Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Listing of Vet Free Agent Kick/Punt Returners

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...tion=WR&y=2012

It's pretty thin, but there are guys there that could be of interest. Frankly, I think Asa Jackson will prove to be more than enough, but for conversation's sake...

Patrick Crayton
    Johnnie Lee Higgins
    Stefan Logan
    Chansi Stuckey
    Justin Forsett
    Mewelde Moore
    Jim Leonhard

So, it's really slim pickings anyway. Out of those guys Crayton or Logan are probably the most accomplished punt/kick returners.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Listing of Vet Free Agent Kick/Punt Returners

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...tion=WR&y=2012

It's pretty thin, but there are guys there that could be of interest. Frankly, I think Asa Jackson will prove to be more than enough, but for conversation's sake...

Patrick Crayton
    Johnnie Lee Higgins
    Stefan Logan
    Chansi Stuckey
    Justin Forsett
    Mewelde Moore
    Jim Leonhard

So, it's really slim pickings anyway. Out of those guys Crayton or Logan are probably the most accomplished punt/kick returners.
    Couldnt hurt to add competition, the names that stand out for me would be Logan but he's tiny and doesnt offer anything else. Forsett if he'd come on the cheap would be a nice for kick returns, with Asa Jackson on punts.

Blog Entries

How healthy is Leonhard? He'd be solid depth at S, if he's healthy. I am not really interested in any of the others. Mainly because I don't think they upgrade our depth any where else.

Blog Entries

I don't think Leonhard is healthy otherwise I think the Jets would have re-signed him.

Leonhard was facing a 4-6 month recovery time from his injury, which was in December. There's no way he's 100% at this point, and neither he nor any teams probably want to get into real contract talks until he's closer to 100%. Barring any setbacks, I would imagine he should be ready for opening day to whomever signs him.

I think the Ravens should be interested, but he won't start for us this year, so he might not be interested in a part-time role. I was very high on him when he was here. Long-term, he would be the best insurance available behind Reed and Pollard, both of whom are FAs next year, and only 1 of whom is probably going to be coming back. He's got the coverage ability to hold down the fort at FS for a few years and we know he's proven at SS as well.

I don't know that the Ravens actually WILL be interested, but I can tell you I definitely am.

Blog Entries

Honestly, barring any unforeseen injuries or interesting cuts (Eric Weems maybe?) I don't think the Ravens really bring in anyone and go with what they've got.

Stefan Logan is the best of that bunch. Pretty explosive. Trusting Asa a rookie from Cal Poly to the NFL returning kicks is a bit of a jump. That's risky.

I'm more interested in a list of free agent Kickers
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Leonhard, coming of ACL injury to return punts? No way no how. Takes a year sometimes 2 to be normal again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post
    I'm more interested in a list of free agent Kickers
    That's a really poor sampling as well right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Leonhard, coming of ACL injury to return punts? No way no how. Takes a year sometimes 2 to be normal again.
    It wasn't an ACL, it was a patellar tendon. Totally different injury, different recovery process. Leonhard still might not be 100% for a while yet, I was moreso jumping off on him as a player in general rather than specifically as a punt returner.

The Ravens added guys in the draft that they will lean on to contribute on STs and that includes in the return game. That is par for the course for them, they've frequently used rookies as returners (Reed in 2010, Webb in 2009, etc.) It's just not that big of a deal.

The other thing to consider is that Harbaugh, Ozzie, etc. have all said that they really don't feel Webb returning a few punts here and there is that big a deal. They've done it in the past and they very well may do it again. I'm not saying I would support that, but it might be what they do.

Johnny Lee wouldn't be a terrible option. Decent deep threat as well. Ridiculously fast (ex raider)