Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Baltimore's Mt. Rushmore.

I LOVED Brooks! But I feel an 8 time 20(+) win pitcher gets the nod over him. Pencil in Jim Palmer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    I LOVED Brooks! But I feel an 8 time 20(+) win pitcher gets the nod over him. Pencil in Jim Palmer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I love Jim. But I feel a 16-time Gold Glover, 18-time All Star, league MVP who spent 23 seasons in the same uniform and retired leading the conversation for greatest third baseman in the history of baseball -- not to mention being one of the finest human beings to ever grace the sports world -- goes on the Mount.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

The only debate on that Mt. Rushmore is going to be Brooks or Cal. The older crowd will go for Brooks and the younger crowd will more than likely favor Cal, because they really didn't get to see Brooks in all of his greatness. Just heard legend about his glove. Those who know me say that I'm 30 going on 60, so I usually side with the old timers. Brooks for me.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The only debate on that Mt. Rushmore is going to be Brooks or Cal. The older crowd will go for Brooks and the younger crowd will more than likely favor Cal, because they really didn't get to see Brooks in all of his greatness. Just heard legend about his glove. Those who know me say that I'm 30 going on 60, so I usually side with the old timers. Brooks for me.
    Cal is head and shoulders better any other Oriole aside from Frank Robinson, who I think most would agree is tough to include in this list because he only spent 6 seasons in Baltimore.

Brooks is a great player, obviously a defensive legend, but to put up 268 homers in 23 seasons and hit a mediocre .268/.322/.401 for his career is not that impressive from an offensive standpoint. Cal was a great defender and hitter, and pretty much redefined the shortstop position.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    Cal is head and shoulders better any other Oriole aside from Frank Robinson, who I think most would agree is tough to include in this list because he only spent 6 seasons in Baltimore.

Brooks is a great player, obviously a defensive legend, but to put up 268 homers in 23 seasons and hit a mediocre .268/.322/.401 for his career is not that impressive from an offensive standpoint. Cal was a great defender and hitter, and pretty much redefined the shortstop position.
    Disagree about Cal. He was a solid player but his longevity is what separated him from other Oriole players. Cal had some great years but Eddie Murray, Jim Palmer were better players than Cal.

Brooks was so much more than his stats. He was clutch at the plate. His range and reaction were extraordinary. Cal redefined the position because of his size, Brooks was and still is the gold standard as it pertains to corner infield defense. The last few years of his career dragged his average below 270. In addition, Brooks was a fixture in the community. Cal is certainly a great Oriole and he belongs on Bawlmere Rushmore but not at the expense of number 5.

Blog Entries

Ray, Brooks, Johnny U, Cal

All because they represented "Baltimore"
    Phelps may be from Baltimore but he is team Phelps.
    Give him a statue or some other stand-alone recognition for being from the city, but not Bawlmer Rushmore.

Quote Originally Posted by beavery View Post
    Disagree about Cal. He was a solid player but his longevity is what separated him from other Oriole players. Cal had some great years but Eddie Murray, Jim Palmer were better players than Cal.

Brooks was so much more than his stats. He was clutch at the plate. His range and reaction were extraordinary. Cal redefined the position because of his size, Brooks was and still is the gold standard as it pertains to corner infield defense. The last few years of his career dragged his average below 270. In addition, Brooks was a fixture in the community. Cal is certainly a great Oriole and he belongs on Bawlmere Rushmore but not at the expense of number 5.
    In terms of career WAR (Wins Above Replacement), Cal (95.5) crushes Murray (68.3) and Palmer (69.4). Brooks is slightly closer at (78.4). But looking at Brooks's "clutch" stats, there is no evidence whatsoever that he performed better in clutch situations.

And if Cal is only a "solid player", how'd he end up with 2 MVP awards?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    In terms of career WAR (Wins Above Replacement), Cal (95.5) crushes Murray (68.3) and Palmer (69.4). Brooks is slightly closer at (78.4). But looking at Brooks's "clutch" stats, there is no evidence whatsoever that he performed better in clutch situations.

And if Cal is only a "solid player", how'd he end up with 2 MVP awards?
    Keep on, Brooks is gonna snatch you up in his vacuum glove when he hears about this.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore