Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT - 2 explosions at finish line of Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I noticed the NYPost's version is wildly different (worse) than other news outlets in terms of the number killed and that there is a Saudi suspect in custody.

Has any reputable news outlet stated that there is a suspect in custody, other than referencing NYP?
    CNN latest said...

Investigators have warned law enforcement officers to be on the lookout for a "darker-skinned or black male" with a possible foreign accent in connection with Monday's bombings at the Boston Marathon, according to a law enforcement advisory obtained by CNN.

The man was seen with a black backpack and sweatshirt and was trying to get into a restricted area about five minutes before the first explosion, the lookout notice states.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by inexplicable View Post
    Please can everyone stop speculating with theories, possible motives and amateur intelligence analysis? It's only been a few hours since the explosions and we simply don't know who/what/why. This isn't a criticism of anyone in particular on this board, it's just exasperating to see all this speculation (based on zero evidence) on facebook and twitter etc when we should be focusing on the victims.
    The same thing happened after Oklahoma City. Everyone was wrong, and innocent Americans were attacked because of their ancestry. Let's give law enforcement some time to get it right.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

49 runners and their families were from Baltimore. One guy was describing it on TV -13.

Baltimore is beefing up security down town and other places like APG. Man, it's gonna take an hour to get thru the gate tomorrow. You should have seen it after 9/11.

They had machine gun nests by the gates and closed all of them down but one.

The Prez is supposed to be coming here so more the reasons for beefed up security.

Blog Entries

A Saudi national about 29 is said to be a suspect in the bombing.

Blog Entries

The Prez refused to use the word "terror" in the attack although his federal investigators have.

Denise Koch just said no group has come foreward to claim responsibility.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ngs/?hpt=hp_t1

I am enraged. I hope the people who planned, authorized, carried out, or participated in this plot in any form or fashion are found swiftly and dispatched with extreme prejudice.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    A Saudi national about 29 is said to be a suspect in the bombing.
    I read he's a person of interest and cooperating and denying involvement. (Assuming we're talking about the same guy. )
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Yea, "person of interest" was the first term I heard around 5 pm and later this evening I
    heard the word "suspect."

Interesting.

Binny was a Saudi too born in Riyahd so maybe from the same network or contacts thereof?

I was visiting my mom in her assistance living apartment and she only has a 20" TV screen
    and I could hardly see the crowd in front of the explosion.

When I got back to the condo to my 50 incher it was more clear and just horrific to look at.

I'm no bomb expert but it looked like the explosion went straight up instead of up and out.
    It went out some but tons more would have been killed had it gone further out.

Whatever, this isn't going to be a good time to be a Muslim in the US.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-16-2013 at 03:30 AM.

The London Marathon is the coming weekend and security is being seriously upgraded, unsurprisingly. Reassuring for me as I have a couple of friends running it.

The whole thing just stuns me, especially seeing as this was a largely charity event, with 100's of charities benefitting, for all different facets of life. Fortunately in the aftermath of such a tragedy, we often see the best of humanity. The emergency services and other bystanders rushing towards the carnage to help the wounded does give you a bit of hope that there's still some goodness in the human race.

Blog Entries

Yea, "person of interest" was the first term I heard around 5 pm and later this evening I
    heard the word "suspect."

Interesting.

Binny was a Saudi too born in Riyahd so maybe from the same network or contacts thereof?

I was visiting my mom in her assistance living apartment and she only has a 20" TV screen
    and I could hardly see the crowd in front of the explosion.

When I got back to the condo to my 50 incher it was more clear and just horrific to look at.

I'm no bomb expert but it looked like the explosion went straight up instead of up and out.

As of this morning he is no longer a suspect. They did investigate an apartment in Revere but aren't saying why or who it's tied to.

Even if a Muslim wasn't responsible. Just like OkC. Tim McVeigh was white as the driven snow, but lots of people saw "Arab-looking" people driving away after the attack.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

The phrase I heard used to describe the device was "crudely built".

It's apparently human nature now to use people's own prejudices/leanings to determine who "likely" is behind the attack. Like I said earlier, I know someone on FB who kept posting (then deleting because people were railing on him) about how he was CERTAIN this was a right-wing group coming out on Tax Day to make a big statement, and how all the mid-April attacks always seem to be centered on these right wingers. It wouldn't shock you to learn he is the most left-leaning liberal I know, right? I didn't see it, but I heard several people on twitter mentioning some pretty terrible accusations being made in the wake of the attack, so I would guess there was some knee jerk reactions about possible suspects and lots of generalization going on.

Just a shame really. We should've learned by now...the first reports you hear are usually not anywhere close to 100% accurate, you really need 5-7 days before the majority of the facts are known to the public. The authorities might know something, but not be willing to share it yet in hopes they can act on it before someone flees.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!