Page 1 of 23 123 ... LastLast

Diggs' Mom to Ozzie: "They should fire your a$$"

This is kinda amazing. I LOL'd.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/10/ad...8-nfl-playoffs

Make no mistake, though: When Stefon left Maryland as a junior and declared in each of his interviews at the 2015 NFL scouting combine, “I’m the best receiver in this draft, just so you know”—that wasn’t just Aron talking. This cocksuredness comes as much from Stephanie, who was in Tampa last January to watch Trevon play for the CFP championship when she ran into Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome. “You didn’t pick my son,” she blurted out. “They should fire your ass!”

Of course, plenty of GMs didn't pick him for a long time...but still.

On another note, remember when we got to read cool stories like this about our players as the team advanced deeper and deeper into the postseason? Sigh.

Re: Diggs' Mom to Ozzie: "They should fire your a$$"

I think much of a WR's development comes from the Quarterback play. Let's say Pittsburgh drafted the same WR's as Ozzie over the years. Are they all still as putrid with Roethlisberger as they've been for Flacco and Boller? Let's be honest, Diggs probably would have faltered here.

Quote Originally Posted by unbelievable View Post
    I think much of a WR's development comes from the Quarterback play. Let's say Pittsburgh drafted the same WR's as Ozzie over the years. Are they all still as putrid with Roethlisberger as they've been for Flacco and Boller? Let's be honest, Diggs probably would have faltered here.
    Conflating Flacco and Boller? Suppose we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

Blog Entries

Is that why BOTH Thielen and Diggs have thrived in Minn with not great QBs, and why JuJu just out up 140 yards with Landry Jones at QB?

I think you vastly overrated the impact of a QB on a WR.

Dominant WRs get theirs. It helps them to play within a better offense or with a better QB.

But they get theirs even if not.

I get that you don't like Flacco...but don't be an idiot and think that the likes of Josh Gordon and Nuk wouldn't do well with Flacco, when they've proven to do well with far lesser QBs.

Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone acts like if we would've drafted Diggs, he would've been this electric playmaker from the get go, but they fail to realize the Ravens don't put much effort or resources into the offensive side of the ball, hence why they can't develop receivers to save their lives. If we would've drafted Diggs, I guarantee his development would've been stunted and we'd be labeling him a bust. Same goes for if the Steelers or Giants would've drafted Perriman. He probably would've developed into a good receiver because those teams actually capable of developing receivers.

Only a player like OBJ or Nuk would've been Ravens-proof.
    "Put your goggles on, 'cause there's gonna be blood and guts everywhere!" - SSSr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NestMinder View Post
    Typical hyperbole from the "flacco sucks " crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaniacx View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone acts like if we would've drafted Diggs, he would've been this electric playmaker from the get go, but they fail to realize the Ravens don't put much effort or resources into the offensive side of the ball, hence why they can't develop receivers to save their lives.
    While I don't disagree with your overall point about the team's inability (or disinterest) in developing offensive players, it's not really hindsight when I remember a lot of folks on this board wanted them to take Diggs, ESPECIALLY when he was still sitting there in the 4th and we had 3 picks coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by NestMinder View Post
    Pretty much. We need an AJ Green type of WR to truly make a difference in this offense and usually you have to draft top 10 for those type of guys. Beckham has been our closest shot at drafting a truly elite playmaker in recent years but Ozzie is scared to give up his 3rd round busts to move up a few spots. But let's be honest here, Flacco can't elevate a WR's play the same way Kyle Boller couldn't. Flacco is miles a head of Boller as a quarterback but that's not saying much. Plus, Diggs would have probably got lost in Harbaugh's doghouse anyway.

I disagree, Diggs was a known talent and it was know across the country how Putrid MD QB situation was back then. It was mind boggling Torrey Went as early as he did. But we heard of the Ravens privately working him out. We never heard of that with Diggs and quite possibly because of his injury history but a 5th round pick?

The Ravens 2 5th rounders that year was Nick Boyle and G Robert Myers who didn't even make the team that same year. Rarely does a pick get cut his first year with the Ravens but he did. So they could have traded up to get Diggs but Playmakers are not on Ozzies Radar EVER

LOL.

I don't think they should "fire his ass", but everybody here knows how I felt about stupidly passing on him...I was losing my mind during that draft as pick after pick we passed.

One of the most frustrating drafts I can remember watching.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Pretty much. We need an AJ Green type of WR to truly make a difference in this offense and usually you have to draft top 10 for those type of guys. Beckham has been our closest shot at drafting a truly elite playmaker in recent years but Ozzie is scared to give up his 3rd round busts to move up a few spots. But let's be honest here, Flacco can't elevate a WR's play the same way Kyle Boller couldn't. Flacco is miles a head of Boller as a quarterback but that's not saying much. Plus, Diggs would have probably got lost in Harbaugh's doghouse anyway.
    Who has Diggs been catching passes from?

And 100% on the doghouse comment. Or he'd have gotten hurt playing special teams.

I remember how painful it was passing on Keenan Allen twice. If you don't recall we took Matt Elam first and Arthur Brown 2nd