Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2526272829 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: For us young guys: compare Bert Jones to Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Who knows? Bert Jones may have been better on a better team. From what I understand from the old timers, by the time Bert Jones was the man there, most of the talent had left or was past their prime, so he didn't have much to work with.
    He carried the team to three division titles and won a league MVP. Two "All Time" teams- the Raiders and Steelers of the '70s- are what kept him out of the Super Bowl.

The attempt to knock Flacco by negatively comparing him to Jones is stupid, but there's no reason to discount that Jones was a helluva QB in his day, and if anyone thinks getting injured is somehow a knock on someone's toughness they're...well, I won't say it. But I wonder if they'd say the same sort of thing about a soldier who gets hit by an IED.

2. Re: For us young guys: compare Bert Jones to Joe Flacco

I'm not quite old enough to have seen Bert Jones play so that's why I haven't commented on whether or not he was as great as some have said. But to me his career ended before it could really begin because of that shoulder injury. So compared to Flacco's career, his is largely an unknown. And I don't see how you can rationally compare an unknown to a known. That's like believing Terrell Davis, Priest Holmes and Gale Sayers belong among the top pantheon of RBs, because although they had shortened careers they still had monster seasons. To me, Bert had one of the best regular seasons ever, far better than any Joe's had yet. But Joe had one of the greatest post seasons ever, which Bert never came close to matching, even in his MVP year. Between the difference in eras, longevity, and on what stage they had their finest moments, I don't see how you can rationally compare the two.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    I'm not quite old enough to have seen Bert Jones play so that's why I haven't commented on whether or not he was as great as some have said. But to me his career ended before it could really begin because of that shoulder injury. So compared to Flacco's career, his is largely an unknown. And I don't see how you can rationally compare an unknown to a known. That's like believing Terrell Davis, Priest Holmes and Gale Sayers belong among the top pantheon of RBs, because although they had shortened careers they still had monster seasons. To me, Bert had one of the best regular seasons ever, far better than any Joe's had yet. But Joe had one of the greatest post seasons ever, which Bert never came close to matching, even in his MVP year.
    As pointed out earlier Joe wouldn't have won those POs either, not with the defense
    giving up 77 points in 2 games. Bert didn't have the Ravens top rated defense - ever.
    After Bert's injury the team's fortunes dropped and was then moved.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-20-2015 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    As pointed out earlier Joe wouldn't have won those POs either, not with the defense
    giving up 77 points in 2 games. Bert didn't have the Ravens top rated defense - ever.
    After Bert's injury the team's fortunes dropped and was then moved.
    Berts defenses might've given up 77 points in the playoffs, but he wasn't sinless either. He threw 1 TD and 2 picks in the playoffs and never completed more than 54.5% of passes. His playoff performances don't hold a candle to Joes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Berts defenses might've given up 77 points in the playoffs, but he wasn't sinless either. He threw 1 TD and 2 picks in the playoffs and never completed more than 54.5% of passes. His playoff performances don't hold a candle to Joes.
    Bert would have never played games like his: example against Houston last year bottom , and thats not the first time Flacco played very bad. He's way to inconsistent in his play and leadership skills i.e has none. He's like a programmable robot that follows the script very good sometimes ,and lots of other times he's like lost with his famous deer in the head light look; he looks scared or very unsure of his play!

Houston game last year This is absolutely pathetic even into todays Arena League NFL Flacco threw incompletion's on 17 of his first 20 passes. He was intercepted three times, all of which came deep in Ravens' territory. This led to a nightmare first half, when he completed 3 of 18 passes for 27 yards and two interceptions. Flacco's 16.7 completion rate was the worst completion rate in a half in his career and the worst in a half for any quarterback this season (minimum 10 attempts), according to ESPN Stats & Information. There is NO WAY this guy is even close to being as good as a QB as Bert Jones. If you think so, you don't know anything about the position of QB in the NFL ,or when it was the real NFL. He wouldn't make a pimple on Bert Jones ass!

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ra...-possible-time

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe View Post
    Bert would have never played games like his: example against Houston last year bottom , and thats not the first time Flacco played very bad. He's way to inconsistent in his play and leadership skills i.e has none. He's like a programmable robot that follows the script very good sometimes ,and lots of other times he's like lost with his famous deer in the head light look; he looks scared or very unsure of his play!

Houston game last year This is absolutely pathetic even into todays Arena League NFL Flacco threw incompletion's on 17 of his first 20 passes. He was intercepted three times, all of which came deep in Ravens' territory. This led to a nightmare first half, when he completed 3 of 18 passes for 27 yards and two interceptions. Flacco's 16.7 completion rate was the worst completion rate in a half in his career and the worst in a half for any quarterback this season (minimum 10 attempts), according to ESPN Stats & Information. There is NO WAY this guy is even close to being as good as a QB as Bert Jones. If you think so, you don't know anything about the position of QB in the NFL ,or when it was the real NFL. He wouldn't make a pimple on Bert Jones ass!

http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/post/
    These are Bert Jones' postseason statistics for the three times he made it to the big dance in his career. He was awful. Joe is a postseason hero. Sure he might have some awful games, but they're few and far between and not in the postseason, where Ol' Bert here seems to have saved his worst for the postseason. In short: Joe is a postseason hero, Bert is a postseason choker.

You are so fixated on this game, yet last year was Joe's best season and we made the playoffs, sooo...

So you prefer a Qb who sucks in the playoffs?

Tom brady sucks because he had a QBR of 11 against the cheifs last year, 32% passing , and he was BENCHED

Peyton Manning‘s worst game came in November 2007 against the Chargers. He threw for 328 yards and 2 touchdowns, but that came on 58 dropbacks and with six interceptions

So Flacco, Peyton, Brady, Marino, Elway and essentially every QB ever suck using your logic....

Blog Entries

You mean like the game Bert Jones had against the Patriots in 1977 when he went 6 for 18 for 64 yards and no TDs? How about the game in 1980 against the Lions when Jones went 9 for 17 for 150 yard 0 TDs and 3 Ints? There's a bunch more too if you want to look

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...eBe00/gamelog/

Any QB you look at who has played for years is going to have some really bad games. That's why you have to look at what they've accomplished over a career and in the playoffs and not just individual games.

10. Re: For us young guys: compare Bert Jones to Joe Flacco

As bad as Joe was against Houston, your guy wasn't much better oftentimes against New England or Buffalo; a few times he was actually worse. He even had a game in his MVP season that was worse than Joe's Texans' game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...g//?opp_id=nwe
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...g//?opp_id=buf

Face it, even good QBs will have bad games every now and then.
    If Joe was as inconsistent as you make him out to be (in your mind) then the Ravens would not have reached the playoffs 6 out of his 7 seasons. Heck, under Joe they came within a strained MCL of possibly making it 7 out of 7.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/post/
    These are Bert Jones' postseason statistics for the three times he made it to the big dance in his career. He was awful. Joe is a postseason hero. Sure he might have some awful games, but they're few and far between and not in the postseason, where Ol' Bert here seems to have saved his worst for the postseason. In short: Joe is a postseason hero, Bert is a postseason choker.
    Joe's stats after his first three post season appearances were just as bad, if not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Joe's stats after his first three post season appearances were just as bad, if not worse.
    But then he got better. Bert never did.