, they look like a team that spent a first round pick on somebody to make their incumbent play better.
    Is your argument that if Joe continues to play like total dog shit and look lost as an NFL qb, you still gotta stick with him and not draft a replacement because of some arbritrary rule you have about how QBs gotta start in year 1?

But then here is the big question - if he is able to step up and improve as the season progresses, does it mean that any idea of transitioning from him in the foreseeable future is abandoned ? With his up-and-down performances and the significant injuries, is it safe to conclude that he is here for the long-term ?

If they look to move on at some point (a la, Favre in Green Bay), then they have to look for the replacement now. If they decide he has made enough progress, do they just keep kicking the can down the road ? They have placed themselves in a no-win situation with Mallett long term (or even short term) rather than develop a serious plan for the future. If Joe goes down, is there any real hope whether it is a rookie or Mallett ? And do you make the decision when there is nothing being done in the rest of the Offense ? It is not like they have an RB to take off the pressure like the Cowboys.
    Captain Offense

Is your argument that if Joe continues to play like total dog shit and look lost as an NFL qb, you still gotta stick with him and not draft a replacement because of some arbritrary rule you have about how QBs gotta start in year 1?
    Nope, my argument is if he continues to play like crap and the team sucks, you cut Joe after the 2018 season and you do what it takes to get the QB you want in the 2019 draft. And if you don't have a guy in the 2019 draft you think is worth it, then you sign a cheap veteran and basically tank, so you put yourself in a position to get the guy you want in a future draft without trading gigantic amounts of draft assets to do it.

Or I guess you can use like a 4th round pick on a QB next to draft and pray he develops into something, which is a very, very, very long shot. This will likely result in you not having a competent QB for longer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    But then here is the big question - if he is able to step up and improve as the season progresses, does it mean that any idea of transitioning from him in the foreseeable future is abandoned ? With his up-and-down performances and the significant injuries, is it safe to conclude that he is here for the long-term ?

If they look to move on at some point (a la, Favre in Green Bay), then they have to look for the replacement now. If they decide he has made enough progress, do they just keep kicking the can down the road ? They have placed themselves in a no-win situation with Mallett long term (or even short term) rather than develop a serious plan for the future. If Joe goes down, is there any real hope whether it is a rookie or Mallett ? And do you make the decision when there is nothing being done in the rest of the Offense ? It is not like they have an RB to take off the pressure like the Cowboys.
    I think if Joe turns this things around you draft a QB somewhere in the mid rounds in this draft so that you atleast have a plan B in case things go south. He’s at the age and injury prone enough to know we should have a competent backup plan.

Blog Entries

Nope, my argument is if he continues to play like crap and the team sucks, you cut Joe after the 2018 season and you do what it takes to get the QB you want in the 2019 draft. And if you don't have a guy in the 2019 draft you think is worth it, then you sign a cheap veteran and basically tank, so you put yourself in a position to get the guy you want in a future draft without trading gigantic amounts of draft assets to do it.

Or I guess you can use like a 4th round pick on a QB next to draft and pray he develops into something, which is a very, very, very long shot. This will likely result in you not having a competent QB for longer.
    Ya well if he continues to play like crap then this coaching staff is likely gone and I’m positive the new regime would want its own Qb. If we are in the position to take a Qb we like and we dont because we have Joe for 2018 then this team is no smarter than the Browns.

Ya well if he continues to play like crap then this coaching staff is likely gone and I’m positive the new regime would want its own Qb. If we are in the position to take a Qb we like and we dont because we have Joe for 2018 then this team is no smarter than the Browns.
    Highly unlikely you're getting in a position to get the QB you want just be W/L record anyway. As bad as we've looked, we're winning 5-6 games or more easily this season, which is going to put us outside the top 5 and likely outside the top 10 in draft stock once the season is over. Just not really getting a good QB in that spot most of the time, even with a quality draft class.

And ultimately we have no idea what a new regime will want. We've seen plenty of coaches get fired and inherit questionable QBs. Heck if Ozzie stays, it might be a prerequisite to a hire... must keep Joe and find a way to get talent around him.

Regardless, if you don't upgrade the offensive line in a big way, it won't matter who the QB is.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    I hope our next QB is Aaron Rodgers 2.0, but a part of me wants us to be fucked some people can start to realize how fucking good Joe was.
    Simple fact even Rodgers looked like ass when he lost an O LINE man for almost 2qtrs. He came back and Rodgers got time and picked apart the defense.Flacco has been lucky to see more than 3 seconds in the pocket on a consistent basis. The throw to Wallace was just over 3 seconds and it was the only place that ball could have been thrown.This town will be sorry when he is gone. Rodgers 2.0 dream on folks dream on. It will be more like STONEY CASE 1.5 lolAND WTF IS UP WITH THE WEBSITE PUSHING ALL THE CONTENT TOGETHER

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Highly unlikely you're getting in a position to get the QB you want just be W/L record anyway. As bad as we've looked, we're winning 5-6 games or more easily this season, which is going to put us outside the top 5 and likely outside the top 10 in draft stock once the season is over. Just not really getting a good QB in that spot most of the time, even with a quality draft class.

And ultimately we have no idea what a new regime will want. We've seen plenty of coaches get fired and inherit questionable QBs. Heck if Ozzie stays, it might be a prerequisite to a hire... must keep Joe and find a way to get talent around him.

Regardless, if you don't upgrade the offensive line in a big way, it won't matter who the QB is.
    ozzie needs to go if you want talent around any QB

Why wait though? Why not be open to taking one in 2018? If one you like doesn't fall to you (or close enough to trade up for) you know you'll be carrying Joe anyway and you get to try again in 2019. If you wait until 2019 to start, then there will be more pressure to reach. If you do have the patience to wait for next year, you've lost a year. Seems to me you should start sooner.

I wasn't trying to imply that we take a guy early to give him time to develop. I think we should start looking at QB sooner so we can have more opportunities to land one we like. Especially given how long it took us to find one worth building around before we got to Flacco.