Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

The next head coach will be allowed to make some big personnel moves. In the past the next guy would be here to 'fix' Joe Flacco. Now I think he will be able to remake the team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I recall Steve Bisciotti saying he always wanted to stay competitive. Well, no doubt the Ravens have meaningful games in December every year. I think this is why they spend up to the cap. But I'd be all for a purge and a down year or two to get the cap under control. They can't survive like this. They are up against the cap and aren't paying any super stars except for Yanda who know ones who he is.
    I don't disagree, but the question still remains "would we allocate that extra cap money wisely?"
    Lately, even with limited cap $ to spend, that doesn't seem to be the case... Bc

Blog Entries

I’m hoping for a streak of upcoming winning seasons with the group we have now but if that doesn’t come to fruition this year I would think the purge starts next offseason. Joe can be cut, Suggs would retire, Jimmy can be cut, Weddle gone. If we have a bad season and the coaching staff is fired I would heavily bet on all those moves happening. Hell even Brandon williams can be cut post June 1 if you really wanna purge everyone.

How did the Steelers retool their franchise from mediocre in 2012 to contender again in 2014? The Ravens need to copy that formula.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Although I am reluctant to agree with your last sentence, "passed by the Browns" sends a chill up my spine, I do agree with the rest of your post. Thing is the powers that be are hesitant to make sweeping changes, so we're bound to get more of same... Bc
    Bc, unless I'm mistaken, the Browns now have a legit GM. Hue is nothing special, but he, too, is legitimately an NFL-level HC. Now, they have the 1st and 4th pick in each of the first two rounds, plus many other worthwhile picks. Imagine with the first four picks they get decent starters at QB, OL, RB, and WR, then get lucky on just one or two other D players later. This post will be poo-pooed, by many on this board. Some will believe the Browns will always be bad. Some of those people also once believed the Ravens would always be good. Before you laugh too hard, think Elam, A. Brown, Stewart, Correa, Perriman, M. Williams -- enough? Then throw in time management; late 4th quarter collapses; aged coordinators and a revolving door. It is not impossible the Browns could pass us.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I don't disagree, but the question still remains "would we allocate that extra cap money wisely?"
    Lately, even with limited cap $ to spend, that doesn't seem to be the case... Bc
    No doubt that's a valid concern. Most likely starts with the draft. If they draft wisely (and that's a huge concern), then they can spend their FA $$$ more wisely. But as we know the Weddle and Jefferson FA signings were due to bad draft picks not working out.

Blog Entries

They need to do it when a whole new coaching staff comes in. Get rid of the dead weight

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Bc, unless I'm mistaken, the Browns now have a legit GM. Hue is nothing special, but he, too, is legitimately an NFL-level HC. Now, they have the 1st and 4th pick in each of the first two rounds, plus many other worthwhile picks. Imagine with the first four picks they get decent starters at QB, OL, RB, and WR, then get lucky on just one or two other D players later. This post will be poo-pooed, by many on this board. Some will believe the Browns will always be bad. Some of those people also once believed the Ravens would always be good. Before you laugh too hard, think Elam, A. Brown, Stewart, Correa, Perriman, M. Williams -- enough? Then throw in time management; late 4th quarter collapses; aged coordinators and a revolving door. It is not impossible the Browns could pass us.
    hr, oh I'm not laughing at the Browns. John Dorsey (an actual real football man) hired Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith. With so many multiple high picks, plus a ton of cap space, the Browns can become dangerous if this new administration has even a decent knowledge about how to build a roster. Don't know if Hue Jackson is the Head Coach to guide this new influx of talent, but Dorsey won't put up with another awful season and would likely hire a new (veteran) HC in 2019. I shudder to think that the Ravens and Browns are headed in opposite directions... Bc

Looking at the Browns cap situation and draft slots this year compared to ours, it is totally possible we're fighting with them for 4th place in the division.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan55 View Post
    Looking at the Browns cap situation and draft slots this year compared to ours, it is totally possible we're fighting with them for 4th place in the division.
    As long as we have Joe Flacco and they have no one we'll never be fighting for 4th place with them. This is easier said then done, but if Ozzie has a decent offensive draft and picks up a playemaker or two (including FA) all of a suddenly this isn't looking so bad.

Here are the current 2019 committments according to Spotrac:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/cap/2019/

They have a total of $148,312,850. With a cap of $178 mil (which will probably be more by then), that's $29.687 mil in cap room. Now because we're looking at a drafts' worth of players and some free agents, that number will be significantly lower. However, it's not that bad.

In addition to that, you can save a huge amount of money by cutting certain players before June 1, 2019:

10.5 mil - Joe Flacco (16.0 mil dead)
    9.5 mil - Jimmy Smith (6.675 mil dead)
    7.0 mil - Marshall Yanda (3.125 mil dead)
    6.5 mil - Eric Weddle (1.75 mil dead)
    6.5 mil - Austin Howard (1.0 mil dead)
    5.0 mil - Brandon Carr (2.0 mil dead)
    3.0 mil - Danny Woodead (0.75 mil dead)

A few of these guys could be cut this off season, meaning they'd have no dead money in 2019. I imagine Weddle and Carr are givens next off season. If you want to save even more money, you can get rid of the Kamelei Correa's and Anthony Levine's on the team.

2020? It's pretty much just Joe Flacco, Brandon Williams, and Tony Jefferson on big deals. Cutting Joe alone would save 20.25 mil against the cap!

There will be no great cap purge... the cap will clear up by itself because the team can't pay big money this off season.

been saying it for a while ravens need fresh ppl in the building. whatever pat and dick and whoever is doing with contracts has been BAD for a while