Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: The Suggs penalty

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Seems that the 5 vs 15 penalty does apply, but it still strikes as it coming down the inability of the officiating crew to whistle a play dead. It'd seem that if it occurs, the 5 vs 15 does apply, but if the officiating crew does their job the 15 yard penalty shouldn't have a chance to occur.
    It would seem to me, with a false start and a personal foul, they are *both* dead ball fouls, for different reasons. But a false start should not preclude a subsequent penalty on the same play that would be in the class of personal fouls.

Obviously the call was complete bullshit; I'm just trying to respond to this one point you're making.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

2. Re: The Suggs penalty

Once the flag was thrown they needed to blow the play dead. They did not and you had the stupidity unfold.

If they make the right call the game is over.

I have never seen them let a play continue after a false start. Regardless of what happens, they always whistle the play dead. Now, I didn't see the Suggs hit, but these refs are clearly either on dope or in on the whole thing. Now I know how SD fans feel

Quote Originally Posted by RavensInBrazil View Post
    I have never seen them let a play continue after a false start. Regardless of what happens, they always whistle the play dead. Now, I didn't see the Suggs hit, but these refs are clearly either on dope or in on the whole thing. Now I know how SD fans feel
    I see plenty of plays "happen" after a false start, or rather the scorer notes them down but they're usually run plays and they stop quickly. However the play doesn't actually "happen", in these cases the head linesman or the side judge (think I've got the right officials there) are usually running in from the sideline signalling for a clock stoppage to call the dead ball foul and the play just goes through because they couldn't hear the whistle. But until this play yesterday and the same on Monday night against the Steelers I don't think I've ever seen them not even attempt to whistle a false start as dead.

How many plays were there between the penalty and the final TD?

Some perspective on the penalty. While it was a 100% momentum killer, it wasnt the end of the game and NOTHING like what happened to SD.

Supremely bad call? YES!

Cost us the game? Not by a long shot.

Our D still had a chance to stop them and they didnt.

That was absolute bullshit. The penalty should never have been called because the play never should have been run, and for the SIMPLE FACT THAT HE DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH HIS HELMET. FUCK THE REF'S! I am so tired of them fucking games up, they should have there game checks taken away when they ruin the game!
    Agreed!!! I was like what the fuck!!!
    Former Season ticket holder from 1996 to 2016

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Some perspective on the penalty. While it was a 100% momentum killer, it wasnt the end of the game and NOTHING like what happened to SD.

Supremely bad call? YES!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    It makes perfect sense to me to allow personal foul penalties to be called on dead plays. Otherwise you're saying Suggs could have picked up the QB and broken him over one knee and not get a flag because "the play was dead".
    Seems the refs of our game had not problem letting the Titans slam Flacco to the ground on an earlier encroachment penalty!!!! If your going to miss the call once, don't call it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Supremely bad call? YES!

Agree 100%. That being said, it still stings, though. No only that, but I was at the game and Trevor Pryce was held twice on that drive alone and not once was it called. I'm just so sick of the refs input (or lack thereof) in games.

But the D had 65 more yards to stop them and they didn't.
    Waiting for the next one!!!

In general (and against both teams, to be fair) this was the worst officiated game we've seen this season.

Oh well, time to go play the Colts.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I can hear it already:

"Personal foul unnecessary roughness, breathing on St. Peyton, 15 yd. penalty, automatic 1st down."
    Lady Raven (aka Slinky)

*the poster formerly known as Raven31

Save The Last Dance (1/6/2013) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZbWHjyqJY

Mile High Miracle (1/12/2013) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ugOF34jhA

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    It makes perfect sense to me to allow personal foul penalties to be called on dead plays. Otherwise you're saying Suggs could have picked up the QB and broken him over one knee and not get a flag because "the play was dead".

My problem with the call is that THEY BLEW IT. He didn't touch the QB's helmet, his hand came down on Collins' shoulderpad. Just a miserable miserable call.

I was flipping channels and every commentator I heard (ESPN, NFL network) agreed it was a bogus call.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)