Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Blow it all Up!

Re: Blow it all Up!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Only if 9-7 means a playoff appearance. I think the Bisciotti at the State of the Ravens presser made things perfectly clear that it's playoffs or bust (minus the ever present injury plagued season caveat).

Anything short of the playoffs and he's fired.
    Hmm. I listened to the same State of the Ravens, and Bisciotti said he was not going to put any specific criteria on it. He's going to evaluate what happens and how it happens in context. Which is what a good leader should do.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Hmm. I listened to the same State of the Ravens, and Bisciotti said he was not going to put any specific criteria on it. He's going to evaluate what happens and how it happens in context. Which is what a good leader should do.
    I agree he said that and within the context of the presser, that meant IMO the uncontrollable things like a repeat of 2015 and the injury bug.

Bisciotti also put quite a fine point on it for Harbs and Ozzie that they were on the hot seat. Many people here commented on the same thing as we watched the presser live.

Why on gods green earth would we get rid of Jimmy Smith. Makes no sense

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I agree he said that and within the context of the presser, that meant IMO the uncontrollable things like a repeat of 2015 and the injury bug.

Bisciotti also put quite a fine point on it for Harbs and Ozzie that they were on the hot seat. Many people here commented on the same thing as we watched the presser live.
    That was about as indirect of a "you're on the hot seat" as I've ever seen.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

None of us know what Bisciotti really meant. Nor do we have any insight as to what has happened between Bisciotti and Harbs since then. I will add this to the discussion: in 20 years of varied management roles I did learn at least the basics and one of them is, "Good managers set 'stretch goals' for their people. IF Bisciotti follows that line of thought, then he has told Harbs, "playoffs or layoffs."
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

I do not want an owner who says, "Playoffs or you're fired." I don't want an owner who says, "Playoffs or you have to fire your staff."

I want an owner who makes decisions when they need to be made. Of course we all know that missing the playoffs three years out of four is not acceptable. Four years out of five would be less acceptable. But good managers understand contexts. If Joe Flacco goes down week 1, then that's a different context. If we go 11-5 and miss the playoffs, then that's a different context. If we win nine games via blowouts, and lose seven games on bad calls, crazy ball-bounces, etc., then that's a different context.

There is absolutely zero reason for Steve Bisciotti to stand up and make a decision right now that he does not need to make for another 11 months. Like it or not, the coaching staff is in place for 2017. And when 2017 is over, Steve can make decisions about 2018 like a good, smart, competent owner, and UNLIKE the owners who paint themselves into a corner and end up regretting it.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

I was one of the few that viewed that presser as an eyeroller 'tell the fans what they want to hear to appease them' event. Much ado about nothing IMO.

Biscuit is not Harb's manager, he owns the team. He'll make decisions when situations deem needed but I think he is very patient.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

"The Baltimore Ravens can double their current salary-cap room before free agency begins March 9.

The Ravens just need to make their biggest cap purge in 15 years to do so.

Baltimore, which currently has $15.3 million in cap room (fifth-fewest in the NFL), can create an additional $20.3 million in space with a half-dozen moves. The Ravens would need to cut linebacker Elvis Dumervil ($6 million in savings), safety Lardarius Webb ($5.5 million), cornerback Shareece Wright ($2.6 million), center Jeremy Zuttah ($2.3 million), cornerback Kyle Arrington ($2.1 million) and safety Kendrick Lewis ($1.8 million)."

I would cut Dumervil ($6 million in savings), Wright ($2.6 million), Zuttah ($2.3 million), Arrington ($2.1 million) and Lewis ($1.8 million) to give us $14.8M in savings. Webb was productive last year. I'd keep him, at least for now. Maybe if they end up with a safety in the draft you cut him over the summer. I'd also cut Watson ($3 million) and Pitta ($3.3 million) for a total of $21.1M in savings against the cap. Add that to the existing $15 million and you have plenty of money to sign some value FA's to fill holes and sign your EFAs, RFAs, UDFA's, and rookie draft picks.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I would cut Dumervil ($6 million in savings), Wright ($2.6 million), Zuttah ($2.3 million), Arrington ($2.1 million) and Lewis ($1.8 million) to give us $14.8M in savings. Webb was productive last year. I'd keep him, at least for now. Maybe if they end up with a safety in the draft you cut him over the summer. I'd also cut Watson ($3 million) and Pitta ($3.3 million) for a total of $21.1M in savings against the cap. Add that to the existing $15 million and you have plenty of money to sign some value FA's to fill holes and sign your EFAs, RFAs, UDFA's, and rookie draft picks.
    esmd, I like your way of thinking The only thing I'd disagree with (please don't hate me fellas) is cutting Zuttah. At least not until a competent Center is found to replace him. Unfortunately, neither Urschel or Jensen could unseat him... Bc

Keep in mind that the present $15M is before RFA/ERFA tenders and other adjustments are factored in. Depending on who they tender, that $15M is likely to drop to more like $5-8M.

They can still, obviously, create that kind of additional Cap space if they want, but as usual, Hensley is missing some details.

For a more detailed breakdown: http://russellstreetreport.com/2016/...eason-preview/
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 02-20-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    Let them all walk. We need to clear the deck and get younger. In 2002 we cleaned house and finished 7-9. Next year we were division champs. Only cat I would keep is Sizzle. Rest of them can hit the bricks! Sink or swim with the youngens!
    ie. The Browns plan!