Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 36373839 LastLast

Re: Baltimore Football's Greatest- Counting down the best to wear the numbers.

won't be long before they'll change #5.
    agree with #82 btw.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    won't be long before they'll change #5.
    agree with #82 btw.
    I love Ozzie, but I love Raymond Berry more. He is overshadowed because the game has changed so much, but when Berry retired he was the NFL's all-time leading receiver.

I also have a little problem with Mike Ditka over Gino Marchetti. But I wouldn't be a good homer if I wasn't pimping to have more than one Baltimore Colt on that roster.
    "Chin up, chest out."

NUMBER 3

Only one player has ever worn number 3 for the Ravens. And by all rights, only one player ever should: the Baltimore Ravens most dangerous offensive weapon for a decade, kicker Matt Stover.

An original Raven, Matt was already a five-year veteran when the team moved to Baltimore. He would stay in this city for thirteen years. Even as he entered his late 30s and his leg strength was no longer there, he was still automatic from inside 40 yards. In the decade from 1998 through 2007, Stover lined up from 40 yards or less 198 times. He missed 8 of them.

He was a Pro Bowler and All Pro on the 2000 Super Bowl squad. In fact, the team was able to go 2-3 through their five-game stretch without a touchdown largely because of Stover. He is number 6 on the all-time list of points scored. In spite of hanging on for three sub-par seasons at the end of his career, he is still in the top 20 all-time for accuracy.

As much as he gave on the field, he has given even more off the field to the city of Baltimore. A class act and Ring of Honor member, number 3, Matt Stover.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I love Ozzie, but I love Raymond Berry more. He is overshadowed because the game has changed so much, but when Berry retired he was the NFL's all-time leading receiver.

I also have a little problem with Mike Ditka over Gino Marchetti. But I wouldn't be a good homer if I wasn't pimping to have more than one Baltimore Colt on that roster.
    Mitchell & Ness Nostalgia Co., is an American sports clothing company located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

So interesting collection but it is a jersey selling company that made their list.

We can differ on a number of their selections, Berry is a nice starting point .....
    Jim Parker #77 and they choose Willie Roaf? I guess they needed a NO Saint and not a Bear (Red Grange)

#70 Jim Marshall over Art Donovan and Sam Huff?

https://books.google.com/books?id=o5...parker&f=false

#2 Matt Ryan over David Akers?
    6× Pro Bowl (2001, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2011)
    2× First-team All-Pro (2001, 2011)
    4× Second-team All-Pro (2002, 2004, 2009, 2010)
    2× NFC Champion (2004, 2012)
    PFW Golden Toe Award (2011)
    4× NFC Special Teams Player of the Month (Oct. 2007, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010, Dec. 2011)
    Philadelphia Eagles 75th Anniversary Team
    NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
    NFL season record for points scored by a kicker (166)
    NFL season record for field goals (44)
    Inducted into KY Pro Football HOF (2004)
    Was on Lions 2013 so not HOF eligible voting for 4 more years

Stallions #3
    3 Karl Anthony CB 5'9 175 Blinn CC; Missouri State no competition to Matt

Interesting note Stover finished his career in 2009 wearing #3 for Indy
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

NUMBER 2

Number 2 is a tight race. We will leave former backup Tyrod Taylor out of the conversation. While he filled the backup QB role for four seasons, he never actually got to play any meaningful minutes, thanks to the iron man on the depth chart in front of him.

So this comes down to quarterback versus kicker. The quarterback is the Ravens’ Anthony Wright. With both rookie Kyle Boller and backup Chris Redman injured in 2003, the Ravens turned to the undrafted journeyman out of South Carolina. Wright galvanized the team, particularly with an emotional comeback home win against the Seattle Seahawks – a game Wright won while his wife was giving birth. Wright led the team to a 5-1 record down the stretch, gaining the Ravens an unexpected playoff appearance. He lost the 2004 season to injury. He subbed for Boller again in 2005, but this time he was unable to recapture the magic, and after going 2-5 that year was let go as a free agent.

The kicker played for the Baltimore Colts from 1974 to 1979. Anton Hans Jorg “Toni” Linhart was an Austrian soccer star, having played for the national team in the World Cup. He also tried out for the Austrian Olympic ski team. He did not make his way to the NFL until he was in his thirties. At that time, physical fitness regimens were not common, especially among kickers. Toni led the Colts to pioneering methods of training. He made the Pro Bowl twice, and led the league in points in 1976. His greatest kick beat the Dolphins in the fog in sudden death in 1975, sending the Colts to the first of their three straight division titles. Linhart died young from cancer in 2013.

As valuable as Linhart was in stabilizing the kicking position for the 70’s Colts, Wright was even more valuable in stabilizing the Ravens franchise in 2003. That was a critical time for the young franchise. It had been blown up after the 2001 season, and the while the baby-faced 2002 team exceeded expectations, they still finished with a losing record. The team would not make the playoffs in 2004 or 2005 either. So it was that 2003 season that kept franchise expectations high, maintained a winning tradition, and laid the groundwork for the continued excellence we enjoy today. Wright also gave the 12,000 (or so) of us who hung around until the end of that November tilt with Seattle one of the greatest sports memories we will ever have. So for all of that, Anthony Wright is Baltimore football’s all-time number 2.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Please, young Ravens, someone pick 2 for your number. Anthony Wright was awful. We've got to be able to do better. Yikes.

Hopefully next year. This year's number 2 is Matt Schaub.

8. Re: Baltimore Football's Greatest- Counting down the best to wear the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    NUMBER 2

[Linhart's] greatest kick beat the Dolphins in the fog in sudden death in 1975, sending the Colts to the first of their three straight division titles. Linhart died young from cancer in 2013.

Wright also gave the 12,000 (or so) of us who hung around until the end of that November tilt with Seattle one of the greatest sports memories we will ever have. So for all of that, Anthony Wright is Baltimore football’s all-time number 2.
    I wonder if there is anybody on the board who was at (and stayed till the end) ;) for both the Game in the Fog and the comeback vs Seattle.

Hot, I'm not going to argue your excellent points too much, but I kind of thought Linhart was a much better kicker than Wright was a QB, and (sans the Seattle game) much more clutch. However, you're right they are both very close in importance to their respective franchises at the time that they played.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I wonder if there is anybody on the board who was at (and stayed till the end) ;) for both the Game in the Fog and the comeback vs Seattle.

Hot, I'm not going to argue your excellent points too much, but I kind of thought Linhart was a much better kicker than Wright was a QB, and (sans the Seattle game) much more clutch. However, you're right they are both very close in importance to their respective franchises at the time that they played.
    While I wasn't at the Fog Game, I remember going to the back door, opening it, and being able to hear the crowd cheering after that kick. We lived in Hamilton, and as the crow flies, the stadium wasn't all that far away. Eerie but way cool.

I was at the Seattle game with Dan, and I remember him yelling at fans to stick around for the end (and ragging on those that did not :) ). It was chilly and many fans were headed towards the exits. We stayed put and were well rewarded.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

10. Re: Baltimore Football's Greatest- Counting down the best to wear the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    While I wasn't at the Fog Game, I remember going to the back door, opening it, and being able to hear the crowd cheering after that kick. We lived in Hamilton, and as the crow flies, the stadium wasn't all that far away. Eerie but way cool.
    That is one of the reasons why we started doing the R-A-V-E-N-S cheers back in '96. In the 70's & 80's (if we weren't at the game itself) we could step outside and hear Big Wheel and 50,000 screaming maniacs chant C-O-L-T-S clear as a bell from 3 miles away. What a unifying effect that had, and still does.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

2 Robert Drummond RB 6'1 205 Syracuse

Robert Drummond (born June 21, 1967 in Syracuse, New York) is a former gridiron football running back. Drummond played American football for the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League between 1989 and 1991,[1] before playing in the Canadian Football League from 1994[2] to 2002. He won four Grey Cups, in 1995, 1996, 1997, and 2000.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert...iron_football)

Drummond is just what the CFL likes, a combination player who can run out of the backfield or play as a slot receiver. An upright runner, he's strong, with a slashing style, difficult to tackle and in the playoff with the Toronto Argonauts scored two touchdowns, had two others called back and gained over 100 yards. Not bad for a pickup.

Drummond flattened two tacklers with a powerful stiff arm, a weapon not too many running backs bother to use any more. He lifted the pressure off the offense because of the injury to Mike Pringle.
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...-matthews-popp

Toni Linhart aka Anton Hans Jörg that deserves #1 :D
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old